Author Topic: sending a personal 1 on 1 message to someone here...???  (Read 5600 times)

starynyte

sending a personal 1 on 1 message to someone here...???
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:36:35 AM »
When reading someone's post, to the left, and under their thumbnail profile picture there are some icons. The one on the end is a green scroll, this allows you to send the person a personal message [not posted to the group].

I tested this with myself and the message comes directly here, not to your email, however I don't know where to access this feature to check if there are any personal messages in my box...

Has anyone else figured this out yet? Anyone want to test it out with me so we can figure it out?

I think this is another great feature to this new board, and I hope people use it when feeling they want to respond to a post but not share their opinions with the entire board.

Jeanneb

Re: sending a personal 1 on 1 message to someone here...???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:27:11 AM »
Cherri,

I just used the icon next to the green scroll and sent you an email.   Let's see if that works.  I think the green scroll lets us send an email as well but also posts online.  Not sure, still trying to figure some of this out.

Jeanne

starynyte

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:32:36 AM »
did u use the green scroll to send the email or another icon? i thought the green scroll was for an online personal message... and there was another icon for email

starynyte

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:35:11 AM »
the little icon with an envelope and letter sticking out the top is the link to email someone, and the green scroll is to send a personal/private message, it also shows if the person is online [if they select to be seen in their prefs]

i just cant figure out where to check the in box for private online messages through the board.... try that one [green scroll] and see what happens...

thank you Jeanne

starynyte

i found something
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 06:46:13 AM »
if you click on ur profile, then in the settings click on the [look and layout prefs] down the list there is [Show most recent personal messages at top.] i guess if that is checked then any personal messages will show up at the top of the screen....

ohhh there is also [Personal Message Options] in the profile settings, which allows you to configure prefs for recieving personal/private messages

COOL, i think we figured it out, send me one so i can see if it works
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:50:02 AM by Cherri ~Chris's Mom »

Rebecca

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:05:23 AM »
Cherri: You have been so helpful with your knowledge of computers and this program.  I now know how to send an e mail.  Now, can you tell me where I find my profile?  Also, maybe later you can help me put a picture of Jason and us on here.  I have it in my e mail as a friend helped me.  I am such a computer moron and really afraid for some reason to try new things.  Thanks for your help.
Rebecca, Jason's Mom

starynyte

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:41 AM »
Cherri: You have been so helpful with your knowledge of computers and this program.  I now know how to send an e mail.  Now, can you tell me where I find my profile?  Also, maybe later you can help me put a picture of Jason and us on here.  I have it in my e mail as a friend helped me.  I am such a computer moron and really afraid for some reason to try new things.  Thanks for your help.
Rebecca, Jason's Mom

You are so welcome Rebecca, thank you. Look all the way at the top by the blue block of color and the logo, there is a line of links there, one of them is [profile] click on it, and u will go to your profile where u can make changes to all sorts of things. on the left of ur profile is a menu of areas to choose/change settings.

it is there too that you can add pictures, i think the pix have to be under 124k though, if u need help sizing a pic email it to me and ill work on it tonight when i get home from work and email it back to you.

have a peaceful day,
love cherri

starynyte

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
Rebecca, forgot to add, it's ok to be afraid to try new things... but theres nothing to mess up here sweetie :) click around and see what does what and you'll get how it works eventually, thats how i figured it out :) in the meantime, i dont mind helping at all, makes me feel good to be able to help someone. so many people have helped me in life, im just paying it forward however i can.

starynyte

personal message notification ~how it works
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 09:41:31 AM »
when you get a personal/private message, there will be notification at the top right corner of your screen.

There's a welcome [your screen name] then it will say how many pm's you have in your box, and if any are new.

A NICE feature to this group.

Jeanneb

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
Cherri,

I got the message.  It did show next to my name I had one message.  So that works!

Jeanen

starynyte

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:43:21 PM »
posting it here too...