Author Topic: A Sincere Thank You from Donny and Don  (Read 3435 times)

Donnys Dad

• nospam
  • Donny At Football Hall of Fame, Another Great Trip
    • View Profile
    • Donny's Memorial Website
A Sincere Thank You from Donny and Don
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:04 AM »
I want to thank all of you who recognized Donny's Angel Day.  As you all too well know it was rough and full of tears.  With friends like I have on this site it sure made it a little easier.

Rebecca:  I know you are close behind me on this.  May I ask how many times, in your line of work, do you wonder why they took your boy and left some of your clients behind?  I know I sure do.

Again, thanks to all of you

Don
I Miss You So Much Buddy, My Best Friend, My Tiger

Don, Donny's Proud Dad

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: A Sincere Thank You from Donny and Don
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »

(((((((((((((Don))))))))))))

WendyRN

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »
Don, thinking of you and your son.  Hoping today brings a little peace to your home as life begins to return to the "normal" that we are left with. 

Grief, especially that of a child (no matter what age), is such a harsh and never-ending journey.  The sadness of living beyond the life of our child is, at times, too much to bear...........circumstances notwithstanding.  In my daily life and in my profession as a nurse, I have known many addicted and struggling personalities.  Not one of them ever imagined that life for themself.  I know that most spend their days living with regret, old and new, big and small.  And the families, the parents............how do they cope, watching the spiralling down of the child they remember, the child that was nurtured and loved (and still is, unconditionally?)  Each child is as worthy.  Those on this site who have lost their child to addiction or members who suffer the ravages of continuing addiction in their home, understand this. 

Wendy, Keith's mom

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
(((Don)))
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »
Don, Every addict, every criminal, every misguided person is someone's child. There is usually always a Mama and a Dad crying their eyes out over their child who has taken the wrong direction in life. Maybe some people viewed Adam just as an addict, but as his Mother I never did. Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »

Rebecca:  I know you are close behind me on this.  May I ask how many times, in your line of work, do you wonder why they took your boy and left some of your clients behind?  I know I sure do.

Again, thanks to all of you

Don

I've received a few messages from board members that were concerned regarding this statement made by Don in a response to Rebecca's post, so I thought I would lend my thoughts and feel free to lend yours, also.

As most of us may know but some may not, Rebecca, in her line of work, deals directly with those who have either been involved with drugs and committed a crime or other reasons, also. I'm not fully aware of her responsibilities but it is something along those lines. And, as we know, Donny's Angel Date just recently past and with emotions running very high, Don made a statement that has upset those who have lost a child to the disease of drug addiction and even a couple members who haven't.

A lot of our children had suffered from a disease: some drug addiction, others depression and these diseases lead to their deaths. In my opinion, there is no difference in either disease as they are both diseases of the feelings.

I had shared some time ago, when I learned of the sudden death by auto accident of one of my son's killers that I felt nothing but deep sadness because I knew his parent's were absolutely devastated and I also learned he had a little sister who adored him. I actually grieved for this young man even though he had a part in my son's death. No one deserves to have their world shattered, regardless of the actions of another. I received comments regarding their wish for their child's killer to die and I reserved my right to respond, understanding that pain is so great when a child dies and not everyone will forgive their child's killer. That is also their right and I have no right to judge them, either.

I have even heard very similar statements made on the board but in more graphic detail how others do not deserve to live because of their actions. And, that is their right to feel that way. I believe that Don's statement was due to his past line of work and the injustices he has been exposed to and watching so many innocent lives shattered by the actions of another. And, Don also has a right to feel this way, although it must be taken into consideration the fact that these statements are being made on a grief board where pain is great and emotions are right on the surface.

In my heart, I know that Don would never hurt anyone on this board. And, I also have never heard Don judge another person or put them down for the way that they died. In fact, Don has always supported every parent on this board and those include ones whose children had died due to the disease of addiction.

I hope that we can get past this as we are all human and we will all say/do things that will hurt another, but unintentionally. Don is a great asset to this board and I hope he will be forgiven for what was seen to be and understood to be a statement judging another and feeling that their lives were not as worthy as ones who do not suffer from a disease.

All of our children were special and will always be, regardless of how they lived and regardless of how they died. I have had many friends who have lost their children to the disease of drugs and I loved everyone of these children and I know for a fact that none of them woke up one day and said,"I think I'll be a drug addict and lose all control of my life, hurting everyone around me." It just doesn't work that way. It is not a life choice.

Let's continue to be the close family that we always have been and "show that" by working through this situation with love in our hearts, considering the source of the statement made.

Thank You for those who shared their concerns with me as I am committed to the continued safety of this board from any and all judgements and/or attacks on other members (and, above all their children), for any reason.

I Love You All, Very Much,
Terry

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »

Thank You "Wendy and Paula" for voicing your concerns on the board for all to read. As a group, and a close one of people struggling to rebuild their lives and the strongest group of people I have ever had the honor of knowing, any situation/disagreement can be handled with maturity and the kindness that you both have shown.

I am proud to be a member of our wonderful group of Mom's and Dad's!

My Love,
Terry