Author Topic: Time is running out...  (Read 4313 times)

MonkeyMountain10

• View Profile
Time is running out...
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »
Hi everyone, I don't know if this is in the right category or not, but here it is anyway.

I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm in my early 20s. I'm the youngest of 4 siblings in my family. My siblings are all a lot older than I am (mid 30s), so they sometimes treat me like the baby of the family. Since I was very young, I was very aware of the fact that when I get old, I'll most likely be the last surviving member of my family simply due to the age difference. The fear of being alone was and still is always on my mind.

Of course, I understand that over the course of my lifetime, I'll be building a family of my own. But I know I'll still miss the "original" family I grew up with.

This fear has become more prominent lately with my parents showing signs of old age. My dad (early 60s) will be entering surgery in a few months. His outlook on life isn't as positive as it used to be. He doesn't expect himself to live much longer due to poor health... And my mother, who will turn 60 soon, has also shown signs of "giving up." She isn't as determined as she used to be. She isn't as energetic and her body aches... I sense my father's declining health is having a negative effect on my mother's outlook on life as well...

I'm sad to see the future I have been dreading unfolding so rapidly and so soon.  I'm scared and I really don't want to have to think about this. I feel like my siblings have had more time to spend with my parents while they were young and active.

I'm trying to cherish the time we have left together as a "complete" family, but it isn't easy with everyone living in different places. Sorry I know it's a bit of a downer :( but I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers

nancy/Patricks mom

• nospam
  • WE MISS YOU LP
    • View Profile
Re: Time is running out...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »
sounds like this needs to be posted under grief not related to death
NANCY/JOHNATHAN PATRICKS MOM/3-31-87 - 12-08-07

Sad Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:06 AM »
Welcome MonkeyMountain10,

I understand your fears, but you shouldn't let your fears hamper the way you live your life.  My advice, enjoy your family and live for the present!!!  Hope you have a nice Memorial Day!

Sad Eyes

kevinjj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:53:28 AM »
In this day and age, being 60 is not considered very old. Unless there are major, major diseases at play, Im sure your parents will be around for a lot longer. We all go through that, realizing that they cannot live forever.

georgiapeaches

• For mom, dad, Johnny & rock you left to soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »
Just live each day with them and put your worries to rest, it doesnt help worrying.

Georgia.
MOM                        JOHNNY

SunLilly

• I miss you Pops
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »
As the saying goes.., anyone could get ran over by a bus tomorrow...,

When my dad passed a few days ago, I wished, so badly, that I had had more talks with him.., taken the time to hang out with him more...,

You and your parents probably have a long time in this world still.., but you never know.  Say "I love you" every time you leave the ones you love. Let people know that they mean a lot to you and you're so glad they are in your life.

Let your parents (and other loved ones) know you appreciate them..., then if something should happen.., you won't feel like you had words unsaid...,

and stop stessing!

carrieset

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
Don't worry so much about your parents.  My dad was 52 when he had his first open heart surgery and he is still her today at 76.  My mom also had open heart surgery at 65 and she is still her at 70.

I know myself about worry............and fear.........enjoy your parents now!!  They could be here for along time.

It is hard to see our parents age.  I have not seen mine for almost 3 years as that was the 3 years of my L's battle with cancer and 1,600 miles away from my folks. 

Replace your worry with thanks that they are still here and you can talk to them now and be with them. 

I remember on many visists through the years (living in Arizona and my folks in Minnesota) how I saw the age progression.  Just love every minute you can talk with them or spend with them.

Carrie

MISSINGYOU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »
enjoy them enjoy them enjoy them. Don't borrow trouble. Say what you really feel and love them.