Author Topic: A Rough Week in Buffalo  (Read 3958 times)

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
A Rough Week in Buffalo
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
Last week, Buffalo lost 2 firefighters in a deli fire.  Both were young, fathers with children.  The first was a Lt with a 6 month old grandchild.  The second, much younger, was from Ladder 7, where my Dad worked for the entire time he was on the Dept.  This young man had a child, a fiancee, and a baby boy due in 3 weeks.  The young man was the step son of one of my former co-workers, who I saw on TV with the firefighter's mother.   My friend treated this step son as his own. They were very close.

Firefighters hold a very special place in my heart because of my Dad.  They are a special & unique breed of people. They are very human - often needing assistance with grief counseling following tragic & often violent situations.  My Dad often had nightmares from the situations he was in.  When they lose one of their own - it is very much like losing a family member.

I remember a police officer telling me after Josh died "we are human too - it was something that I didn't want to see and hope never to see again".

Seeing the funerals was just devastating and highly emotional.

Love,

Dena, Josh's Mom

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: A Rough Week in Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Seeing it all brought my Dad's funeral back. My Dad died of Cancer in 1990.  He did not die on the job.  Yet, Ladder 7 sent an honor guard to be there for the funeral. I can remember walking out and having the men salute us as we walked through.  Through tears, I looked up to see Hook & Ladder 7 parked on the street in front. 

Love,
Dena, Josh's Mom

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »
I'm sorry Dena for the tragic losses and the impact that it has on your personally. Your Dad must have been a very special man.
My husband's family are NYC firefighters, local volunteer fireman, fire commissioners and police officers and special operations police officers.
Thank G-d we have been very fortunate in their safety. It is a constant cause of concern.
I will pray for you and for those who lost their lives and their loved ones.
XO Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
(((((Dena)))))

I can imagine the memories this loss brought back for you. I'm so sorry for the families. My cousin is a firefighter and most of my family is in law enforcement...it is a constant source of worry.

My cousin always told me...When I 'go' I want it to be on the job. They are all so courageous and selfless for the work they do for others. And, that is the ultimate sacrifice, to give your life for another.
They surely have a special place in God's Home.

I'm sorry for the great loss of your Dad. You must miss him terribly.

My Love,
Terry

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »
tears.. all I have are tears..

hugs, Karen
chris' aunt

Brenda Taylors Mom

• nospam
  • I miss you so much my "big tough guy"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.taylor-lewis.memory-of.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
((( Dena)))))

LaVonne

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
I am so sorry for the loss of two firefighters and the memories it brought back. please know I care . Hugs  LaVonne