Author Topic: Ice storm  (Read 2563 times)

Wadesmom

• View Profile
Ice storm
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:01:11 AM »
  My heart hurts and aches for all the parents /aunts/grandparents that are here- yet the support and understanding  is like no other.

Last week we encountered an  ICE storm that caused thousands of power outages in our community.  My parents were with out electricity for 7 days So My folks stayed with us during that time. We encountered power outages off and on- but we have a generator for back up. Our landlines (phones) were down for 2 days and we did not have an internet connection for 4 days due to the ice. Cell phone use was also limited due to the reception in the area.

It's strange how something like this no longer has the same effect on me now that it once did- it is not devastating to have temporary set backs, down lines, building, tree and landscape damage but to some-it's a drastic dramatic loss. It's not devastating - it's only a termporay  inconvenience.  All of this can be fixed.

I am glad that others can not relate, do not understand, and that they have not had to wear these shoes,,,,yet it's so confusing for me to hear of their temporary hardships which are openly discussed and acknowledged.
I'm not trying to complain - it was just an observation.

The only inconvenience for me - was that I missed this website and you guys-  I know that sounds weird, but I missed not being able to log on, read or post. The support and comfort gained from this forum is what it is. Yes it is tough to read the posts some times, see new posts from new members on the forum, yet it's a support like no other because all of you  can painfully relate and understand.
I'm sorry we are here-and wish everything was different for each one of us. Yet wanted to thank each of you  for your support, encouragement and thoughtfulness.
Wadesmom

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
Re: Ice storm
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:09:24 AM »
wadesmom - are you in OK? I have heard there have been so many without power there and still are.. I "get" what you are saying about it not being a devestating thing - that has a whole new meaning to those of us here.. but glad your folks were able to shelter with you to wait it out..

I have a friend at work who has gone through separation/divorce in the past year and I know that splitting time with her husband having the kids has been very hard on her - she is jewish and he is christian - so they usually celebrated both holidays (Hannukah and Christmas) - now he has them for christmas and she is distraught - I want to tell her it is only a few days and she will get to see them again - but I cannot - she has not been where I've been so her pain is her own and it is valid for her -

Meanwhile we face another Christmas without Christopher (5th) and my brother never ever gets to see his only child, his precious son ever again on this earth - to me THAT is heartbreaking - and everyone here understands without words..

luv and hugs, Karen
Chris' aunt

Jeanneb

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
Joleen,

So good to see you post.  I've been wondering how you were doing and glad to know that you are ok.  It is amazing how this becomes our lifeline.

We do have a completely different outlook on life after loosing our children.  You are right...while there may be inconveniences along the way we know that this too will pass and things can be repaired and we will make it through.  Actually, I think we have a much healthier look at life than most.

So glad to know that you are ok.  Keeping you and Wade in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Jeanne

Jeanneb

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Karen,

You and I have been on this journey about the same time.  It is also our 5th xmas without Philip...hard to imagine isn't it.  Philip was taken in July and Chris in Nov., 2003...at times it seems forever and then other times it was just yesterday.

Hold on tight my friend...it soon will be another holiday past.

Jeanne
Philip's mom