Author Topic: Bereavenent Groups  (Read 1125 times)

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
Bereavenent Groups
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:16 AM »
In the beginning I went to a few to help me out and then stopped as I felt that I was soaking up everyone's grief like a sponge and it left me drained and felt it was better off without them.
However, recently I hit a really dark low and I went back to a new group for me. Last night was a real eyeopener. I guess I knew it, but hearing it, maybe it was just the right time and place ... really helped.
The facilitator said that it is perfectly normal to feel saddened after a meeting because where else do you have 2 hours of intense grief work. When people shared their feelings on a variety of topic related to their loss I understood better then ever how many of my thoughts that worried me were "commonplace" and shared by the others in the group. I can't explain how I did know that, but hearing it from so many others, in a "safe" setting gave me the ability to "receive" the information as never before.
So I suggest to all of you, if you never went to a group, or felt disheartened after attending one or several, maybe it's time to try again.
XO
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Bereavenent Groups
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Paula,

Thanks for sharing this as we've all felt this way and even shared about those 'grief meetings being so depressing'...well, of course it's sad. We're talking about our children that died; dealing with numerous issues and struggling on a day to day basis to just keep our heads above water. And, as you shared....you don't take anything from those meetings, not until you're ready. I'm glad you mentioned that.

It's the hardest work we will ever do in our lives.

Good to hear you're working it!!

My Love,
Terry

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
Re: Bereavenent Groups
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
Hey there dearest Terry XO
We are not alone in our grief journey and yet I can't help but feel it to be such a solitary path as we learn the life lessons we need to adapt and adjust and make something positive come out of our tragedies. At times as you know I freely admit they catch up and drag me down however thankfully just when I feel I cannot do this anymore I find some hidden morsel of strength to carry on and move forward. I still, and perhaps always will grapple with the fact that I equate moving on, making new memories w/o my precious Adam, not sobbing to the point of being unable to catch my breath every moment  .... feeling disloyal. Like if I can do that that must mean I am losing my connection to him. So that is one goal I have for myself; to allow myself to have a life and yet know that while I am moving on I am not moving away from my love from him. Sounds so simple-eh? But what the brain can tell you what you need to do your heart says STOP - loving and mourning Adam is a 24/7 full time job that has not time off .... but I now realize that Paula must exist in this world of the living and living with a broken heart; so it's all about compromises while staying true to yourself.
XO Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings