Author Topic: It has been a while...  (Read 8156 times)

trumpetlove

• View Profile
It has been a while...
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »
Wow. It has been almost 2 years since I've been to this site. Life got hectic and everything, so I suppose it slipped my mind to visit.
I'm not sure if any of you remember me, but I'm Allie. I started to visit this site about 5 years ago when my brother died. I was only 8. I was also pretty educated about technology, so my mom showed me this site. My brother had heart complications since birth, and had over 5 surgeries in a 17 year life.
Mark and I were not close in age, but we were pretty close considering the age difference. He was a good brother. He cared so much for his little sister, and his little brother. I was the youngest, and he was the oldest. He kept me believing in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and such as that. He loved his family...they were his main priority. He loved to go to church. He was loyal to his friends, and everyone that knew him was influenced to live life like there's no tomorrow. Mark was a happy-go-lucky kind of person. He made such a difference in my life. He never gave up, and he would always make you feel better. I wish I could have known him longer than 8 years...and only about 4 of those years were conscious. I wrote a lot about him after he died..I still do. I've made teachers and family and friends cry because of what I've written about him. Now I've got pictures, memories, writings, songs, and stories to remember him by.

I know I have written that time and time again, but it's true. Mark meant so much to me. He's my inspiration.

Lonnie

Re: It has been a while...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »
So good you came back to visit.  :)  I know your writings must be a wonderful tribute to your brother. Why don't you share some of them with us? You sound so mature for your age Allie, and full of wisdom as well! Your brother sounds like a wonderful guy!!!!!! Hugs-Lonnie

trumpetlove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
Thanks a bunch, Lonnie!!  :)  That made me feel better. I might just post a few of my writings on here soon. I'm glad I came back to visit too.

-Allie :P

AllysonD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
Hi Allie! Tell me more about your brother and I'll tell you about mine! My brother Brian died in April of this year. He was 26.

I would love to hear more about your brother. What was his name? What is a favorite memory you have of him?

trumpetlove

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
My brother was, in my opinion, a really good person. He was only 17 when he died. It's really ironic, he died of a heart condition on Valentine's Day, when his heart was his greatest asset. He always cared what I thought and what I did. He'd help me with any little project and he would help anyone in need.
I guess all these feelings are coming back because I recently joined the marching band at my highschool. Mark absolutely adored marching band and everything that came with it. He loved the practices and the competitions. I've just recently started remembering the times I spent with him at practices. I had a breakdown at practice on Friday and it came all of a sudden. No warning, it just came out, like a dam had broken and my tears overflowed. Mark's old uniform is hanging in a frame in the band room. He has a special award that they give out every year. It's called the spirit award. I can hear him now, "An award? After me? You people are too kind!!" and then he would probably do a sarcastic wink and point his fingers as to say, "Booyah!" which was his favorite word. After practice, my parents had heard about my little breakdown. My mom said, "You know, if Mark were still here, he would be at every practice after work every day? And he would be right there with you at competitions. He would have been so proud of you. Can't you feel his spirit in you?"
 And I can. He was someone you wouldn't forget, not even for a lifetime. Someone who would always be happy to lend a hand, give a million dollar smile, and give a hug. His hugs were the best.

A favorite memory? Hm...it's hard to say. He always played Santa Claus for me. He was a lot of fun...it's hard to pick just one...

Wow, I wrote more than I had planned. But, that's Mark. My brother, the one I'll always love.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. What was his name? What was your favorite memory of him?

-Allie :P

Lonnie

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
Allie: What a wonderful, funny, loving, terrific brother you had!  And yes, it must be painful to be in his element at times, with his uniform hanging in a frame and all the bittersweet memories.  And yet, it must be good in a way also. :) As your mom said, he is with you as you do some of the things he did, in the places he did them. And I believe that when you march in the band, he is marching with you, and smiling that million dollar smile ;D, and giving you the biggest hug! You make him proud! Hugs-Lonnie

AllysonD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »
Well his name was Brian and he was 26. He was born when I was 12 - SURPRISE! He was such a great kid. My favorite memory - there are so many. He had this crazy dance he would do. He loved LSU football and last year my husband took him to a game. He called us and he was having the time of his life. I am so glad they got to do that.

The way he used to bother me and my boyfriends when they came over (I was 16, he was 4...pesky little brother!)

The way he was always so kind and patient with my grandmother

The way he always said "Dude"

How excited he was when he called to say he had proposed - and she said YES!

How happy he was at the Mardi Gras parades back in February, 2 months befor he died.

Just lots of stuff.

But yes I bet your brother is loving that you are in the marching band and I bet he's cheering you on all the way!

trumpetlove

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 10:03:19 AM »
Your brother sounded like a good guy. I'm sure he was. I hope that you'll always keep his memory alive and I know he is so proud of you for dealing with his loss in a positive way. We can't mope around...life goes on..and so will we.

trumpetlove

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 10:05:36 AM »
Lonnie-  thanks. I know that he's with me all the time. I can feel it. Thanks for your kind words.  :P

-Allie. :P

middle sis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
trumpetlove,
Sorry for your loss. Your brother seemed to really love and care for his baby sis. Big brothers always seem to have a way with takng care of thier baby sisters. My brother was great, he wouldn't let anyone or anything hurt me. My little sis and I were the same way too. Actually no one would dare mess with any of us, knowing that in the end they would have to face the three of us. But now I have to do it all alone. They both passed away in a car accident almost 9 years ago.
Was your brother your only sibling? How have you been doing now that school has started back up again? Still in the marching band I hope. What a special time to share that your brother loved. Just know that I am thinking of you tonight. Sending plenty of hugs your way
Middle sis

trumpetlove

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
Middle Sis,
Yeah, my brother cared a lot for his little brother and sister. I have one other older brother, but he is engaged and works at night, so I only see him on the weekends. I wish I got to see him more.

I am terribly sorry that you had to lose both your siblings at once. That must be really hard. I hope that things have been easier since then. If you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here.

Yep, I'm still in marching band. And I hope that Mark's proud of me, because I've been working my hardest (although it still looks kinda rusty) to honor his legacy that he left behind. The band teacher told me that I remind him so much of Mark by the way I talk, my facial expressions, and my pride for marching band.

I'll be thinking of you too, and I hope that you'll remember that they'll love you always, and are proud of you for being so strong and helping people who have been through what you have.

Hugs!!
Allie :P