Author Topic: While they are still with us......  (Read 8709 times)

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: While they are still with us......
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »
A little something to ponder on....as we often think of time, and its passing.

""Is time an illusion?
Plato argued that time is constant - it’s life that’s the illusion. Galileo shrugged over the philos-ophy of time and figured out how to plot it on a graph so he could get on with the important physics. Albert Einstein said that time is just another dimension, a fourth one to go along with the up-down, side-side, forward-back we move through every day. Our understanding of time, Einstein said, is based on its relationship to our environment. Weirdly, the faster you travel, the slower time moves. The most radical interpretation of his theory: Past, present, and future are merely figments of our imagination, constructs built by our brains so that everything doesn’t seem to happen at once.

Einstein’s conception of unified spacetime works better on graph paper than in the real world. Time isn’t like those other dimensions - for one thing, we move only one way within it. “What’s needed is not to make the notion of time and general relativity work or to go back to the notion of absolute time, but to invent something radically new,” says Lee Smolin, a physicist at the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo, Ontario. Somebody is going to get it right eventually. It’ll just take time.
- Erin Biba, San Francisco-based writer ""

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Just bumping this up again.  I feel it is important not to take anyone or anything for granted....

It can be utterly sad to look back and think, "I should have"....
This piece is thought-provoking.

http://www.wholefamily.com/aboutyourmarriage/columns/drtobin/advice.html

""Think about this question for a moment. Are you as polite, kind and considerate to your partner as you are to a casual acquaintance? For most of us, the answer is no. How come? How is it that this same person that you now hardly give a moment’s thought to, unless it’s negative, could be the same one to whom you once were so loving, giving and appreciative?

Let’s face it. We’re all guilty of amnesia. After a time, we just seem to forget about all those small and large kindnesses that our partners do for us. Or, if we don’t forget, we just come to expect that it’s part of our partner’s job description. When a relationship reaches the point at which amnesia or expectation replaces appreciation, then trouble is close at hand. ""

erinatkins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:16 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss. Words can't say enough,

cjoneslpn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Donna, tongiht is my first time on this site and I just can't say how very sorry I am for the loss of your daughter. I have lost a parent, sibling and husband but can't imagine the pain of losing a child! I hope you will accept my sincere condolences and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.