Author Topic: Another anniversary  (Read 1860 times)

barb0617

• nospam
    • View Profile
Another anniversary
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
So tomorrow marks the 15th anniversary of that knock on the door at 3:30 in the morning, the news that changed our lives forever.  My Colleen was 15 at the time.  The first thing she said was Mom - nothing's ever gonna be the same, is it. I don't think I answered her question. I took charge, did what had to get done. Not sure how or where the strength came from. Then after the funeral my friend who had lost her husband to cancer at 47 wrote: you think the worst is over, but the worst is just beginning. She was so right. Got through the first year. Got through the 1st anniversary. Then I realized: after surviving all those days of that first year without him, I had to learn to live my life, the rest of my life, without my son.  As a family we've done a miraculous job learning to live as we know our Jimmy wants us to live. We suffer together.  We rejoice together. We try to glue together the million pieces of our broken hearts. We survive. We live.
Barb mom of Jim (1999) Tom (2007) and 2 surviving daughters

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
Re: Another anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
So tomorrow marks the 15th anniversary of that knock on the door at 3:30 in the morning, the news that changed our lives forever.  My Colleen was 15 at the time.  The first thing she said was Mom - nothing's ever gonna be the same, is it. I don't think I answered her question. I took charge, did what had to get done. Not sure how or where the strength came from. Then after the funeral my friend who had lost her husband to cancer at 47 wrote: you think the worst is over, but the worst is just beginning. She was so right. Got through the first year. Got through the 1st anniversary. Then I realized: after surviving all those days of that first year without him, I had to learn to live my life, the rest of my life, without my son.  As a family we've done a miraculous job learning to live as we know our Jimmy wants us to live. We suffer together.  We rejoice together. We try to glue together the million pieces of our broken hearts. We survive. We live.
Barb mom of Jim (1999) Tom (2007) and 2 surviving daughters

Will be thinking of you and your Jimmy tomorrow.

All my best to you and yours.
I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift

barb0617

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Another anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
Thank you, Sarah.  I'd like to hear about your Vincent.