Author Topic: Putting our dog to sleep  (Read 11137 times)

SueH

• nospam
    • View Profile
Putting our dog to sleep
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »
We (my husband, son and I) are going to have our golden retriever put to sleep this Friday afternoon if he can live till then. It’s such an awful thing to do.. make an appointment to end a life????
He has been ill for the past year... deteriorating slowly, but the last week, he has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He has already started to show the signs of the illness, and it will rapidly get worse.
I have for the past 6 months, been by his side almost 24/7. I have been having to turn him over every2- 3 hours through the night, helping him get up and down as he hasn’t been able to by himself. Bringing him his water and food. Helping to hold him while he goes to the bathroom etc.
Our dog... of 15.9 years who has been with us through thick and thin... was by Sara’s side through her entire illness from day one.. is going to be ‘gone’. Just another horrible traumatic thing to deal with.
I may not post for a bit...
I am thinking of you all!!!
Sue *Sara's* Mom
"yep yep yep"

JenKellisMom

• View Profile
Re: Putting our dog to sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »
Sorry to hear that Sue.  My last dog was diagnosed with lymphona and he deteriorated quickly.  As hard as it is, its better to not wait too long.

At least he'll be with Sara, and there's some comfort in that.

Thinking of you and sending blessings your way.

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »
Sue - I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet golden... I too had a golden retriever, who my nephew Chris loved to pieces... Putnam was just three years younger than Chris and we had to put him down the year after Chris died.. it was so hard and even though Put wasn't Chris' dog.. they were linked and it was like losing a part of Chris all over again.. not to mention
"my kid".. we had Putnam since he was 8 weeks old and had to put him down at age of 14 yrs... he was the sweetest doggie..

Here's a pic of Chris and Putnam together when they were both little..

luv and hugs, Karen

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »
((((Sue)))) -

I am SO sorry.  I had to have Josh's cat, Hobbes put down on 9/6 of last year and it was very hard to go through.  I know that Sara will be waiting with her arms open for him.  I will be thinking of you on Friday.

Love,
Dena, Josh's Mom

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

Jeanneb

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Sue,

I am soooo sorry.  I know how hard this is.  We had to put our dog down last year.  Making the appointment is just gut wrenching.  We put him down on Philip's angel date, had him cremated and buried his ashes on Philip's grave.  Philip loved that dog so much, they grew up together and it just seemed the right thing to do at the time.

Sending you strength and a hug,
Jeanne

Gill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
Sue - I am so sorry you have to go through this,  it is a very painful experience especially when a beloved pet is a link to your child.   My son and I cried like babies when we took our German shepherd mix in many years ago.

We now have two dogs who are now nine and ten years old.  Joanne was my walking buddy and we spent many happy hours in a nearby state park with the dogs.  I just made an appointment to take the older one in for a check up on a nasty lump on her neck, I am hoping it is nothing serious.  

You are performing a great act of love and kindness for your sweet dog.
Thinking of you
-Gill

VickiC

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 04:31:38 PM »
Sue,
My heart goes out to you....I am so sorry you have to do this....We had to put our yellow lab, Jake, to sleep yesterday.....He was 11 but had cysts all over him.....he stopped eating 5 days before that.....He never complained or whimpered but just gave us the look as if to say, "please end my suffering".  My youngest son, Seth was with me and I sobbed for a long time on his shoulders.....It seems like I have kept in a lot of sadness and tears for Craig this last year.....but it all came out again yesterday.....Jake was the kindest, most loving, loyal soul I have ever known.  He stayed by our sides constantly after we lost our son and was always there to snuggle with me and to hug when I had my constant crying spells....He was our "foster dog" who was given to us after a friend couldn't keep him.....He was passed around so much and abused, he really didn't think he would be with us for long.....He was with us for 5 years.....He was so happy to actually get real loving and affection.....and he gave it to us ten-fold......My heart is broken all over again and I am alone in the house during the day with no one to carry on my every day rituals with....Jake was my best buddy....Both my hubby and Seth work during the day but Jake was also closely attached to Bill.....He tried not to show his intense grief because he knew how fragile and devastated I was but I could tell that he had lost his best friend.......Craig's birthday is also on Sunday, Sept. 16th, so I am especially emotional and on edge.....I like to imagine Craig greeting Jake along with his dog, Sage, (who was killed 2 years ago), and now they all are playing happily in a gorgeous mountain meadow surrounded by pure love....

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your faithful friend....Know that I am holding you close to my heart.....I do think of all of you and your beautiful children every day but can't seem to post much these days.....I can't find the right words......

Sending love and strength,
VickiC
mom who misses Craig (09/16/83 - 05/03/2003) more than ever........

MelissaCharliesMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 05:47:07 PM »
I am so very sorry. I love my dogs so much and my oldest, my girl Maddie is 9 which for an English Mastiff is quite old. her hips have deteriorated but as for now the vet says she doesnt seem to be in any pain.
Know I will keep you close in thought on Friday as you do the most selfless thing you can do for someone you love so much.

Wadesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 03:58:28 AM »
You've been so devoted and caring  to your golden retriever. I'm thinking of you & I realize how hard this is to do.   You're so right- It IS very traumatic for us to deal with something like this when they were such a significant part of our childs life. 
My thoughts are with you.

Wadesmom

HurtinginPa

• Gone But Never Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 05:09:12 AM »
When i was growing up we had an Americian staffordshire terrier. he was like a sibling to us and in 1997 we found out he had cancer we all was crushed. my son was born may of o7 and dignosed with liver cancer 11/97 by spring time in 98 he was getting worse we took turns caring for him throughout the day. my son got the okay he was okay and shouldn't have to worry about it coming back the very next day we had to have him put to sleep. we all believed he gave up his life for my son to live we had him cremated an brought home and stayed with us untill Aug 10 they day we lost my brother we all thought how much my brother loved our dog and would want him with him so we buried the two of them together my brother was holding his box as we said goodbye to both. it was hard on all to lose our beloved pet whom we had almost 13 yrs.but it was very special having him go with my brother.

DantesDad

• Love you Dante - see you soon
    • View Profile
    • Dante's tribute page
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:23:44 AM »
Thinking of you today Sue.  I am a true dog lover (we have two - Denali and Lakota) and I know the pain of putting a friend to "sleep".  I am very sorry you have to go through this loss.

Peace to you,

Marty - Dante's Dad

luckyladyb

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »
I too am sorry that you have to say good-bye to your four legged friend. How lucky he was to have you to care for him the last few months.
We have experienced this with our beloved Boxer, Marley Blue and less than a year later, Marley's best friend, our cat, Cody.
It's not easy ..............  warm thoughts will be with you.
We are trying to get our son's Boxer, Jackson. His girlfriend has the dog so it's a legal battle. We feel strongly that he would want us to have him. It's a connection to him that we could use for a few years.
Take care.

marie

• nospam
  • Patrick & Biscut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »
HI Sue I know what you are going through about your dog. I lost all my dogs except Joey He is a toy Pom. I had to put all of them in a kennel when I got sick. The lady at the kennel had to find homes for them My Molly black Pom, found a good home . Willy My American ESKIMO died 2weeks ago in the kennel. MY chinese crested two of them and Patrick's dog went to Fort Erie Ontario to a rescue place. The lady at the kennel is keeping Joey because he has a few medical problems. I am in a assited living faculity place and can't have a pet. Take time to grieve.Some day you might want another dog there are so many of them out there that need a loving home. Love and Hugs MARIE 

Dottie (Tammie's Mom)

• Tammie (My Precious Daughter) 8-9-65/9-14-05
    • View Profile
    • Project Tammie
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
Dear Sue,

I am so sorry your sweet dog will have to cross the rainbow bridge, but I am so sure your beautiful Sara will be there to greet him and be so happy to see him.

It sounds as if he has been lucky to have a family like you love him his entire life. I know how hard it is to lose our pets they truly are part of our family.

It sounds as if you have done all you can and his quality of life is gone. However I can tell he will be forever missed.

Love and hugs to you and your family, your in my thoughts,
Dottie Tammie's Mom

Brenda(Jessica's Mom)

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Jessica Kaiser
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 10:07:30 PM »
((Sue)) I havent had to go thru that yet with Jessicas kitty, i dread the day. Sending you hugs for tomarrow.