Author Topic: A New Year  (Read 3772 times)

ManyTears

• View Profile
A New Year
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am new here.  You can read about me in introductions. I lost father, mother and husband all inside of a 14 month time frame. 

I was wondering if there is any one out there that worries when a new year starts?

I get anxious about a new year, wondering, what will this one bring.  I used to look forward to new years, but now each season seems to bring it's own "triggers", it's own set of memories.  I lost Doug in March.  That is when I go into that place, you know that place where time stands still and you re-live it. It will be 5 years this spring.  And I have yet to see one without many tears.  It  is tough. 

I have the winter blues so bad it is hard not to embrace the coming spring season, I will be sooooooo glad to see winter go.  I hate winter, I need some sunshine!
ManyTears

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: A New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »

Have you tried doing summer in winter? The winter colors, which are warm and usually earth toned are also much darker. For the past three years now, I have changed the decor in my home by not even taking out the Holiday (winter) colors. I decorate in winter with my summer colors. Bright white sheets and quilts. Brighter lights. Adding more color to each room also helps. Fresh flowers, too. Indicative of Springtime!

When you wake up...Open all of those blinds! Turn on lights and keep them on, especially at night. I've even brought out my summer bath aparrel. Light, bright towels. Pastel robes and jammies.

Any change will help, tremendously! A lot of people suffer from seasonal depression and don't even know it always sharing that they hate winter because it is so gloomy. There are things we can do to change that in our homes.

Maybe google 'seasonal depression' and get some tips from there. It is much more common than you would think.

Regarding the anticipation of a 'new year?' I see it as just another day. I've always taken it one day at a time. Going any further will just add to the darkness. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it!

((((((((((((ManyTears))))))))))

My Love,
Terry

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
Re: A New Year
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am new here.  You can read about me in introductions. I lost father, mother and husband all inside of a 14 month time frame. 

I was wondering if there is any one out there that worries when a new year starts?

I get anxious about a new year, wondering, what will this one bring.  I used to look forward to new years, but now each season seems to bring it's own "triggers", it's own set of memories.  I lost Doug in March.  That is when I go into that place, you know that place where time stands still and you re-live it. It will be 5 years this spring.  And I have yet to see one without many tears.  It  is tough. 

I have the winter blues so bad it is hard not to embrace the coming spring season, I will be sooooooo glad to see winter go.  I hate winter, I need some sunshine!
ManyTears

I lost my husband many years ago, when my son was a baby.  Then in 2009, I lost my son.

I do find that winter is especially hard, because I got a lot of comfort from walking and hiking and exhausting myself with outdoor activity, and right now, I can't do that.

I also find that the "new year" gives me a jolt - my son died in summer 2009, so when we hit 2010, I could only think "my first year without Vince," and now, as 2011, I think, "another year without Vince - how many must I endure?  How many like this will there be, how will they stack up?"

My sense of the passage of time has definitely changed, as it feels more like my son died a month ago, than a year and a half ago.
I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift