Author Topic: Chemical Addiction & Mental Illness connection  (Read 2559 times)

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
Chemical Addiction & Mental Illness connection
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchreports/comorbidity/index.html

For those of you, who like me, lost a loved one to the horrors of chemical addiction, you might find this an informative read. If you know of someone who is still trying to make sense of a loved one in the throes of chemical addiction you might want to pass this site along.

Peace & Blessings to all who have been caught up in the grip of chemical addiction and for all who love them.
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Addiction & Mental Illness connection
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
"If you know of someone who is still trying to make sense of a loved one in the throes of chemical addiction you might want to pass this site along."

What an informative site with links to numerous articles. I DO have a dear friend who is, at this moment, so conflicted as to which way to turn in order to help her son, but as she's been told by so many, that unless he wants help, that there's not much she can do.

I tend to believe that, because she has had him in 6 rehabs already and is already grieving, because in a way, she has already lost him. She's a very loving Mom and he has turned his back on her and in so many ways. She does understand that it's the drugs and not her, because I have known this young man since he was a little tot and I don't know who he is right now. He wants 'one' thing and I fear for anyone trying to get in his way of getting it.

I was at the house the other night and he came in and went for her purse and she grabbed it and ran into the bedroom and locked the door. He turned to me and asked me for money and I told him that I would take him anywhere he wanted to go if he was ready to give up the drugs. As he was heading for the front door, I yelled out, "I Love You Bobby, so much" and he just kept on walking like I had said nothing.

My heart just breaks for her and for him. She doesn't even remember when it all started and before she knew it, it had escalated into an uncontrollable situation.

I've printed out a lot of the information for her to read because I feel that there may be a connection between the earlier behaviors and depression he suffered, and his current drug use.

Thank You, Paula for sharing this. It was very thoughtful.

Hugs & Love,
Terry

Dottie (Tammie's Mom)

• Tammie (My Precious Daughter) 8-9-65/9-14-05
    • View Profile
    • Project Tammie
Re: Chemical Addiction & Mental Illness connection
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
Thanks Paula,

Although most of this I was already aware of because of all the research I have done for my project Tammie, I  still found it most interesting.

I hope others learn from it.

Hugs,
Dottie Tammie's Mom