Author Topic: Christmas Past  (Read 1431 times)

helene

• nospam
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
Christmas Past
« on: December 19, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
In those days, when Lesley was still alive, Christmas day revolved around our mother.
Us, her three daughters plus one boyfriend and a husband, orbited around the Grand Matriarch,
In organized disarray. Lesley, purposely staying on the sidelines, watched it all like a hawk in a tree,
Waiting, biding her time, while the rest of us busily cooked breakfast, then ripped open a mountain,
Of gifts, ooed of awed over all this and that while Lesley, sitting like crouched panther,
Situated herself carefully on the floor partially hidden underneath mother's big, black Steinway.
Mother: the Grand-Central-Station of all our lives except for Lesley, the rest of us 'coping' with carefully timed,
Nips of Sherry along the way but Lesley never drank. Instead, she bided her time.
Throughout the long Christmas-Day-Dinner, a Dickensian feast with groaning table, endless bottles,
Voices booming louder, louder, while Lesley sat quietly, eating slowly, her eyes, moving, sphinx-like,
From fact to face, her ancient soul smiling ever-so-slightly at the foolish-folly of such festive overindulgences,
Lesley waits until the only remaining sober partier offers her a drive back to her rooming house,
One rooming house or another all over town, numberless n the end:Lesley doesn't care because neither did we.
And then...when 'it' is finally all over and we - the 'family' - are all gone away from her once again,
Lesley, alone, slips away, shroud-like, back out her door and into that Blessed Silent Night:
Her secret, furtive Christmas moonlit walk through soft snow and shuddering dreams.

With love,

Helene

Helene & Lesley

helene

• nospam
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Past
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
Me replying to me - but not really:

I just read Pam's post about Terry's loss of her dear father. Terry, you are always such a HUGE support to all of us and I know that you and Pam and others here have saved my life!

PLEASE know that we are here for you Terry! You are an amazing, loving, giving, caring person and your father must have been VERY PROUD  of you!

You are in my heart,

Much love,

(((((((((((((((((Terry))))))))))))))))))))))

Helene

Helene & Lesley