Author Topic: Something amazing...but I can't share it with my sister  (Read 7114 times)

butterfly26

• View Profile
Something amazing...but I can't share it with my sister
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »
Over the holidays (on New Years Day to be exact) I got engaged to my wonderful boyfriend of almost a year.  It was a very special evening of course and we called all our families and closest friends to tell them the good news.  While I am very excited to be marrying the man of my dreams, I feel sad that I can't enjoy it with my sister and only sibling.  (I lost her years ago to brain cancer.)  She was my best friend and probably would have been my maid of honor, and now she can't even be there.  I know she is with me and will be there "in spirit" but it saddens me knowing I can't share such a special time with her.  Any advice and support would help.  Thanks!

~butterfly

Lonnie

Re: Something amazing...but I can't share it with my sister
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »
Butterfly: Congratulations on your engagement  :), and I am so sorry that you can't share this wonderful time with your sister  :'(. I can only imagine how your heart aches to be able to laugh and cry, and plan your wedding together. I am sure some of the siblings on the board will be along to share with you soon. I just wanted you to know that someone saw your post and understands. Hugs-Lonnie

nuttychris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
Recently, I heard of a story where the bride's father died just before the wedding.  They had planned to have him give her away.  They set up a photo of the father next to the altar, and the mom gave the bride away.  But before she turned loose, 100%, the bride, the groom, and the mom lit respective candles representing themselves, and they all collectively lit the candle in front of Dad's photo. 

Dad was intimately part of the ceremony, even though they couldnt' have him there face to face.
Ps. 94:17-19:  Without your help, Lord, I would have dwelt in the silence of death.  If I should say my foot has slipped, your love supported me.  When doubts filled my mind, your love brought comfort to my soul.

Lonnie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »
nuttychris: What a wonderful suggestion.  :) This is the sort of innovative idea that Butterfly is probably looking for! Thanks! Lonnie

idunno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »
I kind of know how you feel.  I am not engaged though, I am only 19 but I lost my sister 4 years ago, and I often think, she was supposed to be there with me and that I wonder if she would be married now.  It really sucks to have to do things like get married, or graduate or things huge like that and not have your sister with you.  Ya know growing up you always think, oh she'll be with you through all that, and then shes not.  I'm excited that for you getting married, and I'm sorry your sister won't be there, but remember shes looking down on you.  I have a friend that lost he mom and when she was growing up her mom always told her that when she would find a dime on the ground that it was an angel watching over her, and she said after her mom passed away she finds dimes all the time, and feels like it's her mom reminding her that she is watching over her.  After my friend told me that I started to find dimes at random times too, like after I graduated I was cleaning out my binder and I turned it upside down to make sure I got everything, and the only thing that fell out was a dime, it was cool cuz, I was bummed that I had to graduate and my sister wasn't there to see it, and I was missing my friends from school, but that was one of those moments that I found a dime and it was my sister telling me, hey you, I was at graduation in the front row cheering for you!  So look for those dimes!  Let me know if you find any!  Have fun on your wedding day, I'm sure you will look like a princess!
Katty May

gabrielle01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »
Congratulations to you, and I know that your sister is smiling down on you as we speak. I wish for you all the happinness in the world.

butterfly26

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
Thanks for everyone's kind words.  I am very lucky to be getting two wonderful sisters-in-law (my fiance's younger sisters).  Sometimes my fiance gets frustrated with me when I'm not really open with his family, especially his sisters, but I try to explain that I am still really scared.  We had a nice talk over the weekend and he said that I am closing myself off to a lot of love, which I don't want.  We are working on it, and I think he is beginning to understand.  :)

~butterfly26