Author Topic: Sudden loss of husband--new  (Read 20947 times)

kay

• View Profile
Sudden loss of husband--new
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
My husband--the most compassionate, caring man in the world died suddenly of a heart attack 5 weeks ago.  This is my 3rd day back at work and I still cannot concentrate.  I was searching for a website to give me words of encouragement and came across this one.  I read some of the posted messages and am amazed how much I identify with so many of them.  The circumstances surrounding his death were simply horrible.  I do not have the energy now to write it out--but I will be visiting again and hope to be able to tell the full story.  I really don't know how I am going to make it without him.  He was my everything.  I know God is holding me during this time.  I pray for all of you who have had to experience this pain.

jazzgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden loss of husband--new
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »
Kay,

I am so sorry to hear for your loss. It is very hard to concentate on "normal" every day activities after such a tragedy has happened. We call it just a fog because it is like you are walking around and doing things only b/c you have too, but we are not all there. I remember having to keep getting up every morning and walking my children to there classes. I don't even feel like I was there. People would talk to me, and I wouldn't even be paying attention to them. This went on for quite a few months.
Just remember we are here for you. I can't tell you how this site has helped me thru a lot of bad days. Good luck with everything.

Crushed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »
kay, I am so sorry for you and your loss of your beloved husband. This websiite has been a blessing for me and you will find alot of love and comfort here. I felt as you do about going on a mere 4 and 1/2 months ago and I have learned that I can and will. It is a much differant life that I had or wanted, but it can and will be a good one. I am way stonger than I gave myself credit for and I'll bet you are too. I think all of  us are! As your emotions settle down, you will find the strength to go on. Praying for you as you begin this journey.  Crushed

Lonnie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:35 PM »
Hi Kay: What a tribute to your husband that you can say he was a caring and compassionate man. How blessed you were to have shared life and love with him. But I know it does not feel like it was long enough. It never does, and to lose him so unexpectedly must have been a total shock. I am sorry that it was a horrible death, and you are welcome to talk about it or not as you feel led. You will find this a safe and healing place to run to. Everyone is so kind, and we all know the pain of losing a loved one. But at least you are with people who will listen, and try to understand in a way that others may not be capable of. I hope you will share more about yourself when you feel like it, and I just wanted to say you are welcome here! I pray that it will be the place of comfort for you that it has been for me! Many Prayers, Lonnie

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:57:45 AM »
What is this?  How?  How can this be?  How can everything be wonderful and going fine and then a loved one snatched away and it is over?  Something is really wrong with this picture!  Mornings are so hard for me--waking up to remember what has happened all over again.  I loved my husband so much--we were truly soulmates.   Death is a cruel, cruel enemy.  I look forward to the day when the Bible says death will be destroyed. It's still hard to believe that this has happened.  Thanks to everyone who responded with words of encouragement.

Sad Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:23:36 AM »
Hi Kay,

So sorry for the sudden loss of your husband.  The days and weeks after a loved ones passing are like walking around in a fog.  I remember being numb with the pain, shock and sorrow of it all.  Grieving is a long and rocky road, don't push yourself to "get back to normal", you have to settle into your new normal routine and sometime that takes awhile.  Remember to take care of yourself, endulge yourself with things that bring you comfort.  You will always find a shoulder to lean on at this site.  Take Care!!

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:26:42 AM »
Kay - I am so saddened by your story.... and so sorry for the loss of your precious hubby.... I am glad you have found this site.. full of people so caring and understanding.. people who "get it" without long explanations.. I do hope you will come back and share more when you can.. and know that we are always here when you need us..

I lost my nephew Christopher to a hit and run driver in 2003. Chris is my brother's only child.. he was almost 17 when he was killed.. we miss him beyond words.. I do not know how I would have made it through the past years without this group..

luv and hugs, Karen
proud aunt of Christopher

Trisho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:38:09 AM »
Dear Kay -  I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my fiancee 11-14-2005 to a sudden heart attack.  I am the one who discovered him and the memory of that day will never escape my mind.  Things trigger the flashbacks and all we can do is take little baby steps forward.  Give yourself time and remember that this is a safe place.  This site has helped me tremendously thru this journey and I have encountered some wonderful people.  I will keep you in my prayers and send you blessings that God will help you along the way.  Trisho

Autumn Leaves

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:06:32 AM »
Kay, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I lost my husband of 35 years seven months ago and it took a month or two before the fog lifted for me. I'd thought we'd be together forever and we had plans on traveling and touring the country in an RV after taking early retirements. It wasn't meant to be though.

You will someday soon have good days and more and more good days and you will think you're doing good when something smacks you upside the head and brings all the hurt and anger back. Life will get better though.

We are all here to listen and talk and understand what you're going through because we're going through it. We'll all give you virtual hugs and shoulders to cry on.
RJ

Lonnie

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
Trisho:   Hugs, hugs, hugs!   :D So wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are doing alright! I miss talking to you. You have been a great help to me in the past. Hope to hear from you again soon! Lonnie

Autumn Leaves

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:42 AM »
Kay, just hang in there. I can promise you that your life will get better again, someday. It won't be the same but it will improve. It doesn't seem possible now but your grief is still so fresh. It's like an open wound that throbs and bleeds. It'll take a while to scab over and then the scab will sometimes be peeled off, causing the wound to throb and bleed again. Eventually it will heel but there will be a scar so you will never forget the wound to your heart and soul that you have recently felt.
We are here for you.
RJ

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:29:50 AM »
Death is so strange and foreign--to still be alive and yet experience the seperation that this loss has brought is hard for me to come to grips with.  I am encouraged to hear how you all have made it this far--but I don't know how you did it.  Sometimes I pray and tell God that this is just too much for me.  I thank him for 31 wonderful years with my husband, but it seems like that makes the hurt so much deeper.  I feel lost, alone and the future very dim.  I feel like God will bring me through this, but I will not ever be really happy again.  I am still trying to rationalize all this in my mind.   I have family and friends all around me but I still feel so alone.  They have their own lives and can still laugh and be happy--I felt no one could understand my pain.  Thank God for this website.  I am praying for all of you--please continue to do the same for me.

Autumn Leaves

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »
Kay, it is all still too fresh for you to deal with. you're dealing with the physical loss of your soul mate being gone and you're dealing with legal stuff and taking care of your family and friends, all while going on with your life and normal routines. You're still in the fog. You want your hubby but he's gone forever. You need someone to hug, to sleep with, to cry with, someone to talk to.

I know this probably sounds silly and I haven't told anyone but it's helped. Go out to a toy store (or Walmart or Target) and find a really nice, soft teddy bear. Feel him, pet him, look at him, look in his eyes. Find one that grabs your attention, that makes you want to look twice, makes you want to hold him. (Kind of like a little puppy or kitten). Buy it and take it home and put it on your bed. Put it on your hubby's pillow and tuck him in. hold him at night, hug him, talk to him, cry on his shoulder.

I was in a drug store and saw some stuffed animals that had packets in their bodies that you could heat or freeze to place on tight muscles. They had dogs and cats and bears. I saw Buddy Bear (yeah, that's what his name was) and he was so cute. He had the brownest eyes and a nice round head. He sits up (because of the bag of beans or rice or whatever it is in his tummy and bottom). He looked so intelligent and understanding. he was $20 and I wasn't going to get him because that was a lot of money for a stuffed heating/cooling bag so I walked around the aisle but I walked back and looked at him again and I swore he was looking at me with his big brown compassionate eyes. Well, I ended up buying him and he sits on a shelf on my bed. I sit him next to my pillow when I go to sleep every night. i always pat his head and his tummy and sometimes hug him or cry on his head. He's a comfort because I know Buddy's always there waiting for me.

I bought a new bed, downsizing from king size to full size less than four months after my hubby died, mainly because of the memories. I'd bought a new king size bed less than ten months earlier but my hubby was bedridden by then so spent all his days except when he was hospitalized in that bed. I changed his diapers, cleaned up after him, bathed him, did his physical therapy there, gave him his insulin and other shots, took care of his wounds, helped him get out of bed when he was still able or lifted/pulled/dragged him out of bed when he wasn't able to do it himself. The bed had too many memories of him as an invalid and no matter where I moved the bed around the bedroom, I kept visualizing him as he was when he was last there. It wasn't practical to give away a ten month old bed that had cost $1200 or more or two sets of 400 count sheets or the king size electric mattess pad or the comforter that cost $70 on sale but it was a matter of survival. I bought a new full size bed, new sheets, new blankets, new comforter, new electric mattress pad, new pillows, and totally rearranged the bedroom. Now I don't picture my hubby as an invalid anymore but have replaced that vision with him playing his guitar, riding his motorcycle, piloting the airplane, scuba diving in the lake, activities he loved but hadn't been able to do in a year.

RJ

Lonnie

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
Ruth: I love your idea about the Buddy Bear. How cute that his big brown eyes were looking at you!   ;D It's funny, but my daughter broke up with her boyfriend before she moved out. He had given her the biggest and softest bear that I have ever seen for Valentine's Day. He felt so good to hug!  :D  So he's still on her closet shelf, in case I'm having a bad day and need him to hold onto! Guess we never outgrow our teddy bears. My favorite teddy was named Pinky! I won him at the fair when I was little!  But he's long gone now. I think that is a great practical idea. And you said he was intelligent looking and understanding? Less trouble than a pet...Nicer than some relatives... LOL!
A very wise choice to replace the bed. Bad memories are not worth it at any price. I am a member of Flylady.net (a free organizational group) and she always says to get rid of anything that makes you feel bad. If you don't love it, don't keep it. Bless your heart, you certainly were a great caregiver for your husband. You can always know that you did your best, and I know he appreciated it so much! Enjoy your new bed!!! Hugs-Lonnie

Lonnie

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
Kay: I am so glad that you are here. Your grief is so raw, and you are still in great shock at the moment. I just wanted you to know that we are here for you, and the people on these boards will listen and love you through it all. Sometimes it does make us all angry to see the world just continuing on as if our loved one hadn't died. We are so painfully aware of it every moment. My mom was married to my dad for 44 years. He died 2 years ago, and I didn't think she would ever even try to go on without him. But she chose to live until it is her time to join him. Life has been painfully hard for her (and me) as we try to take care of all the things he once took care of. Sheesh-even taking the huge trash can to the curb on schedule was new to us. In the beginning, like Ruth said, there are so many things to take care of. It is so overwhelming! Funeral arrangements, legal issues, bills, death certificates, etc. That part will get better in time. At first, my mom's bills were overwhelming for us-my dad was the bookkeeper. But we got it all figured out and things have gotten smoother. My mom doesn't drive anymore, so I do all her errands. It is amazing how much has to be done just to live, isn't it? I always say we are like Lucy and Ethel, but somehow we get most of it done. I hope you do have someone to help you. I know that no one can fully understand the loss you are dealing with unless they have been through it also. So many of our ladies here are widows, and some quite recently widowed. They will be here for you also to offer some encouragement and some tips that have helped them cope. Please drop by anytime and let us know how you are doing. Many hugs are coming your way sweet one! Lonnie
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:49:07 AM by Lonnie »