Author Topic: G.R.A.S. P. meeting  (Read 2074 times)

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
G.R.A.S. P. meeting
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
I was always looking for a meeting specific to parents who lost children to drugs. I found such a place and was anxious to go and see if it would help me. It was a rough week to go since my daughter stuck a needle full of drugs in her arm in the wee hours of Monday and got "cotton fever". For those of you who do not know what that is you can google it as I had to, not the stuff I really want to have to learn about. Craig & I were so rattled by this that he was literally quaking with fear/nerves and took off a few days from work and I retreated into bed and our daughter ... well she is fine, her merry old safe doing what she does. However, I went to this meeting and I guess I just don't know what I was expecting to find, but I found one newly bereaved Mother (coming up on the 1st year anniversary) so full of grief and guilt and bitterness - we tried to assist her, hopefully something we said or ideas we gave her will help (I also gave her this site). But her grief brought me back to a place that is so raw and I do not want to have remain fresh in me or my thoughts go to dark places so I won't be returning. Today I was approved for  Social Security disability-Yipee, now it's official when I lost my son I also lost my mind and the government recognizes my inability to function as "normal".
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: G.R.A.S. P. meeting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
Hey Paula,

I'm glad to hear that you'll be receiving some help which hopefully will allow you the time, without having the stress that the expectations of working can place on us, to concentrate on you and what you need. We are pulled in so many different directions that we lose the focus so desperately needed to learn how to live in a world without our children.

Interesting...G.R.A.S.P. and maybe a healthy outlet for both you and Craig. I 'do' understand..."being brought back to a place that is so raw"....because it's similar to sharing at 'any' meeting and similar, also to sharing here. Some have shared that it's a lot easier for them to 'not' open up on here and by staying away they also don't have to relive or deal with the emotions (and the awful pain) that they cannot yet cope with and at the same time, feel comforted by the fact that they are not alone. It has always helped me to share everything relating to the death of my children. We are all so unique in that sense that we have to search and find our 'own' ways to come to grips with the brutal reality that our children have died. My heart goes out to all and I can understand any path that one chooses after losing a child.

I'm sorry to hear about Kait and her continuing problems.

Thanks, Paula for the update. I always love hearing from you.

Hugs & Love to both you and Craig and loving thoughts of Adam,
Terry

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
Re: G.R.A.S. P. meeting
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
I was always looking for a meeting specific to parents who lost children to drugs. I found such a place and was anxious to go and see if it would help me. It was a rough week to go since my daughter stuck a needle full of drugs in her arm in the wee hours of Monday and got "cotton fever". For those of you who do not know what that is you can google it as I had to, not the stuff I really want to have to learn about. Craig & I were so rattled by this that he was literally quaking with fear/nerves and took off a few days from work and I retreated into bed and our daughter ... well she is fine, her merry old safe doing what she does. However, I went to this meeting and I guess I just don't know what I was expecting to find, but I found one newly bereaved Mother (coming up on the 1st year anniversary) so full of grief and guilt and bitterness - we tried to assist her, hopefully something we said or ideas we gave her will help (I also gave her this site). But her grief brought me back to a place that is so raw and I do not want to have remain fresh in me or my thoughts go to dark places so I won't be returning. Today I was approved for  Social Security disability-Yipee, now it's official when I lost my son I also lost my mind and the government recognizes my inability to function as "normal".

There is never a normal again, after we lose our child, is there?  I am glad your struggle has been validated and you're getting some support.

I can understand why the GRASP meeting felt like too much; very sorry to hear about the daughter. 

All my best.
I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift