Author Topic: a page for Health Care Professionals and Researchers??  (Read 2962 times)

Zylen

• nospam
    • View Profile
a page for Health Care Professionals and Researchers??
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
"In the future, we will be preparing a page for Health Care Professionals and Researchers, explaining how to make the best use of this board" Really???

I hadn't realized that this was going on. If I had known I would not have been so open, and wish I could delete some of my more intimate posts.

I really don't like the thought that my misery and that of the others on here is going to be used by someone and also by groups of people who find it interesting to them and plan on using it for their own gain.

I hope I misunderstood that part of the post, and if not then I really hope that Tom seriously reconsiders this move.

I greatly appreciate all the great friends I have made on here, and for all the support I have been given. What I don't appreciate is opening this up for the sake of 'research'.

Love and hugs to all,
(((((((((All))))))))))
Zylen

Tom

• Administrator
    • apples are good and are good for you too
    • View Profile
    • Crisis, Grief and Healing
Re: a page for Health Care Professionals and Researchers??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
That should read that health care professionals and researchers should contact Tom before posting.  Please don't worry about this.  They have been politely told for years that they are not welcome here on the boards.  There will be no change in that policy.  In order for people to feel a sense of safety here we know that having intrusive visits from even well meaning others can shut down peoples sense of community and the feeling of being free to say what you want.  We will continue to do our best to maintain a safe place here for those who are grieving. 

If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask.
Tom's New EBook and paperback

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »

That was my mistake, Kevin, as I posted those guidelines and was asked to edit information that was not correct.

I'm sorry for the confusion and for your being upset.

Love,
Terry

Zylen

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
Thank you so much for clarifying this. I was really worried about this but also wanted to give the benefit of the doubt. The people on here have made such a huge difference, and I would find it so hard to leave for this or any issue like it.

Thank you, Tom, for creating such a wonderful site :)

Love and hugs to you both,
((((((((Tom))))))))) ((((((((((((Terry))))))))))))
Kevin

sonya

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
I don't know. I don't think I would mind if they were able to have a separate forum on here and post a questionnaire for those who wanted to contribute. If my experiences could help professionals provide a better service to others in a similar situation then I might well contribute.
I definitely agree that they should not be able to generally peruse the sight to use it for their research, anyway I think that would contravene the ethics guidelines for research so would be of no valid use to them.
Just a thought
Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy

Tom

• Administrator
    • apples are good and are good for you too
    • View Profile
    • Crisis, Grief and Healing
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:24 AM »
You are very welcome Zylen.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any ideas of about making this a safer place.

Off topc -- I have been doing videos on facebook and should probably be posting them here.  The latest one is here http://facebook.com/webhealing  It's about 2 minutes on the disdain our culture sees in grief and some history about sadness.
Tom's New EBook and paperback

stampingwidow

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
Glad these issues have been clarified and that you are trying to keep this a safe place to  share.  After more healing time, I probably would be glad to share my experiences with professionals, studying grief but it needs to be at a separate site and where sharing with professional is an option.

jasonkl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »
I am with Soyna and Stampingwidow If sharing my pain with professionals would maybe help someone else maybe have an easier journey then I am all for it. I don't think most understand how much grief affects every part of your life and how long the effects last.

Jason

helene

• nospam
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »
I too am glad that was cleared up. I read a lot of 'self help' and medical books etc to try as part of my own grief therapy. I try to look for the most recently published books about grief and other emotional states of being people suffer from because the medical profession is way behind when it comes to all this as far as I'm concerned. The more they study what REAL people are feeling the more they will learn and more helpful resources will be there for people who suffer grief in the future. 

Also, I am seriously thinking, at this point of writing my own memoirs of what I've been through in my grief (losing my Dad then my sister Lesley). I have read some very moving memoirs and, being a writer, it helps me to read about other people's feelings and experiences with their grief and loss (I don't feel so alone).

Sincerely,

Helene.

Helene & Lesley

Doug1222

• nospam
  • Keep on keeping on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
Also, I am seriously thinking, at this point of writing my own memoirs of what I've been through in my grief (losing my Dad then my sister Lesley). I have read some very moving memoirs and, being a writer, it helps me to read about other people's feelings and experiences with their grief and loss (I don't feel so alone).

I think that's a wonderful idea, Helene. What helps me the most is reading other people's stories.