Author Topic: What's in a dream ???  (Read 2946 times)

Spring2012

• nospam
    • View Profile
What's in a dream ???
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »
Struggling a lot lately -- I imagine the three month date and planning the celebration of life is contributing to that but this morning I had a strange dream. I don't often remember that I have had a dream so I don't think a lot about them. My husband dreamt lots and we always talked about his -- but anyway on to my dream.
The dream centered around me getting my husband into a hospital -- same confusion that I felt when he was in the hospital -- in my dream I seemed to have a bad cold -- but my husband was well and lucid -- talking -- laughing -- joking with the nurses. Apparently we were waiting to get him into a bed. Then at some point a nurse whispers to me -- 'He is going to die you know' and my reply was ' In real life he is already dead'.  How weird is that !!! Think it will take me the whole day to get past this -- helps to write it out !!!

Hope everyone has a good day !!!!
Good-night ! good-night !
As we so oft have said
Beneath this roof at midnight, in the days that are no more, and shall no more return.
Thou hast but taken up thy lamp and gone to bed;
I stay a little longer, as one stays
To cover up the embers that still burn.

rayinsc

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a dream ???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »
Spring,
When confronted with a strange or troubling dream, I view each character or symbol in the dream as components or objects of contention that my mind is having a difficult time reconciling.  Simply put, in your subconscious there are emotions or experiences that are at odds with each other or other parts of your psychic.

What you see or remember from the dream are seldom the meaning of the dream, or the underlying conflict the mind is working on.  Most of the conflicts are so troubling to the mind that the mind does not want to address outright the issue, so it hides the meaning in a story.

To understand what the subconscious is trying to reconcile, view each character or symbol as a part of the conflict, not the literal interpretation of the imagery or the story you remember. 

Dreams are best analyzed by the person who had them.  One needs to be put into context what they have experienced, either in the past, or near present, or the now, or all three.

That said, as you did ask for help by posting here, I will take shot at assisting you to understand what your dream could be about.  Remember, that this is my interpretation, and without knowing you, it could very well be in error.

The dream you had was not about the hospital or about your husband, but about the difficulty you are having in accepting his death.  It is about grief and the toll it is taking on you.

Given the conflict is within you, take each character as a part of you.  In your dream there were three characters, you are there (sadness), your husband is there (happiness), and the nurse (logical).  Of importance is the setting, and that is the hospital.

The hospital is important in that most people view a hospital as a place we take injured or ill persons with the hope they will get well.  In your dream you took a part of yourself there in the form of your husband, who was happy and well.  This makes no sense, why take a happy and well person to hospital?

The other thing is you said was that you were the one not feeling well, you had a cold or some other illness, implying you should be the one there, not your husband.  This is also confusing.

Then when the nurse tells you "He is going to die", you replied "In real life he is already dead."  This statement is significant.

In my view, the character represented by your husband is a happy part of you that you seeing in peril of dieing.  Your character is the part of you in sadness or loneliness in the loss of your husband.  The fact that it was not your character who was taken to hospital indicates your subconscious is not concerned about your sadness, but is concerned about the loss of happiness. 

Keeping in mind that hospital is a place we take people to get well, and that is where you took the part of you that was happy, when the nurse (the logical part of you) said "He was going to die" implies to me that you are fearful of losing your happiness, your well being.  Your response that he was already dead is simply acknowledging the loss and the grief you are experiencing, and that has displaced happiness.

This is a good dream.  It should be viewed as wanting, if not getting past, or putting into perspective the grief you have.  I say this because you have not accepted grief as a norm.  You understand that grief is a "Bad cold", as you put it, something that will pass.  But by taking the happy part of you to hospital implies that that is what you want to save, to have back.  By taking 'happiness' to the hospital indicates you want that part back and are doing what you can to get it back.

My wife always said that when giving an explanation, I tend to write a book, rather then get to the point.  I am not sure if this is what I did here.  The important part is not necessarily my interpretation of your dream, but a way to view it so you can understand the conflicts within you that the dream represented.

In my view, you are healing and your mind is simply trying to understand the process and attempting to put into place the new experience and emotions it is now forced to deal with.

Ray in Santa Cruz

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
"in my dream I seemed to have a bad cold -- but my husband was well and lucid -- talking -- laughing -- joking with the nurses."

We all believe in accordance with how our own life's experiences have played out and what we have learned from them. I'm sure you've heard of "Occam's razor" but if not, just Google it.

We dream, of course to release the emotions locked in our sub-conscience and on that particular day, we either 'can not' or 'do not' want to deal with it, as it is too painful. These fears, etc. play out in our dreams or in some cases, nightmares. And, although some are not to be taken literally, some are. As, some dreams are signs, messages.

I journal. And, I have a dream journal and write them down as soon as my eyes open because we only have seconds, sometimes minutes on rare occasions to remember every aspect of our dream. It's healthy to dream and I would start writing the details down and after a month, go back and read all of the dreams you had and you'll be surprised at what you will discover. All the little pieces of the puzzle start to come together.

It could be as simple as the "Occam's razor" theory: It says that if the only difference between two explanations is how complex they are, the simpler one is usually better. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation is. When something is simple and works, it is good.

So, if you feel that this dream was a sign/message from your husband, letting you know he is happy and healthy (which I believe he is) then feel good about it and have a beautiful day!

Love,
Terry

MyLou

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
((((((((((((((((( SPRING ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I really think that your husband is telling you he is free of pain, happy now.  He will always be with you.

They have dream sites here is a link http://dreammoods.com.

Hugs to you !!!

Always,

Lisa
"Soulmates Forever"

I miss you every second of everyday My Love

I know I will see you again

Spring2012

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
Thank you so much for all your thoughts about my dream. They do make a lot of sense. I have been struggling a lot lately -- my mind seems to be getting past all the bad stuff and concentrating on the 'good old days' -- and I think that is why I feel so much sadder.  My husband was quite sick for quite a few years, but I am now able to look back past all that to the fun times and the hurt seems greater now because I had buried all those thoughts -- always concentrating on his illnesses and his well being!!!
I feel him around me -- but lately that has been troubling as well -- it's like he is stressed -- but then you said -- in my dream he was very happy -- and he looked younger and was quite healthy. Hopefully I can somehow incorporate that into what I feel about his spirit around me. I think it will help !!!
Ray -- your explanation is super -- I reread it a few times -- and will continue to reread it -- I love  it.
Lisa --  I will  check the dream site -- thanks.
Terry -- my husband didn't want to die -- of coarse no one does -- but he seemed to know that it would happen -- sooner rather than later -- and I keep trying to think that he is free of pain -- and actually looks exactly he did in my dream !!!

Have a good day !!
Good-night ! good-night !
As we so oft have said
Beneath this roof at midnight, in the days that are no more, and shall no more return.
Thou hast but taken up thy lamp and gone to bed;
I stay a little longer, as one stays
To cover up the embers that still burn.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »

Terry -- my husband didn't want to die -- of coarse no one does -- but he seemed to know that it would happen -- sooner rather than later -- and I keep trying to think that he is free of pain -- and actually looks exactly he did in my dream !!!

I believe it's their way of letting us know that they 'are' happy. I truly do. I remain so moved by the bracelet the girl at the fair made with Kit's name. I believe it was Kit's way of wanting John to know that she was Ok.

They are always with us, Spring. Always. Imagining your precious husband free of pain and happy is why, I believe you had that dream. Hold on to that. It's hope.

My Love to you,

((((((((Spring))))))))

Terry

sonya

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
Ray I think that is an amazing interpretation!
Spring, take care honey xxxx
Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy