Author Topic: New to Group  (Read 2436 times)

lorimarie

• View Profile
New to Group
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
Hello!  I have joined this group due to experiencing my own health issues (cancer, past and present, sudden and unexpected loss of my husband this past March and my son being diagnosed and treated for thyroid cancer.

I am feeling lonely, lost and depressed and am looking for a support system.  I actually wrote the details of all that has happened since December 2016 but I lost it because I wasn't logged into the site.  I don't feel like rewriting all the details again at the moment so I'll just start with this introduction.  Thank you!

JustMark

• View Profile
Re: New to Group
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
Hi Lorimarie, I'm glad to meet you and you are more then welcome here. From the bottom of my heart I'm sorry about your husband and the news about your son. Those burdens can be hard to carry alone. It's also hard at time to find someone that can relate to what you are going through. So we try to help each other around here. We talk about what we are going through or what works for us so that others coming here looking for support and answers on coping with loss can come here for help. So I guess you could say everyone that comes here has given helpful advice as well as gotten helpful advice. We also do not judge others here nor try to correct people. Regardless of the exact reason why people come here we respect everyone and treat everyone equally because we all understand what it's like in one form or another. So if you are going through a rough spot don't be afraid to share it. If you have advice or experience you think may help someone don't be afraid to share that too. No one that comes here is a final authority on grieving all of us are just students of it in various stages of development.

I came to this site just this last April in seeking support for the passing of my wife this last March. Unknown to me at the time I found during the grieving process with my wife I still hadn't gotten over the death of my dad back in 2001. I also have medical and health issues as well, I'm just too stubborn to let them hold me back and I will often say I'm only disabled but far from unabled. Sometimes I will also say I'm handicapable.  My disabilities only slow me down. They do not stop me. I guess you could say I learned those 2 lessons from my multiply handicapped daughter named Angel. So I can definitely relate to some of what you are going through and in other parts perhaps not. I will admit that Angel has a genetic disorder and wasn't diagnosed with cancer but with Angel we are in completely uncharted territory. I lost count of the number of times the doctors has given her a certain length of time to live or what she will not do and she just keeps proving the doctors wrong.  In 1985 just after she was born they said she wouldn't live past 3 and then they changed it when she got close to 3 and then changed it again and now she is 32 and the doctors don't predict with her anymore. There were times it was touch and go with Angel but she has turned out to be quite a good teacher for me as well as a very loving daughter. So our steps or exact walk through life maybe different and yet they can also be similar enough to understand.