Author Topic: ARTICLE: Energy Drain-Shirley Ottman,  (Read 3280 times)

John-Danielle Marie's Daddy

• nospam
  • Always Loving, Always Loved
    • View Profile
    • Danielle Marie's Memorial Website
ARTICLE: Energy Drain-Shirley Ottman,
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »
ARTICLE: Energy Drain-Shirley Ottman,

It’s surprising to me that much bereavement literature omits mention of the high energy drain which comes with grief.
If you are newly bereaved and have not yet realized that nearly all your energy is required just to deal with these many emotions you are now confronting, then let me assure you that this is the case.
Don’t expect yourself to complete projects within the same time frame as you once were able to. And if you work outside the home, don’t expect to be able to dazzle clients with your usual repartee.
It simply takes too much energy just to dress in the morning, to make the simple decision to eat, to stifle tears in public, to keep your anger from inappropriately erupting.
There is very little energy for anything else. Everything will take longer than you think including grief recovery.
You will, however, gradually rediscover yourself and build a new life. Your life will be a rich and full one in which the memories of your child will no longer produce pain. In fact those memories will enrich your life.
And that’s the truth!
Meanwhile, conserve your energy when and where you can and allow yourself time to grieve.
Remember that those persons who deny their grief simply delay the process. The quickest way to recovery is straight through the grief not around it.
Wishing You All Continuous Comfort & Peace,
John-Danielle Marie’s Daddy
1/4/95-2/20/06 (head trauma-motor vehicle accident)
“Her friendship was an inspiration, her love a blessing”

Donna Jasons mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: ARTICLE: Energy Drain-Shirley Ottman,
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »
Hi John:
Thanks so much for the article.  There is definatly a cycle that we have to go through with grief.  I'm not sure what stage of grief I am in right now but I know it has been 3 1/2 years since losing my precious Jason and I keep waiting for my energy to return.  I am not able to focus on anything and I am still sooooo tired.  Our lives have been forever changed and oh so different now.  I pray for us all that we will find the strength to carry on in this life and try to make it productive.
One day, one moment, one breathe at a time!!
hugs and love
Donna (Jason's mom)

tannersmom

• View Profile
Re: ARTICLE: Energy Drain-Shirley Ottman,
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »
so well put...one day, one moment and one breath!!!