Author Topic: My Father  (Read 3322 times)

MISSINGYOU

• View Profile
My Father
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
My father was a member of Rotary and was awarded the Paul Harris Fellow award a few years ago. He participated in every show in spite of his illness. Mom told me that Rotary has placed a full page add thanking my father for his service throughout his years in the local paper. He is also being honored in the show this year. I have been teary for a few days now. I am so proud of him. It is to bad that people do not show their appreciation while we are alive and able to see it. I miss my father more than I can every convey. I try not to think about him to much because I am alone with little ones and do not want to cross the mommy line. I don't want to dwell where little minds have come to terms. It is catching up to me. I think the evening of the 10th will be difficult. Mom and I are going to the show and I know part of it will hurt.

As always I hope all are doing better....I wish Kevin were here....he would be able to console me. I miss him too.

Elizabeth

bluegrass1965

• View Profile
Re: My Father
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:39 AM »
That is so wonderful about the Rotary award. I do not know how small your children are, but you can save copies of the newspaper "thank you" and pictures from the show to share with them when they are older.  I know it is tough when kids seem to have moved on and we are still grieving.  The day my dad died was so surreal, my mom, siblings and I had just come home from the hospital and my 2-year-old niece was dancing around and playing pretend outside, just like any ordinary day.

The show on the 10th might surprise you...after all you will be surrounded by adults who understood your dad and appreciated his hard work, and I imagine that confirmation would feel good, even if the event is bittersweet. Also your mom will be there to share it.  :-)

georgiapeaches

• For mom, dad, Johnny & rock you left to soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »
Elizabeth,
That is wonderful , and I agree with bluegrass, save the article for your children. At my fathers funeral, the knights of columbus came in and had a small ceremony for him and stood over his coffin and they were shaking when they were saluting, it broke my heart but in a nice way because he was so well liked , that may be the same for you on the 10th. Good luck to you and your mom. ((((((big hugs )))))).

Georgia.
MOM                        JOHNNY

MISSINGYOU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
Thank you all for your support will let you know how it goes.

Elizabeth

MISSINGYOU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
Well, mom and I went to the Rotarty show. Boy it was strange not seeing Dad on stage. The memorial was very tastfully done. The skit is done in 3 small acts. The first the bum, my father played bum 2, came out on stage and was looking around. Act II Bum 1 comes out asking those on stage if thay have seen bum 2, all said no. Act III a big movie screen was dropped. Bum 1 asks audience if they have seen bum 2, audience says no. Bum 1 goes off stage and comes back out with my fathers bum shirt and hat, a huge pic comes on the screen of Dad in costume and bum 1 shakes his fist as if saying why did you leave me. I sometimes feel that way too. I lost it crying and had to get up and walk out for awhile.  Many of the audience didn't realize Dad had died. I heard lots of oh, wow, thats vince ----. Then the audience clapped. Wow, I didn't realize how many people my father touched. It felt like he had just died all over again the way the pain gripped my heart. Mom just looked down and couldn't respond. We cried on and off for 3 days. We laughed too. What a f------ ride grief is....pardon my french. Im crying again...this stinks. I appreciate and am proud of my father and the fact that he will be missed by the community, but the pain is incredible as you all know. well I have updated you. Hope all is well. Love and prayers to all.

Elizabeth

Luvinmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »
Dear Elizabeth;
I am so glad your Dad was honored this way, how special. You described it all so well it is heartwarming. This must have been hard, but it is nice to think of our loved ones with others who miss them also.
Terri