Author Topic: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder  (Read 5395 times)

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
How many of you have been diagnosed with PTSD since the loss of your child? And if so, can you please share with me therapy treatments that have worked for you.
Thank you.
Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »

I'm still waiting for Lassie to come back over the hill. :sad10:

So many traumas. Too little time.

Thinking of you and your Adam,
Love,
Terry

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

Paula - my Lassie statement, a striking resemblance to a joking or, worse, dismissive response....was not. It is true and very real in my life. And, I believe it's the reason I am an animal lover, always having at least five dogs at one time. I am forever trying to save Lassie. That trauma has never subsided for me and I still have nightmares of Lassie going over the hill. So, just as every child is unique in how they view something intended to be entertaining and comforting, another child will be scarred by it. The same for adults when we lose someone; I believe a lot has to do with how we handled our trauma's/disappointments in the past. But, the loss of my children is a much different monster of entangled emotions and I can't imagine anyone losing a child and not suffering with some form of PTSD, although most would be unwilling to discuss it. But, I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe others will join in with their opinions/feelings on the subject.

I have had PTSD for many years but have accepted it as it is and I don't let it isolate me, as I did in the past. I do still awake after being asleep only an hour or two - wide awake, as if I had just slept 8 hours. But, I'm used to it and I just walk around my property; go down and visit the horses, walk around my gardens and tire myself out and then go back to bed. I believe this is called the "Arousal" state of PTSD. I've posted a few links that are helpful but basically claim the same facts, just vary a bit and are all an interesting read. Let me know if you can relate to any of it.

Reliving: People with PTSD repeatedly relive the ordeal through thoughts and memories of the trauma. These may include flashbacks, hallucinations, and nightmares. They also may feel great distress when certain things remind them of the trauma, such as the anniversary date of the event.

Avoiding: The person may avoid people, places, thoughts, or situations that may remind him or her of the trauma. This can lead to feelings of detachment and isolation from family and friends, as well as a loss of interest in activities that the person once enjoyed.

Increased arousal: These include excessive emotions; problems relating to others, including feeling or showing affection; difficulty falling or staying asleep; irritability; outbursts of anger; difficulty concentrating; and being "jumpy" or easily startled. The person may also suffer physical symptoms, such as increased blood pressure and heart rate, rapid breathing, muscle tension, nausea, and diarrhea.

I basically suffer mostly from "Increased Arousal" but as I shared earlier, I have isolated and to a danger point. I don't, however have a problem relating to others or with displaying affection and I'm slow to anger. Avoidance was also a common state I lived in and something I had down to a fine art. I no longer suffer from these two particular symptoms although they do rear their ugly heads around significant dates. I also went through the hallucinations but I 'knew' they were hallucinations. I didn't think I was losing my mind, rather knew it was on overload and something needed to surface due to the fear. That fear had to manifest itself. I knew normalcy would return and that knowing was always a comfort.

And, though it's been offered in abundance, I have never taken medication for any of these symptoms. There are some medications that are very effective when these symptoms become debilitating and I'm sure have helped many people, as some would not be able to even function without them. I believe doctors are just too quick to numb a person's feelings when the reality of living strikes us and although it's painful at times, I'd rather be alert and understand what I'm feeling.

I hope my response was helpful or at least will give you something to compare or relate to, in regards to symptoms, etc.

http://www.ptsd.ne.gov/what-is-ptsd.html
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/what-is-ptsd.asp
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=posttraumatic_stress_disorder

What are some of your symptoms and how do you deal with them?

Look forward to hearing back from you! :icon_flower:

Love,
Terry

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Extreme fear, loss of bowel, heart rate accelerates to name a few; followed by a lingering depression.
Fearful of the telephone ringing bringing bad news or a knock on the door for the same reasons. Fear of the police, not looking at them as being community helpers but representing trouble to me and mine.

blindsided

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »
Paula,

There is real treatment for PTSD.  I was treated years ago after Philip died.  I went through EMDR with my therapist.  I recall at one point you were seeing a therapist, you should ask about this.  I went from having to take medication to no meds and having little to no flashbacks.  Of course it takes times and as I approach the ten year mark lots of emotions have gotten softer and I've learned to accept my journey and ride the waves.

There are also a number of good books out right now.  Pursue help for this, there is no point in living with it if you don't have to.  No, not everyone is gonna have good results but it certainly is worth the try.

Good luck,
Jeanne
Philip's mom forever

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
How many of you have been diagnosed with PTSD since the loss of your child? And if so, can you please share with me therapy treatments that have worked for you.
Thank you.
Paula

Paula:

My counselor did tell me that my sleep problems and occasional meltdowns, and . . . those sudden attacks fo grief that feel so out of the blue, and the way my mind in times of rest seems to default back to my son's hospital bed and reliving the moment I lost him - were symptomatic for PTSD.

I haven't been on meds, but after 3.5 years, I still see my counselor for an hour once a week, and mostly, he encouraages me to continue finding activities that add purpose and joy to my life, but also, that provide what he calls simple "distraction."  I try to focus outward and forward as much as I can, though I am terribly imperfect at that - which is to be expected, and I have to forgive myself and pick myself up and take that next step just about every other day still.

He also encourages me to look at this (the pain, the symptoms) as something that I have to learn to manage, not as something I am going to completely get over.  He tells me to stop thinking that someday I will be all better, but rather, that I will get better at living with this as time goes by.

I have gotten better, but it has been very slow.

I only very recently - in fact, earlier this week, thinkiing about some plans I have with the foster daughters and thinking of their future, realized, that for the first time since I lost my son, I was feeling the balance starting, just barely, to tip - that I wanted to live, more than I wanted to die.  I credit my two beautiful girls for this.  At this point, no matter what happens, I know they will always be in my life, and that has helped.

Stuff like this - what will really help you - can be very individual, but for me, it's been about acceptance, and pushing myself to move forward, and forgiving myself for the 20 million times I've had to deal with my backsliding.

Best wishes, Paula - my love and thoughts are with you,
Sarah

I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Thank you for responding Jeanne. I have tried EMDR with  my therapist several times; in fact just this week again. I know that it is a recognized treatment - just not for me. I keep on trying to pursue living in peace however with the other struggles my family members are going through I just keep on going up against it and it is very trying. I'm on the continuous pursuit because if not I would be actively trying to end it.

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Hi Sarah,
Many thanks to you too for responding to my post. I've been on meds mostly, tried 2 significant times to come off but I just can't & now I totally recognize that and accept it. I like the way your therapist approaches the grief pain - it's a different approach and I will work on that.
My heart feels so heavy at times that it feels like a true multi-pound weight pressing on me. It's not my heart; well not the physical one; just the emotional one.
I appreciate your support.
XO Paula

blindsided

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »
Paula,

You keep on trying and just know that life is gonna continually come at you... believe me I get it.  A little over a year ago my son-in-law was murdered and my daughter was left at the ripe old age of 28 to raise 4 small children alone.  So now she is a working mom and I am their caretaker and with that it means caretaking not only 4 grandchildren but watching a daughter walk this journey of grief missing her brother but now her husband.  It can all be overwhelming like right now strep throat is making its run through everyone.  The kids were only 5, twins 4 and baby 3 months when he was taken.  My how they have grown in just a year and we are still waiting for the SOB who took their father to go to trial which seems it will be one long wait.  He was out of town when this happened actually out of state and I don't have anything nice to say about the state of New Jersey ( don't mean to offend any who may live there ).  Our justice system while is better than most can still suck when it comes to being a victim.

Ok, sorry for the rant.  Just know that life will slap us down but I do like what Sarah wrote about her counselor and his words are true to form.  As much as I hated that word acceptance years ago I now understand what it means and that is to accept that this is our life to live and we must continue to move forward and yes oh yes we are gonna backslide over and over but we just have to dust ourselves off and keep on keeping on.

Keep up the fight Paula,
Jeanne
Philip's mom forever

AC Mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
Paula,

I agree with Sarah and Jeanne, this life we are living now sucks big time, but like it or not, its a life we have to learn to live with.

Its been 10.5 years for me. It took a lot of those years for me to understand, that AC is gone and there is nothing I can do about  it.

I still have melt downs, but I take  them as they come and "roll" with them, knowing its something that is going to happen, and nothing is going to stop them.  But, I will eventually feel better.

Some people  can stop the meds after a while, some can't.  I wouldn't worry too much with that.  I went off meds 2 years after AC died, because I just couldn't afford them.  I had a wonderful doctor who worked with me on coming off them.  Never stop taking any medication cold turkey.  It took me 6 months to be totally med free.

I still have anxiety that is off the charts on occasion, and I have a med I take for that occasionally.  Its not a narcotic, its a antihistamine that was tested by FDA and was found to be effective for anxiety, main thing is, it works.

I pray you find some peace, it is possible.

Love
Peggy

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
((Jeanne & Peggy))

Thanks for your notes of encouragement and for sharing with me.
I wish you all the very best. We all have our stories and struggles.
Each one astounds me, the strength of convictions of what we face and the courage it takes to accept life and support others we love as we struggle with our own journeys.
GBU!
XO Paula