Author Topic: Need some opinions....please  (Read 3375 times)

Sad Eyes

• View Profile
Need some opinions....please
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:55:46 AM »
Yesterday while reading my local paper I can across an ad promoting a murder/mystery dinner theater function at our local high school.  Having had my brother murdered a few years ago I find this type of entertainment a very poor choice for anyone let alone a high school fundraiser.   On Monday I plan to contact the unit superintendent, the high school principal, and several board members about this poor choice of entertainment.  What makes this even sadder is that, somewhere around 1968 the town cop/school bus driver was murdered on the school grounds.  I know that I am very sensitive to anything involving murder.  I posted about this yesterday on a murder support board and of course most people found it very offensive.  Am I being overly sensitive about this or is it as inappropriate as I feel it is?  I would like a few opinions before I contact the school.

georgiapeaches

• For mom, dad, Johnny & rock you left to soon!
    • View Profile
Re: Need some opinions....please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
Hi sad eyes,
Murder/mystery on school grounds, that doesnt sound right, maybe in a theatre. But I think its poor judgement on the superintendent. I work in a school and its all about keeping the kids safe. Even if there wasnt a murder in the school, I thinks its poor judgement, and I like the murder/mystery , thats what  I read about. I watch all those shows about that, but in a school setting? I think its in poor taste. Just my opinion of course.

Georgia.
MOM                        JOHNNY

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »
I am assuming this mystery dinner will be some kind of comedy/burlesque take on an Agatha Christie style drama or something like that?  However, you are within your right to query the matter with the school, particularly in the light of your own experience, and your feelings about it.

Best wishes
Seven

laurenE

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »
It depends on how they do it or what the story is about.  Sometimes they are unrealistic/silly/ fun and offer audience participation.     Contact the school to find out more about it.

Sad Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »
Thanks for your feedback on this, thought you might like to hear how it all went.  I did contact the unit superintendent, high school principal and a board member and told them my feelings about this event and how I thought it was very disrespectful to any murder victim, their families and especially so to the family of the slain cop/school bus driver. They all listened to what I had to say and said that I had opened their eyes to several issues.  This morning I received a call from the high school principal letting me know that the murder had been removed from the play. I can't begin to tell you how much that meant to me.  I know my brother is pround of me for standing up for my beliefs.

Luvinmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »
Dear Sadeyes, I know I am not alone in saying,"Good for you!" That definitely took some courage. Hoping you have a peaceful day tommorow feel proud that you took a little bit of unnecessary violence out of the world. Mother Theresa said,"We may not be able to do great acts, but we can all do small acts with great love." Hope all is well and you continue forward on this journey, your brother will not be forgotten. Terri

carrieset

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
I applaud you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy you took the steps you did and got results.  It is bad enough our children have to see so much violence on the news and on most tv programs, movies, video games, etc.

I can't handle it, how can their little minds???????

Off topic, but on the news tonight here in Arizona, they interviewed a couple that was really into S&M; then interviewed a shop where the owner explained how "healthy" it was for couples.  It was a little too graphic for the local news.  ANd I don't think it was appropriate at all.  Give us some good news, not filth that messes with the young people that these things are okay.  And, oh yes, the couple together, one of them was marrried to someone else and it was perfectly acceptable to "share".

Well sorry about ranting.  I am happy you did what you did!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to U,

Carrie

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:28 AM »
I am so proud of you-Standing up for the right thing is so hard-
                              Jeanne