Author Topic: My sister's birthday  (Read 7275 times)

Gail08

• nospam
  • Where Jolene flew into the wind
    • View Profile
My sister's birthday
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Tomorrow is my sister's birthday and I am so dreading the day.  If she were still alive we would be together.  I would either be going to be treating her to an all-day celebration on the town or be giving her her gift in some fun way.  An example of how I gave her her gift one year was I put her gift in the bottom of a shirt box.  I then placed layers of tissue paper on top of it.  On top of each layer of tissue paper I placed a card with a trivia question on it.  She would have to answer a question before she could take off each layer of tissue paper.  She loved it and we both had so much fun.  As far as a celebration on the town, one year I treated her to a movie, lunch, shopping and a treat of her choice (she chose a snow cone).  She had fun enjoying her day of being treated, I had fun treating her and we both had fun spending time together.  I would give ANYTHING to be able to do something like that tomorrow.  From one birthday to the next neither of us knew how the other was going to give us our gift.  This may seem like something small to all of you but to us it was great fun and something we really enjoyed and looked forward to each year.  I just miss her SOOOOO much and tomorrow is going to be so hard without my mother's support to get through the day.
G                                  Sisters 2 the end
  A                                Friends 2 the end
     I                   _________________________
 J O L E N E              In my heart 4 ever

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: My sister's birthday
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »

Thanks for sharing birthday memories of precious Jolene. Our memories are sacred and they are forever.

Hugs :love9:

Doug1222

• nospam
  • Keep on keeping on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:53 AM »
(((((((Gail)))))))))

Birthdays are the hardest for me, too.

ScottW

• nospam
  • This is a picture of my sister, Jori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
Hi Gail.  Sorry for the tardy response. I hope you got through the birthday day ok. XO

Gail08

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
Thank you so much Doug and Scott for your thoughts. 

Scott, I did manage to get through the day with the help of a very good friend.  She planned a small celebration for Jolene's birthday.  We had cupcakes and we just talked about Jolene.  She asked questions about her and then she listened while I told stories about the things I did for Jolene on her birthdays of the past.  It was so very special and made me feel so much better.  I am blessed beyond measure to have this friend in my life. 

ScottW

• nospam
  • This is a picture of my sister, Jori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
That sounds like an awesome way to celebrate a birthday!  I really like the idea of focussing on Jolene (or in my case Jori) for the day.  Thanks for the great idea. It's really nice to 'hear from you'.

Gail08

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
Scott, it was really awesome. It made the day so much better and made me feel that much closer to Jolene. I really felt like Jolene was there with us enjoying her day like she did in years past.  I hope that you try it with Jori's birthday and that it helps you as much as it helped me.  It is great to hear from you too Scott.