Author Topic: For our beloved pets that help us with the loss of our loved ones  (Read 3562 times)

JustMark

• View Profile
We should never underestimate the emotional, physical, spiritual and therapeutic value of a pet in helping us deal with the loss of a loved one. This thread is dedicated as a memorial to those of us that were comforted, motivated or in some other way helped us deal with our greif. Sometimes we may also forget that they too can experience grief and loss as well. For some of us they are very much an integral part of our family and others their most trusted friend. So with discussing the recent loss of one of my dogs to cancer who helped me cope with the loss of my wife with other members we felt it a good idea to have a thread to memorialize our pets. So I'll make the first post and we invite others to post about their pets as well.

JustMark

• View Profile
Re: For our beloved pets that help us with the loss of our loved ones
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »
A Special Place for Tunnie

You have a special place Dear Lord
  that I know you'll always keep
A special place reserved for dogs
  when they quietly fall asleep
With large and airy kennels
  and a yard for hiding bones
With maybe a little babbling creek
  that chatters over stones.
With wide green fields and flowers
  for those who never knew
about running freely under
  Your sky of perfect blue.
Lord, I know You keep this Special Place
  And so to you I Pray,
For one Special Fila Mastiff
  Who quietly died today
She was full of strength & love
  and so very, very wise.
The puppy look she once had
  Had long since left her eyes.
She is dearly missed my Lord
  By a very good friend of mine.
She went to join her ancestors
  To Your land that is Devine
So, speak to Tunnie softly please
  And give her a warm hello.
She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord
  From Mark, who loved her so.

5 May 2009 – 2 April 2018     

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »

Such a beautiful poem, Mark. :tearyeyed: Thanks so much for sharing this.

Veronica1992

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
Loss of the pet for me is quite comparable to the loss of a person, it also hurts. Thank you for sharing your poem, it's wonderful.

JustMark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »
Thank you Terry and Veronica, I'm not the author. It was marked author unknown. I ran across several that were nice but this one seemed to be good for Tunnie and all I did was change a very few words to indicate she instead of he and put in Tunnie's breed. With every pet that passes I search for a poem that is suited for the personality of each one and save it in a folder on my hard drive where I keep pictures and videos of them. Even Tippy my first dog that was a pup given to me when I was 10 years old. In dealing with Gina's death and what seemed like an empty home at times. Tunnie helped me the most. The nights that I would cry Tunnie would climb up in bed and ever so gently put her paw on my shoulder and give me that look like "it's going to be OK" and then sit there until I drifted off to sleep.