Author Topic: Did you light a candle last night?  (Read 6326 times)

luckyladyb

Did you light a candle last night?
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:04:35 AM »
We put a candle in a standing candle holder last night on our front porch and lite it at seven. We thought about our son, Jason and all the other children who are no longer.
It was a special moment for my husband and I. Thanks to Karen Paul for bringing it to our attention.
I'm having a tough time with the holidays.  We're basically "skipping" Christmas this year. It will be our first without our son. We think he would understand.
I hope you guys understand that even if I don't feel up to posting, I still wish every child a Happy Birthday and Spirit Day.  I think about my cyber friends and wish you all the strength and happiness possible.
The new pictures are great. We're getting to put a face to the names we've grown familiar with.
Take care.
Jason's Mom, Bonnie

Annette

• nospam
  • Michael, my beloved first son, I miss you so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you light a candle last night?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
I did light a candle at the ceremony for Compassionate Friends. It was cold and windy. I was very emotional and cried and cried.
Michael's Mom
12-13-82 - 5-14-07

Trevor & Michael 2004 Age3

sandy2

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »
ANNETTE , i so echo your words, we went in a ice storm. first time so emotional, but also very nice. what a rememberance for ALL OF OUR CHILDREN!. LOVE SANDY SHANES MOM

Landons Mom Shelly

• nospam
  • We love you Lan-Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Hello Bonnie,

I'm sure your son would understand how you're feeling about the holidays . . . maybe you could take a little trip on his behalf this Christmas, just something especially for him, as if he were there with you, hand in hand (I know he's watching over you and wants you to be okay).

I'm glad Karen brought the candle lighting ceremony to my attention too.  My son's Bryan (16) and Christian (10) had 5 candles set out, we each took turns saying the prayers and lighting each candle at 7pm, I was blubbering/bawling as we did this, but it made me feel a connection to Landon.  I called some close friends and my family beforehand and made sure they would light a candle as well.

Thinking of you all,

Shelly

Landon's Mom forever,

Shelly

My Precious Little Landon -- Forever in our Hearts        http://landon-greenan.gonetoosoon.org
August 1, 1995 - June 1, 2007

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
You guys are going to get a smile out of this one - after letting all of you know about the Worldwide Candlelighting I totally forgot to light my own candles last night  - my brain is really not what it used to be -

I called a friend whose mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last summer - this friend lives a few hours from me and I have not been able to see her as she has gone through so much with her mom- I spoke with her for over an hour on the phone and by the time I got off I had totally forgotten

My only excuse is that I seem to have caught a cold and just started getting symptoms last night - so I was not feeling very good - and oh so tired.. this morning I was driving to work and remembered! Ack...

I'm glad you all were able to do it and that it brought some comfort or a feeling of closeness...
luv and hugs, Karen

sandy2

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »
KAREN, that is kinda cute lol must be our age! but thanks to you we all lit candles for CHRIS & ALL OUR OTHER CHILDREN.so see if not for you in the beginng , lots of us wouldve never knew.  ;)thanks for letting us know, next time well try to remind YOU  :-*LOVE SANDY SHANES MOM

Brenda Taylors Mom

• nospam
  • I miss you so much my "big tough guy"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.taylor-lewis.memory-of.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 06:11:06 PM »
Yep lit  many candles for our SUPER kids.
Love
Brenda
I KNOW they saw all those shining lights and smiled....

Kathy

• nospam
  • Don
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »
Dear Karen,

I read your post and thought , but you did light a candle. You lite a candle by calling a dear friend. You lite a candle by telling people on this site about the Worldwide Candle Lighting by Compassionate Friends. Thinking of you and Christopher tonight.

Love,
Kathy-Don's Mom

lainie

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • www.beheartstrings.com
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
Yes, I lit a candle at home on Sunday night.
Elaine, Brynn's mom
My beautiful Brynn
Dec. 14/94 - Jan. 2/07

Rebecca

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:07 AM »
We did last year but this year I was suffering the effects of my surgery and forgot.  I am sure my Jason and Chis and any of us who did not light the candle for them specifically were included in others. Oh, how I miss my boy.
Rebecca Jason's Mom

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
Hey everyone  - thanks for your thoughts re: my forgetfulness... I'm sure all of your lights were bright enough for Chris and Jason to see along with your precious kids and they know we are thinking about them always..

Rebecca - glad you are home from your surgery and recovering.. did the doctor give indications of how it went? I do hope your lingering pain will be resolved and you are on your way to feeling physically better than you have in quite a while.. know that you are in my thoughts..

hugs, Karen

DantesDad

• Love you Dante - see you soon
    • View Profile
    • Dante's tribute page
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:31:08 AM »
We lit a candle (we actually light one every night) for not only Dante but all of the children here.  I pray for you all each and every day - that we have the strength and courage to get through this...

Peace to us all,

Marty - Dante's Dad

WendyRN

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
Thanks, Marty, for including all our kids in your nightly candle lighting. 

My husband and I lit a candle at home.  The closest involved Compassionate Friends chapter is quite a drive away so we didn't go out.  I don't do well in a crowd yet.  Thanks Karen for keeping us informed. 

Wendy, Keith's mom

Brenda Taylors Mom

• nospam
  • I miss you so much my "big tough guy"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.taylor-lewis.memory-of.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:52 AM »
OH Yes, Jason and Chris for for sure included, they are family ...
Love you
Brenda