Author Topic: What about using medications?  (Read 24514 times)

SoCal2010

• View Profile
Re: What about using medications?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »
Thank you Terri and Kay. :)

Everything feels so complicated right now in my head. I keep going back and forth on it. I have never taken any type of medication before other than anti-biotics so it feels weird to me to even think about it, yet I don't want to go down a very dark path that I might regret either. I haven't filled the prescription yet, I was thinking maybe I should wait until after I see the heart doctor for my palipitations to see what he says. I finally made an appointment for that. They mainly happen during the night, I think I'm having panic attacks when I sleep. All the sudden I feel like I've aged 30 years and have all these medical decisions to make. *sigh*

Thanks for your input and thoughts about this. (((hugs)))

flamingofred

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
My doctor spoke to me  about taking an antidepressant and actually gave me a prescription.  I have an anxiety disorder that i don't take medication for anymore I use cognitive reframing, guided imagery, and other tools. 
I have chosen not take the medication as I dont' feel as though i am depressed as i have had this in the past as depression is the flip side of depression.  I feel as though i am grieving not depressed and at times it is hard to know the difference.

Losing weight, appetite could also be a sign of grief, it is hard to say.  You just may want to check out where you are at with a counsellor especially a grief counsellor. 

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »
""Signs of Grief or Bereavement
Emotional reactions to loss or death vary a lot but can include sadness, insomnia, poor appetite, and weight loss. Excessive feelings of guilt or worthlessness or re-occurring thoughts of death are not part of a typical grief reactions.

(signs and symptoms taken from the DSM IV)

and

"Depression is qualitatively and quantitatively different from a normal reaction to setbacks and disappointments. Depression lasts longer and is generally more pervasive than normal feelings of sadness. Thoughts of suicide are virtually never part of a normal grief reaction"

http://healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/topics/depression.html

Juanita

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
Thoughts of suicide are virtually never part of a normal grief reaction"

So what about the thoughts that you'd just as soon be dead.  Not actively planning to commit suicide, but just a really strong feeling that life just isn't worth living?  That it's just too painful to go on alone?

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 03:53:46 AM »
Hell Juanita:

Well, I just do not know.  I suppose gref sends us into a spiral, for a while at least, so that it is hard to see the road ahead.  No doubt if you are seeing a therapist he or she would explain things to you better than any article could.

In any case I found this:

"In life, there are events that are inevitable. Perhaps the greatest quandary of life is reckoning with death and trying to transcend the ruins of mortality. Again, the reflections of our lives is how we cope with all things -- good and bad. The healing process of reflective thinking is merely a phase that all must encounter before going forth with comprehensive understanding. In essence, then, we are the reflection of our lives as we continue to live, breath, laugh, love, hope, sacrifice, sorrow, and even die.

The answer to finding inner peace in times of tribulation, is to circumvent the action and find wholeness in our true reflection. This is what sets apart the difference between living life to its fullest, to living life not worth living. The choice, however, is always up to you. Thoughts to ponder"

http://www.articlesbase.com/advice-articles/we-are-the-reflection-of-our-lives-how-to-survive-loss-humility-

Maybe these ponderings are useful-- maybe not.

Best wishes
Seven

Jap Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »
Juanita;

I have never had suicidal thoughts, but I did/do have thoughts that wish I had died with Jim or when he did. Even lately, it's like what is there to go on for. Then I think of my kids, grandkids ........... but I still do sometimes think it is too painful to keep on, trying to get through each day; it will be 10 months on the 21st. It just hurts so much and I ache for Jim so much. I am feeling worse now, as I think the fog has lifted and reality has really set in.

Praying for strength

Kay

cokieslittlegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 07:21:02 AM »
I agree. As time goes on I feel worse and worse. Hopeless, angry, sadness.  I guess there will be a corner to turn and things will feel better.  I think it would be easier to just be dead too...I look forward to sleeping every night because I know then I don't feel the pain.  Awake the pain is always there looming and striking.

However, I know that I don't wish it were me that died instead of my Dad because I couldn't stand the idea of my Dad going thru this pain in losing his little girl.  At least he is painless now. I hope one day I can be too. I wish the same for you all. I wish none of this happened. A year ago I still had hope, Dad had a really good summer. I miss him so much.

((hugs to you all))