Author Topic: A loving tribute  (Read 2145 times)

WendyRN

• nospam
    • View Profile
A loving tribute
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »
May 4, 1986, at 11:19 a.m. Keith was born at Grace Hospital in the city of Vancouver, B.C.  Yesterday he was 21 + 1 years old.  In the days and weeks leading up to this anniversary, I have been so ....  I don't know...antsy, fearful, worried, dreading, trying to find a way to cope I guess.  We planned a gathering of friends and family at a painted memorial wall dedicated to Keith.  It was so hard to keep the tears from flowing all day as I got everything ready.  My  own small family (hubby and I and two kids) had dinner out at one of Keith's favourite restaurants before heading over to the wall. 

But when we got there, all the anxiety just disappeared.  I just felt such love and warmth being with all his family and so many of his friends.  He hasn't been forgotten.  I felt Keith's presence amongst us.  We had music and people brought flowers and we shared our memories, what he meant to us, and how is loss affects us all.  No speeches or fanfare.  Just a gathering of people, loving him still, and missing his walking among us.  I made a card for everyone to write comments on and I'm so happy to have that as a keepsake.   

I decided that I can't ever really think of Keith as "turning 22".  He is forever young.  He is 21 + 1.  I brought 21 balloons and one big birthday balloon.  A friend also brought 22 balloons and it was a beautiful site seeing them rise in the air at dusk.  I pictured Keith grinning ear to ear and receiving this symbol of love with open arms.  It was a beautiful tribute.

Now.......Mother's Day.

Wendy

barb0617

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: A loving tribute
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »
I'm glad you felt that sense of peace, the presence of your son's spirit as you experienced his special day.  My Jimmy is forever 21; my Tommy forever 31.  Yes, Mother's Day awaits us and we feel the tension, the anxiety; we anticipate the sorrow.  Somehow we find the strength to endure the days that we used to celebrate with unfettered joy.  My heart is with you.
Barb