Author Topic: Bile Duct Cancer....My mom was gone five weeks after diagnosis  (Read 14446 times)

sissy

• View Profile
Bile Duct Cancer....My mom was gone five weeks after diagnosis
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
I guess one of the hardest things for me to deal with is that last August my mom was going to the doctor to discuss the medication she was taking for her ulcer. It didn't seem to be helping her stomach pain at all and she was hoping he would have something that would.  Well, when he saw her, he mentioned that she seemed to have a slight yellowish tinge to her skin, and started asking questions and decided to send her for blood work and a Cat Scan....all on the same day. He told us that he thought that she may have a gallstone.  The following day she was told that there was indeed a gallstone and that it needed to be removed......So on August 23, 2010, we went to the hospital and she was to have a procedure where they remove it through her throat.  We were so excited (silly us) to find out that she had a gallstone, because we figured that after it was removed her tummy would stop hurting......but when the surgeon came out to tell me how everything went....I was told that there was evidence of her ulcer (which had healed from the medicine she had been taking) but there was no gallstone and he felt with 95% certainty that what he had found was a very advanced case of "Bile Duct Cancer."   And he said this without any type of medical proof to back it up......I can't begin to tell you the emotions, thought, questions, fears......When my mom woke up the doctor discusssed her options....but the prognosis was 6 months if she were lucky.
My sweet mom lived only 5 weeks from diagnosis.

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Bile Duct Cancer....My mom was gone five weeks after diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »
Hi Sissy ~

I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your mother. 

Welcome.....you will find a comforting word and shoulder here.  There is always someone to listen.   

Take care of yourself and come back and let us know how you are doing.
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

sissy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:39:36 PM »
Thank you for the kind words..... I can't help but wonder if this pain will ever lessen.  In fact it almost seems as if it's getting worse at times.  I am so unbelievably distracted.  Does that make any sense???

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Yes, it makes perfect sense.  When my brother died, I thought I would be okay in less than a week....how wrong I was.  It's been almost 2 years and I feel like it was yesterday.  Although my heart has not mended, it aches a little less. 

Give yourself plenty of time. 

(((sissy))))

sissy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:18:34 AM »
thinking about you and your brother this Christmas.....I hope you are well.
sissy

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »
(((sissy))))

How are you doing?

sissy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »
pretty rough.....but trying to hold on.....thank you, i hope that your new year brings you peace and happiness.....
love, sissy

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
(((sissy))))

Thank you, same to you.

swgirl094

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
Hi, I just joined this site and found your post.  I am in a similar position.  The day after Thanksgiving my mom went to the hospital with stomach pains which they thought might be a kidney stone.  It turned out it was neuroendocrine cancer in her colon, liver, and lungs.  She may have had it for years without any symptoms.  She passed away a month and a half later.  She only received one round of chemo before she could not handle it and did not even have a chance to fight it.

I am at the point where the dust is finally settling two months after her death and the loss is really registering with me.  I feel like it is harder every day.  I am hoping you are keeping your head up and getting through this.  What a winter we both have had.

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
swgirl094 ~

Hello and welcome to Webhealing.  I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother. 

I am sorry that you have to be here with us, but you couldn't ask for a more kind and supprotive group.

Stay strong.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi swgirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Momma. Thank you for sharing your story with us. How very sad and what a terrible shock it must have been for you, her being diagnosed with little to no time to fight it. Just heartbreaking.

Welcome to our Webhealing family where we have also suffered devastating losses and are struggling, with the help from others here to rebuild our lives. It helps to keep writing all of your feelings down. Someone is always listening.

This is a long journey, learning to live again without our loved ones so please know that anything you're feeling is Ok. It really does take a long time to accept that they are gone from our lives. It just doesn't 'register' in our hearts.

We're here for you!

(((((((((((((((((swgirl)))))))))))))))

My Love,
Terry

SarahW

• nospam
  • The moment a child is born,the mother is also born
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
Hi, I just joined this site and found your post.  I am in a similar position.  The day after Thanksgiving my mom went to the hospital with stomach pains which they thought might be a kidney stone.  It turned out it was neuroendocrine cancer in her colon, liver, and lungs.  She may have had it for years without any symptoms.  She passed away a month and a half later.  She only received one round of chemo before she could not handle it and did not even have a chance to fight it.

I am at the point where the dust is finally settling two months after her death and the loss is really registering with me.  I feel like it is harder every day.  I am hoping you are keeping your head up and getting through this.  What a winter we both have had.

I saw your post here and over in the Introductions thread.

Thanks for joining us; it is always good to feel less alone.  And it was good of you to reach out to sissy, when you are still feeling so much pain.

I think it does get harder for awhile "once the dust" settles, as you say.  Right after a death, there are all the things that keep you busy - the funeral, the flowers, the thank you notes, visitors, etc . . . but when the quiet hits, it can hit hard.

I am so sorry to hear about your terrible and sudden loss.  Please post whenever you need to, and share whatever helps.
I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. -- Emily Dickinson

You were a gift

sissy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
Sarah....I am truly sorry to read about your sweet mom.  I sent you an email....i can only pray that you will be kind to yourself....(as i am trying to do, too) i'm afraid that this is the hardest journey of my entire life....and the reality can be so unbelievably painful....i will keep you in my thoughts, my heart and in my prayers....
i'm here if you want to talk.   -sissy