Author Topic: WATCHING FARRAH FAWCETT DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT RE CANCER  (Read 4067 times)

carrieset

• View Profile
WATCHING FARRAH FAWCETT DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT RE CANCER
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

What an incredible woman to document her cancer journey.  Very sad and like many of us who have journeyed with our loved one through cancer, there is always that hope and optimism for a miracle.

Was tough to watch the treatments and needles stuck in her stomach; to see the scans that weren't good (all reminiscent of L and my journey).

At her worst, barfing in a bucket, she is still beautiful and filled with courage and hope.

It was hard to watch her son (who was released from jail to see her) lay next to her.  It was hard to watch Ryan O'Neal lay in the hospital bed with her.  I remember all of those times crawling into L's hospital bed.

It is so obvious how much Ryan loves her..........he will be so lost without her.

Cried lots watching it.  CANCER sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cancer knows no boundaries;;;;;;;; from rich to poor and there is no $$$$ that can buy a healthy life back.

Peace to her and her family and friends (wonderful she has an awesome friend Alana).

Peace to all of us tonight,

Carrie

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: WATCHING FARRAH FAWCETT DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT RE CANCER
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:57:01 AM »
You are right, Carrie, there is no money that can buy good health.  There cannot be one of us but hasn't lost a loved one or dear friend because of cancer.

However - and this is a purely personal view - I do not agree that patients (famous or not) should parade the stages of the illness on television. In fact, I find it highly disturbing.  We had a similar situation over here, where a person called Jade Goody also went public with her illness, up to the time of her death.  I am not a television person, but any time I turned on the set to even see the news, there were other harrowing scenes.  Life is harrowing enough, heaven knows, without having to view this poor woman suffering. 
IMO, it is more dignified to keep such a highly personal episode in life private.

Best to all
Seven

Donna B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:54:29 AM »
Hi Carrie, I started watching the show last night, but had to turn it off. Brought back so many memories of the year I went through this watching my husband and than my year going through almost the same thing. Cancer is a horrible disease. But there are so many people that are going through it and have gone through it and they are just everyday people not celebrities. They are just as beautiful and just as brave as she is. I kinda agree with seven that this should be kept on a personal level. Even though I tuned in. Maybe she thought she was doing a service for other people with this disease. But how about going into the cancer centers and doing a documentary on those people that deal with this. I really am sad for her and her son. I know my kids were in his place to. Just sharing my thoughts. Hoping we all find some peace in out lives. Donna
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:06:59 AM by Donna B. »

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
Donna:

It is good to see you.  It has been quite a while!  Hope you are keeping very well.

Yes, I agree that a documentary on the ordinary brave people who attend every day at the treatment centres, and the great teams who treat them,  would be of far more use.

All the best
Seven 

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
Speaking of health, and health IS wealth, could I just urge all the ladies on here to please, please go for your routine mammograms and other health checks.  And the guys too, please go for routine check-ups every so often.  It is worth it.  You are worth it.

Take care all
Seven

flamingofred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
I didn't see this documentary, however my husband did die of cancer.  Maybe there is a reason that she did this and maybe it is helping somepeople.  At times it is difficult to understand why things happen etc.
Just prior to my husband being diagnosed with cancer a client of mine was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I went with her to her appointment etc, then my husband was diagnosed.  I remember thinking man this is too much for me however I do believe that supporting my client prepared me for what I had to face with my husband and in this case withmy husband I did have to be the strong one.  Also going through it with her was an education re cancer, treatments etc.

So we never really know why things are put out there in front of us.

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
I found this:

"Farrah Fawcett is caught in the middle of a legal battle between her longtime companion, Ryan O'Neal, and a producer who has worked with the "Charlie's Angels" star during her fight with cancer."
"Reached by telephone Thursday, Nevius (the producer) said he was filing the lawsuit to "execute (Fawcett's) artistic vision, and to safeguard her privacy to the extent that she wants it safeguarded."

This is precisely the distasteful type of thing which is likely to happen if you turn something so private as a dreadful illness into a public show. 

Seven

carrieset

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
Seven:

Wow, I didn't realize there was a legal battle re her "artistic" vision.  Odd!

Initially I wasn't going to watch it as I had called a friend to meet my daughter and me for dinner.  She said she would, but she wanted to watch the documentary.

When I went home I turned it on and thought maybe my friend will have a different perspective now re what Laurence went through and my having to go through it with him.  And, why after almost 5 months I am still hurting over the whole ordeal.

While watching it I did note that while lots lof money may not cure the disease, for someone like her, money helps in that she could fly to Germany in a private plan many times for treatment we don't have here.

Frankly I wish I could just rewind the last 3 years and have never encountered the nasty C word.

Carrie

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »
Yes, Carrie.  I wish that awful word did not even exist.

And you are right, there are many who have the money to travel to other countries for treatment.  Some people from these parts have the money to go to the great facility in Houston (Texas). 

Seven