Author Topic: Our Kevin has died  (Read 31490 times)

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Our Kevin has died
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »
Thank you for posting the guestbook, grain. 

So sad.  The entries in his guest book are very touching, it is obvoius that he was loved by many.
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Kevin posted this on 22nd June of this year.  It says a lot about the man.
I think it is all right to put it up here, on this sad occasion:

""""I have been reluctant to post about my health issues that developed in January of this year because they weren't directly related to the death of my wife in Feb. of 2008. In looking back and from the feedback I have received from different people here and in my private life, I can see that there is a connection  between my health issues and grief. The connection is one of strength, of endurance, hope, a willingness to be loved and to love  and a will to continue living, as my departed wife did not want me to ever give up on her or on myself. Rest assured, especially those of you early in the grief process, that from your horrific loss comes unbelievable strength and courage, hope and an ability to adapt and survive.

In January of this year, I was  diagnosed with lung cancer in the right lung. A large mass was found. Many times I have said there can be nothing ever again that can be as devastating as the loss of a close loved one, be it spouse, child, parent, sibling, etc. The news that I had cancer did not devastate me - it hit me with perhaps 1/5th the force of learning that my wife needed 5 bypasses and a massive aneurysm patched on her heart. That is what grief has given me. I was able to take it in full stride much, much easier than the terrible news of my wife's problems. I then did 26 radiation treatments in conjunction with 12 chemo treatments.  With God as my witness, I am telling you this whole process was easier than waiting during the 5 hour surgery my wife had to have her heart repaired. I came through the treatment with few side affects, no weight loss, no blood problems, no infections, no nausea. I had already been through a much  worse hell. Two months of treatment was nothing compared to 5 hours of hell waiting to see if my wife would even survive the initial surgery. The  treatment killed most of the cancer, leaving but a bit of it  on the outer edge of the tumor and a spot on the tissue on the chest cavity near the tumor. It had been on 2 lung nodes but was now off the nodes. I was happy but not nearly has happy when the surgeon told us Betty had survived the initial 5 hour surgery.

I have met with 1 surgeon already who tells me I most likely will lose the entire lung but I will be getting a second opinion.  The news of probably losing my whole lung  hit me with about 1/10th of the intensity as when I learned that Betty was not coming out of the anesthesia like she should be. Strength from grief, an unwanted gift. Now they want to run another brain MRI even though the first one was clear. That's nothing compared to being told my wife was simply not coming to after surgery. My cardio workup is good and the bone density scan shows nothing in the bones - I am glad and grateful but I am not jumping up and down with joy. I have yet to regain full capacity for joy since my wife died but I have faith that in time, I will again know full joy on occasion.

I feel that I will survive this ordeal and I want to but I tell you now, if I don't, I already know a lot about dying and I am not one bit afraid to cross over myself - half of me is already there. This is the strength we get from grief. We read in so many posts here about  trials and tribulations and setbacks and struggles and problems that arise above and beyond the loss of a loved one. If it is not cancer, it is another death, a sick child, financial crisis, a lost job, total despair, a wrecked car, a lost home, etc etc.  I only know there is nothing that can ever happen again to me that can compare to the loss of my wife. This is not so much a post about hope and inspiration but more a statement of simple fact that all of us are living every day in our lives - we can only honor and love our departed ones by continuing to live ourselves and facing serious problems in the same manner we had to face the departure of our loved ones from us.
""""

Tom

• Administrator
    • apples are good and are good for you too
    • View Profile
    • Crisis, Grief and Healing
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 04:59:04 PM »
Blessings to Kevin and to his family.  Reading his words comparing his own illness to his pain from his wife's illness and death is a potent tribute to the man that Kevin was.  What a beautiful and love drenched perspective.  Bless his heart.

Blessings also to all of you who knew and loved Kevin.  It makes it tougher sometimes to experience a death of someone you were connected with primarily online.  Somehow it makes it a little less real and harder to comprehend or understand.  Reading through this thread shows clearly the depth of feeling and the love and compassion that exist in the community here.  My heartfelt thanks and admiration to all of you who are both hurting and grieving but at the same time being an all important support to others in need.  It is truly a beautiful thing.  As Rumi says, "Grief is the garden of the heart."

Thank you all.  I know Kevin will be missed. I bet he is proud of the folks here and their open hearts.  I know I am.
Tom's New EBook and paperback

georgiapeaches

• For mom, dad, Johnny & rock you left to soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
Blessings to Kevin and his Family. Kevin was here to greet me when I first arrived here on Webhealing, and has always been as great friend to me, always a very caring friend. He always shared with us how much love he had for his wife Betty, and how much he missed her.
Kevin, Thank you for always being there unselfishly for me and always helping me out. I will miss your wonderful words of wisdom, and and the way you always talked and the unending love you have for you beautiful wife Betty.  You Truly are a great Man.

Love always , Georgia.
MOM                        JOHNNY

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
Seven,

Thank you so much for posting this as I just finished working on my site, had a pretty good night with Dad...uneventful, I should say, and then I came here and saw your post sharing Kevin's message and I cannot stop crying.

Is anyone else having a really difficult time right now and if so, please share.

So sad, confused...Terry

SoCal2010

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
Is anyone else having a really difficult time right now and if so, please share.

So sad, confused...Terry

Yeah, I've been sad ever since I heard about it. I didn't even know him that well since I've only been here 2 months, but maybe because when I came to this board, I was at my most vulnerable point, so people really leave a mark on you.

From all accounts he was a great person, so I just don't understand why this had to happen. He went through enough loss and then to have to deal with his own diagnosis seems so unfair. Yet he still maintained a great attitude. He always seemed upbeat.

This just reinforces the idea that life is so damn unfair sometimes, which of course always leads me back to feeling my Mom was cheated out of precious time here on earth. Good people are always taken too young. I don't understand it.

If I remember right, he did mention something about a special female friend in his posts and I was thinking about her too today. I was thinking that we're all happy that Kevin is reunited with his wife, but there's someone here on earth who cared about him in that way too. So I feel for her too. I almost wanted to acknowledge her in the message I signed on his guess book but I didn't know if that would be appropriate, so I didn't.

So yes, I think we're all kind of numb and shocked hearing the news.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
Thank you, SoCal. 

Yes, it seems awfully unfair when someone had such a zest for life and had goals and dreams and was encouraged by means of professional advice/support that this optimism be maintained as a right or privilege, if you may, to continue to feel secure in the hope he held onto and so believed in.

And, I think this is what has a hold on me right now. Knowing that Kevin was sure he was going to beat this.

I'm so sorry about your Mom. I lost my Mom some 33 years ago, she was just 48. I miss her everyday.
It's so hard and my heart goes out to you. Like me, I know you wish you could just crawl up onto her lap and be comforted. What a great love, a mother's love.

I am glad though that you're able to keep contact with others and so thankful in that sense, for the Internet. It can be such a lifeline.

You will be in my thoughts, missing your Mom so very much. And thank you for responding to my pain/confusion tonight, I really appreciate it.

My love,
Terry

SoCal2010

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »
Something is really bothering me. I just looked at his guest book again and a couple people here posted this forum address. I'm not trying to start any problems but I consider the stuff we all write here private and I'm not sure if he would want all his friends, family and co-workers to read all of his hundreds of posts, which I'm sure had some private information in them. You know? If this is supposed to be an online "family" then we should respect people's privacy. Again, I'm not trying to start problems, especially in this thread, but I just had to get that off my chest.

SoCal2010

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:45 PM »
Thank you, SoCal. 

Yes, it seems awfully unfair when someone had such a zest for life and had goals and dreams and was encouraged by means of professional advice/support that this optimism be maintained as a right or privilege, if you may, to continue to feel secure in the hope he held onto and so believed in.

And, I think this is what has a hold on me right now. Knowing that Kevin was sure he was going to beat this.

I'm so sorry about your Mom. I lost my Mom some 33 years ago, she was just 48. I miss her everyday.
It's so hard and my heart goes out to you. Like me, I know you wish you could just crawl up onto her lap and be comforted. What a great love, a mother's love.

I am glad though that you're able to keep contact with others and so thankful in that sense, for the Internet. It can be such a lifeline.

You will be in my thoughts, missing your Mom so very much. And thank you for responding to my pain/confusion tonight, I really appreciate it.

My love,
Terry

Thanks Terry, I'm sending my love to you too. Yes, I would love to crawl onto my Mom's lap or to just sit by her on the porch like we used to when I'd visit. I always pass the porch and visualize her sitting there. I "see" her everywhere.

Kevin was doing well with his treatments so that's why it doesn't make sense. I wonder if some other issue came up. I agree, it seems so shocking because his attitude was so positive, no one could have predicted this. He was posting just a week beforehand.

(((hugs)))

MISSINGYOU

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 03:19:56 AM »
MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN DOWN. I JUST READ THIS FIRST THING. I AM IN SHOCK!!!! I knew about the cancer, but didn't realize how far it had gone. Kevin didn't say much. We talked via messages. He is wonderful and spiritual and and...wow, it is like losing a family member all over again. He is such a special person. God bless you Kevin, I will not forget.

Elizabeth

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 04:27:54 AM »
I think many grieving people (perhaps even some of Kevin's real life family) would find their way anyhow to this website.   
Certainly I know I have recommended this site to grieving people I know, and then they can choose to join or not, as they wish.

Seven

Lisasean2001

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »
Seven,

Thank you for posting Kevin's writing about his battle with grief and cancer. His words carry meaning that all of us can relate to. I just recently joined this site and feel unfortunate to have never met Kevin because any man or woman who can invoke such admiration from an unseen community by his words must have been a very special person. The post of his that you have shared with us is an inspiration to me in my battle and I hope that I can learn from his apparent strength.
Thank you for making it available for me to read.

Rest in peace Kevin, may you have eternal happiness with your wife.

Sean
No matter how far or how long life takes me away, I will never forget you. Always in my heart and always on my mind until my final breath.
"Lis" March 14, 1971 - July 4, 2009
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/okee02/DSC_0067.jpg

SoCal2010

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
I think many grieving people (perhaps even some of Kevin's real life family) would find their way anyhow to this website.   
Certainly I know I have recommended this site to grieving people I know, and then they can choose to join or not, as they wish.

Seven

There are things he shared that I'm sure he wouldn't want certain people reading. Maybe a disclaimer should be put on the front page of this forum saying that any of the "private" feelings we post here could at some point be read by everyone we know!

A memorial guest book is not a place to bring up someone's intimate feelings of "loneliness" and it's not a place to publicly advertise a "private" forum where that person shared private information. A guest book is simply a place for people to celebrate the positive things about the person who has just passed, so their family can read it.

georgiapeaches

• For mom, dad, Johnny & rock you left to soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
I have told everyone at work about the loss of this wonderful man I met on webhealing, and how he touched my heart so greatly, and helped me so much. Just the way he spoke about the Love he had for his wife Betty, I am honored to have known him, even if just in cyberspace.Kevin, you will be greatly missed, but I know you are in Betty's arms where you wanted to be since she left you so suddenly. Rest in peace Kevin and Betty Forever.

Georgia.
MOM                        JOHNNY

laurenE

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
Kevin made some very close friends here the year that he was our friend here.  He called some of you  often on the phone. I think he even met one or two of you-not sure.    He would send them emails regularly.    He trusted them enough to share some very personal information, such as his last name,  where he worked (the specific place of employment),  where he lived, etc. 

Kevin chose to be open and public with these friends, realizing that last names and information could eventually be googled.     I know Kevin knew his death was pending and I suspect he wanted us to find out when he died, so that he would not leave us hanging.  He was like that, cared about others more than anything.  He chose to be upbeat here so that we didnt have to worry or grieve.  He told me that.  He knew we were all suffering from enough grief and didnt want to add to our pain.  He wanted this to remain a safe place , where life here on the board was painfree, other than the pain we brough to the board.

You did not see that relationship because it happened off screen.  Trust them.  They knew Kevin better than anyone else here.  They never would have done it had they thought it would have hurt kevin.

Obviously you are afraid someone from your real life  is going to read your post.  If you do not want your information shared out there in the real world then dont tell your family and friends about this websight.   And dont tell anyone  here where you work, what your real name is (what your last name is) or anything that a person may google to find you.

Kevin chose  to share that inffo.  And I dont think he is upset.  I know he would want us to have closure in his death. He understood that need.  He was a social worker.  And to have closure in his death, we needed to know he had died and had not just disappeared or quit  from the board. 

lauren