Author Topic: parents being sued because of brother's wreck  (Read 5094 times)

pepper309

• View Profile
parents being sued because of brother's wreck
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
An progressive rep called my mom yesterday and asked her how much my brother had put away and how much my parents' house is worth.  I wish that my mom would have told him that she is not answering any questions without a lawyer but she didn't.  One of the people in the other car was in the hospital for a month and he had a broken leg and ankle.  They did surgery, but I'm not sure for what.  Apparently a week in the hospital costs $100,000.  They are now going after my parents because my 22 yr old brother was on their car insurance at the time of the accident.  My brother drank before the accident so that makes matters worse of course.  I understand that this family is angry, I would be angry too if I were them.  However, now my parents could lose everything because of my brother's stupid mistake.  They are going to get a lawyer, of course, and hope for the best.  Has anyone else had to go through this?

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: parents being sued because of brother's wreck
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
Oh pepper, so sorry to read of this...your poor parents, not enough that they lost their son, now they have an extra burden to carry.  I am so sorry.

I have never had to deal with anything like that, I hope some one here can help you and the lawyer can help, too

Take care, thinking of you and your family
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:04:53 PM by browneyedgirl »
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

laurenE

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
My thoughts are with you and your family.  I have not had to experience this either.    Maybe someone else has.  Try posting on the main board and the child loss board,  to broaden your search for support and advice.

lauren

BigSis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »
Hi

I had the experience of suing when my teenage daughter got her license and 2 weeks later gently bumped into a lady's car. No major damage but the woman put a bogus claim for 37 K. The case dragged on for 3 years but the insurance company was very firrm (Geico). They handled it very well and settled the claim for 7 K. Our premium went up.  Unfortunately the way the system works is that people are always looking for retribution in the wrong places.

DO talk to yr parents insurance company. They are well equipped to handle these issues.

BigSis

ScottW

• nospam
  • This is a picture of my sister, Jori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »
What an awful thing to have to deal with.  However . . . thankfully your parents do have insurance - hopefully it's with a reputable carrier - that's what insurance is for.  If the company does it's job right, your parents should not have to suffer through, nor be very involved with the process.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Scott

pepper309

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
It would be wonderful if the insurance company would step up and take care of it all.  However, my brother was on my parents insurance policy and they only had a $100,000 limit.  The hospital bill for this man was like $400,000.  So we shall see what happens once the sharks, I mean lawyers get involved