Author Topic: sharing a story -  (Read 4813 times)

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
sharing a story -
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
Hi everyone. I normally post on the Child Loss forum, but thought I would share this with you all since it is about sibling loss. I was looking at the New York Times online this morning and ran across an article that caught my eye. It is about Jeff Garcia, a quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles. It is a touching story, here are some excerpts:

"Garcia said he was 7 years old in the late 1970s when his 6-year-old brother, Jason, drowned during a family camping trip in northern California. When Jeff was 8, his 5-year-old sister, Kimberly, tumbled out of the bed of a truck and sustained fatal head injuries.

I think Im very conscientious of how precious life is and how quickly life can be taken away from you, especially at times when it can be least expected, Garcia said Wednesday in a brief interview."

Ive never seen a quarterback as fired up as him, tight end L. J. Smith said. From high school on.

Ultimately, it is an intensity forged, in part, from tragedy.

I cant feel the things he felt from those incidents, Mornhinweg said of Garcia. However, I do know that hes very, very tough physically and very, very tough mentally. Hes been through a lot, both in his personal life and his football career. Hes had some ups and downs, and hes come out the other end, and it may very well have made him stronger.

Of course, there are still melancholy moments. Last month, Garcia became emotional as he described to Philadelphia reporters the close bond between him and his brother, Jason, telling how they did everything together wrestled, played soccer, everything.

I still think about if we all would have grown up together, that we all would have been in high school at the same time and it just would have been a fun life, Garcia said at the time. Who knows if I would be where Im at today, but I would give this up for him to be here with me.

If time and distance can never bring complete healing, they have brought context and perspective. A defeat to the Giants on Sunday would hurt, but losing a football game is not the end of the world, Garcia said Wednesday, no matter how devastating it can feel at the moment.

If this is the worst that were going to experience in our lives, then were living pretty good lives, he said.
- By JER LONGMAN
Published: January 5, 2007

if you'd like to read the whole story follow the link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/05/sports/football/05eagles.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&th&emc=th

His story touched my heart today.
Karen
proud aunt of Christopher

middle sis

• View Profile
Re: sharing a story -
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
Karen,
Thanks for sharing that story. I do believe that enduring what we have, It makes us stronger in some areas of our lives. However, I can't help but feel weakend by the overwhelming sadness I feel. Not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense, but I know that is how I feel.
Thanks again

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
Re: sharing a story -
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
I think I understand what you mean - as much as I can, not having lost my own sibling.

I think the strengthening comes with time, with the surviving, and eventually learning how to live again... all the while holding that person we lost deep within our hearts.

My loss is different, my nephew Christopher, my brother's only child. Killed at the age of 16 by a hit and run driver. So wrong in so many ways.

hugs, Karen