Author Topic: trazodone  (Read 4316 times)

jcohenx

• View Profile
trazodone
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:50 AM »
Does anybody on this board have experience taking Trazodone for sleep?  If so can I get your feedback on the effectiveness and side effects?

thanks,

jc

AC Mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: trazodone
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
I have not tried Trazadone, but have been on similar drugs.  Trazidone is like any other tricyclic antidepressant, they all have side effects.  Main one tends to be weight gain, and some studies have shown it might increase your diabetis risk.  They also tend to increase triglycerid levels, which is part of the colesteral profile.

Have you tried benedryil/dyphehyramine?  I found it works just as well as the prescriptions.  We all hate to not to be able to sleep when we want too.  Its all part of the grieving process.  Its been 8 years sinse my son died, but there are still nights I don't sleep, even when taking something.

Love and Hugs
Peggy

jcohenx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
Thanks, Peggy;

I had used diphenydramine in the past but it leaves me too groggy and dehydrated.  I took a half pill of Trazodone yesterday and it knocked me right out in about 30 min.  Got my first 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep in a long time.  I had not heard anything about weight gain with it but that would not necessarily be a bad thing for me right now (I'm down about 14 lbs since my wife died which puts my BMI at 22.3).  My triglycerides/LDL/HDL are all normal.

thanks again,

jc

AC Mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
I am glad you finally got a good nights sleep!  I have had others say taking benedryl to make them sleep makes them groggy.  I don't have that problem, guess its all in the body chemistry.

Love and Hugs
Peggy