Author Topic: I'm new to these grief discussions....but I belong here  (Read 7882 times)

travelvet

• nospam
    • View Profile
I'm new to these grief discussions....but I belong here
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
My Mom passed away very recently on October 3, 2014. She was 89 years old. I think I'm still in shock over it all. Yet I also feel guilt over her passing also. I live in the Tulsa and had planned to take a road trip up to Boston (where my Mom lived) on Sept 23rd through early Oct. My right knee gave out so I needed urgent surgery preventing me from taking the trip. I found out about my Mom's passing once I entered recovery after my surgery. My Mom had spent the last few months of her life in a rehab facility to re-gain strength in her legs so she could use a walker again to get around. But it didn't quite work that way. They began experimenting with her meds and every time she would raise her head or turn her head, she would get nauseous and have dry heaves and dizziness. That meant she had to postpone her physical therapy each day. So she basically sat in a wheelchair, sick to her stomach and in adult diapers for most of the days. She begged my sister constantly to take her home. My sister and I would have lengthy phone conversations about Mom's health. I also arranged for Verizon to put a phone by her bed (she slept with that phone) so that I could call her daily or twice daily. I wanted her to remain in touch with what friends she had remaining. My sister spent most days and every night she would bring our Mom a dessert and spend hours by her bedside. My sister was her caretaker for the past 20 years. Anyway, my last conversation with my Mom was to tell her about my knee surgery and that I promised to call her the next day after my surgery. Her friend Alice stepped into the room. My Mom told me that Alice was there and my last words were ok...I'll let you go. I'm so sad and filled with guilt at the same time. I wished I could have done something for her before she died. She died in her sleep. I couldn't even go to her funeral because of the distance from Tulsa to Boston and recovering from my own surgery. I'm long winded here and extremely sad :(

Janka

• My beloved Jan-a.d. 11/11/11
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new to these grief discussions....but I belong here
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
Dear travelvet!

I´m sorry for your loss!

Hugs from Janka
​I always kiss you from the heart,my endless love,
you know how much I love you,also stars above,
you will always be my dearest and only one,
I can not wait to be with you,my beloved Jan.

Janka

travelvet

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
Thank you very much. I posted and didn't even think anyone would read or care about what I'm going through. Today, my stomach has been all in knots. I don't even know what normal is anymore.

Janka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Dear travelvet!

There are great people here knowing what you´ve been going through by now.I came here 1 month ago because of the loss of my beloved man Jan.You can read my story,messages and poems I write for him from the bottom of my heart.I hope you find the friends on here helping you as much as possible to subdue your grief and pain.I´m thankful I have found this site though later,yet have.I wish you find a support and comfort on here as well as myself.I´m always here for you.You can write me anytime you need.
Take care and please remember that we all will be one day with our loved ones till eternity!

Hug you from the heart!

Janka

Janka

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
My Mom passed away very recently on October 3, 2014. She was 89 years old. I think I'm still in shock over it all. Yet I also feel guilt over her passing also. I live in the Tulsa and had planned to take a road trip up to Boston (where my Mom lived) on Sept 23rd through early Oct. My right knee gave out so I needed urgent surgery preventing me from taking the trip. I found out about my Mom's passing once I entered recovery after my surgery. My Mom had spent the last few months of her life in a rehab facility to re-gain strength in her legs so she could use a walker again to get around. But it didn't quite work that way. They began experimenting with her meds and every time she would raise her head or turn her head, she would get nauseous and have dry heaves and dizziness. That meant she had to postpone her physical therapy each day. So she basically sat in a wheelchair, sick to her stomach and in adult diapers for most of the days. She begged my sister constantly to take her home. My sister and I would have lengthy phone conversations about Mom's health. I also arranged for Verizon to put a phone by her bed (she slept with that phone) so that I could call her daily or twice daily. I wanted her to remain in touch with what friends she had remaining. My sister spent most days and every night she would bring our Mom a dessert and spend hours by her bedside. My sister was her caretaker for the past 20 years. Anyway, my last conversation with my Mom was to tell her about my knee surgery and that I promised to call her the next day after my surgery. Her friend Alice stepped into the room. My Mom told me that Alice was there and my last words were ok...I'll let you go. I'm so sad and filled with guilt at the same time. I wished I could have done something for her before she died. She died in her sleep. I couldn't even go to her funeral because of the distance from Tulsa to Boston and recovering from my own surgery. I'm long winded here and extremely sad :(

(((((((travelvet)))))))

I'm so sorry that your precious Mom has died. Welcome to Webhealing. I'm glad you found us. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It's always difficult when we want to be in a place and we're not able to but I'm sure your Mom knew how much you loved her and you were with her in spirit. I believe that.

With the holidays approaching it's an even sadder time as this is all about family. I do hope you can get together with one another for comfort.

Wishing you continued strength from your surgery and also while grieving for your precious Mom.

We're always here for you. Post as often as you'd like or need.

Much love,
Terry

Munchey

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »

TRAVELVET:
I'm so sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I find that it can be helpful to reach out to others who are going through the same things you are. May you find comfort in the fact that your mom likely passed without lengthy suffering.  I'm so sorry that the trip you planned didn't become a reality, but it likely gave your mom something joyful to look forward to during her last days.

My father passed on October 1.  My mom was hospitalized a couple of weeks before that.   I don't think my mom will ever come home.  Along with some other serious health issues, it is as if someone threw a switch and her short-term memory is gone.  She is suffering and wants to die.  On every visit, she keeps repeating the same thing, "I wish someone would shoot me or hit me on the head - a dog wouldn't be allowed to live like this".  Mom shared with me a few weeks ago, that she had hoped that she would die in her sleep one day, or have that fatal heart attack or stroke.  She never thought she would suffer and linger as she is now.

Even though we can recognize that our parents have become frail, it is still a shock to lose them. I just pray that my mom's suffering doesn't continue much longer.  Longevity can be a wonderful thing, but when you reach a point of relentless suffering, it can be a bad thing.  In some ways, I'm already grieving for the loss of both my parents right now.

May you find some comfort in the fact that your mother was looking forward to your trip together and that likely gave her some happiness.  It sounds like she died suddenly and without lenghty suffering.  May you continue to find ways to comfort your grief in the days, months, years ahead.

Munchey

travelvet

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
So sorry for your loss of your father and what you must be going through with your mother. My Dad passed away at the young age of 63 from lung cancer. His suffering began with his diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer at Christmas, 1989. At that same time, I was in a near fatal car accident where a drunk teen driver hit me at 65mph. The paramedics had to use the jaws of life to extract me. But I can still remember feeling like I had an out of body experience. I was suppose to start college in Jan. 1990. But I was to upset after hearing about my Dad's lung cancer. I traveled to Boston from Tulsa every 3 weeks until his funeral. Each time he looked weaker and more ravished from that horrible cancer. He died the end of May 1990. I had a terrible time grieving over him. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital only 7 weeks after his death. My diagnosis was severe bereavement.

Some how I believe that the manner of death and the closeness of that particular relationship...has something to do with how we personally grieve. My Mom used to pray she would die in her sleep. That's what she truly wanted and she passed at the same age as her sister at 89 years old. Only her sister fell off a kitchen chair and broke her hip in two places. My cousin told me about how my aunt's screaming in agony was heard down the hospital hallways. So yes, it does give me some comfort that my mother passed in her sleep peacefully as she desired.

But I still morn her death as it was sudden and I wasn't ready. I thought she had more life left in her. She was an extremely strong woman and never once complained about any aches or pains. She had more than 20 years of skin cancer and had her face and scalp totally reconstructed, had lengthy back surgery at 80 and a stroke at 85. She lived on the third floor in a tiny apartment for 26 years. It wasn't until the last 3 years that those stairs aggravated her. She wouldn't complain though. She only reminded us of how many steps she had to climb to get to her front door.

She was really a social person throughout most of her life. She loved her bingo games. And even managed to play bingo while nearly blind and having carpel tunnel in both arms in braces. Although the last couple of years, her mental stability declined and some dementia set in with a bit of paranoia. All in all, my Mom had a very long and interesting life.But I'm still so very sad that she died. I thought she'd make a comeback, like she did after her stroke.

Janka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »
Dear Munchey!

I´m sorry for your loss,too!

Hugs from Janka

Janka

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »

TRAVELVET:
I'm so sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I find that it can be helpful to reach out to others who are going through the same things you are. May you find comfort in the fact that your mom likely passed without lengthy suffering.  I'm so sorry that the trip you planned didn't become a reality, but it likely gave your mom something joyful to look forward to during her last days.

My father passed on October 1.  My mom was hospitalized a couple of weeks before that.   I don't think my mom will ever come home.  Along with some other serious health issues, it is as if someone threw a switch and her short-term memory is gone.  She is suffering and wants to die.  On every visit, she keeps repeating the same thing, "I wish someone would shoot me or hit me on the head - a dog wouldn't be allowed to live like this".  Mom shared with me a few weeks ago, that she had hoped that she would die in her sleep one day, or have that fatal heart attack or stroke.  She never thought she would suffer and linger as she is now.

Even though we can recognize that our parents have become frail, it is still a shock to lose them. I just pray that my mom's suffering doesn't continue much longer.  Longevity can be a wonderful thing, but when you reach a point of relentless suffering, it can be a bad thing.  In some ways, I'm already grieving for the loss of both my parents right now.

May you find some comfort in the fact that your mother was looking forward to your trip together and that likely gave her some happiness.  It sounds like she died suddenly and without lenghty suffering.  May you continue to find ways to comfort your grief in the days, months, years ahead.

Munchey

((((Munchey))))

I'm sorry to read that your precious Father has died. And, also that your Mom is not doing well. Welcome to Webhealing and thank you for sharing your story with us. It helps to share as much as we are able after our losses as it is one of the ways we heal our hearts.

I will keep your precious Mom close in thoughts and wishes for peace to find her heart and also for yours.

With love and understanding,
Terry

Munchey

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

Travelvet, Terry and  Janka:
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and support.  It is very much appreciated.

Travelvet:
Sorry about losing your dad in the prime of his life and the circumstances around that event.  I'm glad that your mom was such a strong woman.  It is wonderful that she led an interesting life.

I hope your knee is healing and rehabbing well.

Munchey
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:17:15 PM by Munchey »