Author Topic: Hurting all over again with loss of pet  (Read 2499 times)

ldm

• View Profile
Hurting all over again with loss of pet
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:42 AM »
Yesterday I lost a beloved pet Donkey.  He was only 7 and the vet said that it was "bad luck" that he passed away, something wrong with him internally that we never could have known about until it was too late.  I am hurting so bad right now and I keep comparing it to losing my father.  I feel like I am going crazy all over again, and possibly worse.  I have never had any children, so while I have many, my pets are like "kids" to me.  When My dad passed away, looking through old pictures, it became clear to me that he is where I got my love of animals from.  In January of this year, we lost a dog unexpectedly also, and I have wondered if I was supressing the grief from her loss because it felt so soon after Dad (just a little over a year). I tried to just not think about it.  This loss is overwhelming to me right now and I sincerely apologize if I am venting on the wrong forum, but I feel like I need to get my thoughts out somehow.This may sound trivial to some, but to me it is very very real

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Hurting all over again with loss of pet
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »

Hi, it's been awhile since you've posted and I'm sorry to read about the loss of your donkey. You are not on the wrong forum. When we're grieving and we continue to have losses, it makes it very difficult to stay balanced.

My Mother died when she was 48. My Dad was never the same. He went inside of himself. After many years, I got him a little Boston Terrier and nine years after that, she died. My Dad grieved the same for her as he did for my Mother because she had taken the place of my Mother in so many ways. It was the first time he openly showed affection, love once again. So, I understand what you're feeling right now.

Our pets become our family members. Just ask anyone on this board who has them. I have lost 3 dogs. Two this year and then my precious Dad, my everything just last Sunday. It's sadness on top of sadness when what and who we love starts, one by one to disappear.

Know I care.
Love,
Terry

ldm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Terry, I appreciate you so much! I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.  Christmas used to be my favorite time of year, and I never understood people that didn't enjoy it, but I certainly do now (and have some guilt for not getting it before).

I think that you are a very special person, still caring for others and having the right words, when you are grieving yourself.  I hope you realize how much you help others.

"Sadness on top of sadness," how true this is!  Because I am not one to make a visit to the Doctor unless I feel it to be absolutely necessary, I have never been diagnosed with depression, but in hindsight have thought that there was a time in my life, 2 years after my dad had the stroke, that I went through a very dark time and quite possibly was clinically depressed.  During this time I made a career change and absolutely hated it, I felt unworthy, paranoid, and just very very sad.  I am having some of these feelings again and wondering if it is just the holidays and being so close to the anniversary of the loss of my dad (these feelings started before losing my donkey "Blue")  I do not want to go back to that place, nor do I want to put my husband through that again.  I think if I go to a doctor they will just tell me to exercise, eat better, give me prescription,  I do need to eat better and exercise!  As I am writing this, I realized that the timing is the same as far as it being 2 years after the stroke and now 2 years after losing him.  I am thankful that this forum is available for me to share my feelings with caring and understanding people here  to validate my feelings.  Thank you again for listening to me and understanding!!  My thoughts and prayers are with you Terry also!!

Love,  ldm

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
((((ldm))))

So very sorry for the loss of Donkey
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven