Author Topic: Please suggest Bible verses/readings for Burial Service  (Read 9028 times)

deebee

• nospam
    • View Profile
Please suggest Bible verses/readings for Burial Service
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
Hello everyone here on the webhealing site.  At the suggestion of browneyedgirl, I am asking if anyone has suggestions for bible verses and/or readings for my brother David's upcoming burial service on August 21st.  I'm looking for a few -- 3 or 4 -- which are not too long, that would be appropriate.
Any and all suggestions are welcome !  Thank you so much,  love to all, deebee

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Please suggest Bible verses/readings for Burial Service
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. . . . For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
Isaiah 41:10, 13

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The second one was read at my brother's service.  Hope this helps.  Much love. 
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
Hi Deebee,

There are thousands of very inspirational and comforting Bible verses, though I honestly don't have one favorite.

I asked my pastor that certain ones *not* be read at my son's memorial due to the simple fact that what I, personally may find comforting, another may be put on the defensive as some verses 'do' suggest that others lives/souls would not be held up to the same standards as the written word, were they not to believe the same. I tend to steer away from the judgement where only certain souls will be allowed to enter the kingdom of Heaven.

You know your family, and only *you* so I would suggest Googling "bible verses or comforting or inspirational bible verses" because there are so many to read through and I know it's a very personal choice.

I know whatever you choose will be comforting!

Know I care.

Love,
Terry

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »

How thoughtful, Pam!

(((((((((((((Pammy))))))))))))

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
I like this, from the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer (google for more, or see this link: http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1928/Burial.htm ):

UNTO God’s gracious mercy and protection we commit you. The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace, both now and evermore. Amen.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:44:41 PM by SarahW »
I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift

deebee

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH --- THE LINK THAT SARAHW PROVIDED IS A GOOD ONE.
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE DEAR WEBHEALING FRIENDS.  THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!
LOVE, DEEBEE

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
(((deebee)))

Sending you strength for the days ahead. 

Lots of love,
Pam
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

deebee

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Thank you friends !!  In looking at today's calendar, and every day thinking of my baby brother, I just realized today is 17 months that David has been gone.  Miss him so much !!
deebee

helene

• nospam
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
Hi Deebee,

I have been away on holidays which was a good break for me, but I am still filled with such profound sadness about my sister Lesley that I even become hysterical some times.

But, what I really want to say here is this: if you would like to use any of the poems that I have shared here on Webhealing at your dear brother David's burial service on August 21, than please go right ahead. If my poetry can be of any assistance to you and your family I would be very moved and honored. I actually meant to write something new just for you and your memory of David but I have not been able to write hardly at all since Lesley's Angel date came and went.

Anyway, I just thought I would say this to you and please know that I am thinking of you during this extremely painful time.

With love,

Helene

Helene & Lesley

deebee

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »
Helene --
Thank you so much for your helpfulness and kind words.  I think of you often, and know you are in such profound pain over the loss of Lesley.  My prayers are with you, through this rough time and Lesley's angel date.
Thank you for the offering of your poems for reading at David's service.  I will look through them, and probably pick one or two, along w/ a couple I found, and bible verses (23 Psalm is one).
I will be thinking of everyone here at webhealing.  Thank you all so very much !!  love, deedbee