Author Topic: What are some of the ways we relax when we are stressed?  (Read 8113 times)

Penny - Sean's Mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • A Journey Continued
Re: What are some of the ways we relax when we are stressed?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
My most recent de-stressor has been my backyard.  I've been working 2nd shift so get home around 11:30pm.  The house and neighborhood are quiet but I'm not quite ready for sleep so I've been lighting a small fire in our fire pit, lighting a couple citronella torches to keep the bugs at bay, pouring a small glass of wine and reading by torchlight for about an hour.  I can't begin to tell you how much I find myself looking forward to what feels like a stolen hour.

Gardening is my "go to" de-stressor.  In the months immediately after Sean's death I literally tore out 20+ years worth of ivy in my garden beds.  I figured it was cheaper than therapy and would probably last longer since I would most likely be battling the ivy for years.  Turns out I was very efficient.  Only one little spot tried to come back and only once.  Since then "dirt therapy" has helped me work through many bad spots.  The neighbors know that they may find me in the yard digging and weeding in the middle of the night, in the middle of a downpour, with tears running down my face or giggling out loud.  And they don't question me.  My next door neighbor is also Mom to an angel-child and she just comes over and hugs me without a word regardless of how silly my behavior looks to others.  We don't talk about our angels but she has been a blessing.

Penny - Sean's Mom

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Hi Louise,
It's been a long time.
I rely on prescribed Xanax to destress. A cup of tea, TV. knitting, reading and there is always my comfort zone of eating (not good considering my size and diabetes) and taking to bed.
Are you still on some other boards?
XO Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

LaVonne

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:20:04 AM »
Louise:  I usually relax by being outdoors with crafts or gardening. I also drink a lot of tea and love tubing down the Rush River and camping by a fire with my family.  I love the outdoors and even go to the farm and  have fun. My greatest is being with grandkids and just being together.  I also like to puzzle. If I had the money I love to travel.  This year we went to Great Falls,Montana and went mountain climbing in April, and the end of July we went to Branson for a week. It was wonderful.  hugs  LaVonne