Author Topic: Missing my husband so much  (Read 40270 times)

sevenofwands

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Missing my husband so much
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Hello Nancy Jean:

I am very sorry for your loss, and your husband was such a young man when he died. 
I am so glad that your friends and family stepped in to help you at this time, to support you and to give you that holiday which I am sure you needed.  I agree with you that a getaway at such times is a huge help, just stepping out of the surroundings where the shadow of grief is so present.

All the best
Seven

mousewife

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »
Pete,

There is a book that I believe sums up the profound grief that we feel, yet provides an illustration of how we might find our way out of the darkness, and learn to live with the pain, while regaining a happy fulfilled live again.

It is called A Grace Disguised-- how the soul grows through loss.  It is written by Jerry Sittser, published by Zondervan.  It may be hard to read it too soon after the loss, as he is very honest about the trauma and the fact that it will not be a thing we can escape.  But he does show how he progressed to a way of learning to accept and live with it, and still find joy and peace and happiness in our lives.

One of his thougts is "The experience of loss does not have to be the defining moment of our lives.  Instead, the defining moment can be our response to the loss.  It is not what happens to us that matters so much as what happens, in us."  This man lost his mother, wife and youngest daughter due to a car accident in which he was driving.  He certainly dove into the depths of despair, but he embraced it instead of trying to deny it.  Through his difficult experience, he found a way to  acknowledge that this hideous thing happened and he will always live with that, yet he has enlarged his soul to allow for happiness and fulfillment in his life.

It is written from a Christian perspective, and does make reference to Biblical concepts, but not at all in a preachy way, only in the since that this man opens his wounded heart and soul and bares all of his feelings and beliefs.

If you read it, do so with the knowledge that you must read the whole book in order to get the total perspective.  The first part of the book deals more with pain and its relentless nature.  And don't read it before going to bed.

I hope this will help.  Peace to all of us,
mousewife

Pete (UK)

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
Mousewife:

Thanks so much for the kind thought. I'll try to track this book down. 'Focusing on his response' sounds very much like what we in the UK know as CBT; Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, and is all to do with the way we look at things. I'm very interested in CBT and I'm aiming to find out more and maybe pass it on.

Thanks again, wishing you peaceful moments free of stress and emotional pain,

Pete

grainofsand

• nospam
  • Hard to let them go...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Thanks Mousewife, I just bought a copy based on your suggestion.
Someone also posted this on the Suggested Reading area too back in 2007 you can read by clicking here A Grace Disguised.

Pete, I saw a few of these books on sale on Ebay in UK  ;D
Letter to Death: Death never looks back to see my tears or how difficult life has become now for me.
When death stops a heart, it doesn't understand that it beat with another.

mousewife

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
Pete and grain,

I hope the book helps.  I believe it is available at bookstores in the UK also.  His perspective may be in some ways similar to some of the concepts of Cognitive Behavior Therapy, but not in a formal therapeutic sense.  I believe it is more of his personal journey and his arrival at a point of knowing that there was really no other healthy choice but to go through the pain and learn to still see beauty and worth and value in his life.

I liked his honesty and his acknowledgement that we are forever changed.  It did help me to know that if this man could live through his loss, though he does not believe his is any worse than any other person's loss, that there was hope for me.  I am reading it again now because I don't feel I could focus on it as well as I would have liked when I first read it.  It  is a short read, but packed with a lot to think about.

mousewife

Egggirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »
My husband, Brian, took his own life one month ago after at least 15 years of struggling with depression and alcoholism. He was 38. We had been married six years, together for 10 total. No kids, which adds to the heartbreak.

I have been staying with my parents about 15 miles from home since it happened. They have been doing such a great job taking care of me and also letting me be when that's what I need. I am back at work as of 3 days ago, just part time for the first couple of weeks. I know I can't stay with my parents forever and I have to decide whether to move home (to my and my husband's house) or not. But reading all of these posts, it seems like leaning on my parents right now is making things a LOT easier than they would be otherwise.

I just want to make sure I clue in to when it starts becoming unhealthy for me to stay there and rely on them.

kevinjj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »
I'm sorry for you loss, egggirl - there are just so many things we have no real control over. I was helpless over what diabetes did to my wife over the years, despite the good care she took of herself and alot of doctoring. It is good to have family to lean on in times like this, it really is and don't worry about when it is time to go out on your own, you will know. Obtain all the support you can and take extra good care of  your health and know this journey does not have to walked entirely alone all by yourself. We are here for you, we know much of what you are going through, so stay in touch with us.

Luvinmike

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »
Kevin is right egggirl. Stay in touch. Tell us about yourself when you can. I am so sorry for the death of your husband. My family endured an enormous loss in our family to suicide when I was nineteen. I am 42 now- stay with your parents as long as you all feel comfortable.
You will be okay, but it will take some time. We are not able to direct the actions of others. I'm sorry for your loss. Prayers, Terri

Egggirl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »
Thank you, Kevin and Terri. Today I am still tired and a little angry. The good news is, today is the 4th day in a row I've taken a shower ... woo hoo!