Author Topic: *Warning* Did something I never thought I would do....  (Read 9635 times)

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
*Warning* Did something I never thought I would do....
« on: April 23, 2007, 04:00:30 PM »
I was reading the local newspaper during my lunchbreak today.  I usually read the "sound off" column because too many people write total nonsense in and it is published.  Some say stuff to see how riled people can get.  Needless to say, this one riled me.

The "person" wrote - why bother having a dive team to pull people out of the canal.  They are already dead, so why not just leave them there.  What is the worse thing that could happen? I snag a jacket with a fish hook?.

There is no love lost between me and the press, but I felt compelled to write in to this person. I basically stated "I hope you never have need for the dive team, but if you do, these highly dedicated people will be there, just as they were for my family almost 8 years ago when they recovered my son and returned him to his grieving family.

What possible good will this do?  I don't know.  But if more than one person reads it and keeps in mind that they really need to watch what they have published....so be it.  As for the news?  They say that this stuff is edited for "good taste".  Hardly what I would call that post. So it was time to make a stand and because I didn't have to use my name or location, that is probably just as well.

Love,
Dena, Josh's Mom

Katie--Adam's Mom

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: *Warning* Did something I never thought I would do....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Oh, (((((Dena))))), what a cruel and thoughtless comment that was and how dare they publish such a thing!!!  I am so glad that you wrote back and took a stand!  So proud of you!

Love and hugs,
Katie

MelissaCharliesMom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »
Congratulations to you Dena!!I am sorry you had to read such trash, but I am so glad you have spoken out against such incredibly ignorant nonsense! Living in a very small town such as we do, I am known locally as the one who "fights" for the cause (whatever it may be - i.e. the shoddy job that was done by our local sheriffs dept. investigating the accident that took my boy).
If more people in this world spoke out against such BS maybe some people would wake up !!
Again I am so very sorry you had to read that trash but so very glad you stood up and did something about it. Sending strength and peace.

MARTHA(CANDI'S AUNT)

• nospam
  • AUNT MARTHA LOVES YOU CANDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
DENA,
  I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT ,LET ALONE PRINT IT IN A NEWSPAPER. I'D BE SO MAD....... EVIDENTLY THEY HAVE NEVER EXPERIANCED A LOSS OF A CHILD & I HOPE THEY NEVER DO.

KEEPING YOU IN MY THOUGHT'S & PRAYERS.

MARTHA

Marianne

• nospam
  • Alek's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »
People can be so careless with their statements!  I, like you, hope this person never has to learn first hand why his comments were so very wrong.

Good for you for writing back!
Marianne (Alek's Mom Forever)

Lonnie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:33:31 AM »
What a thoughtless, callous remark! I agree with you it is infuriating!!!! I question the humanity of this person. I am so proud of you for standing up to him. (I probably would have said a lot worse), but your comment was absolutely perfect! You go girl!!!! Hugs-Lonnie (from the Main Board)

Rebecca

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:44:27 AM »
Dena:  I could count at least 10 times a  day when people make stupid references to loss of children... just yesterday on Oprah, a man wrote a book about being a dad as if his children were employees and how to get rid of a poor one.  He made other references which I have tuned out now.  Even over the weekend when we had my husband's cousins from NY over, the wife called her son, after dinner with us sitting there, discussing the ball game.  He had hung up with his father and she called him back and said: Son:  didn't you want to talk to me... are you watching the game.  I had to get up.  I am sure she didn't even think about how much I would love to call Jason and ask him the same thing.  People are insensative but don't know that they are although that letter was just plain stupid and your response was just plain being a MOM.
Rebecca Jason's Mom

Dottie (Tammie's Mom)

• Tammie (My Precious Daughter) 8-9-65/9-14-05
    • View Profile
    • Project Tammie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
Good for you. That was a stupid remark for anyone to make and to be published. I am glad you arote they should know how HURTFUL a remark like that can be.

Thinking of you,
Dottie Tammie's Mom :'(

Brenda Taylors Mom

• nospam
  • I miss you so much my "big tough guy"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.taylor-lewis.memory-of.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
(((( Dena)))) like you said if it could help one person to see..... the media loves to sensationalize and at the price of peoples feelings.. it's so wrong... your post makes me cry at the thought of such a heartless person .. and for them to publish it is an abhoration....
Love
Brenda

Jeanneb

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »
Dena,

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!  I know this had to be painful to read but I am so glad that you wrote back.

Love and hugs,
Jeanne

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
Now I have to hope that the local news has enough sense to publish what I wrote in response!

Love,
Dena, Josh's Mom

CRCmom

• nospam
  • My precious child.
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Memorial Website
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 06:30:50 PM »
Dena.

I applaud you!!!!!  We need to speak up more and keep people informed of how their words hurt and destroy.  Somehow this will turn out for good.

LOVE AND GRACE ON THE JOURNEY,
PAULA

Chy Scott's Mom

• Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:29:10 PM »
I'm so glad you did.  I read stupid stuff and do nothing but I can imagine there might be that one time when enough is enough!  Served a few purposes though, didn't it?  Get it off your chest, point out the tastelessness of a few peoples oppinions and why they should think before they speak and a little education as well!  Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

tysmama

• View Profile
    • Ty's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
Way to go Dena! That is the most insensitive thing I have read thus far. I am thankful everyday for the dive team that stayed until midnight and promised me the return of my child. Those men and women endure horrible conditions and almost always have to deliver the horrible news.

I applaud you and your stand and the people that do the wonderful work even knowing the outcome is not good.

Keeping you close,
Michelle
In Loving Memory "Boy Wonder"
Tylor Eugene Heath
April 3, 1992-May 21, 2006

Debh

• Forever Loved, Forever Missed, Never Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 07:34:28 AM »
I can't believe what was said yet I can.

Way to go Dena is all I can say and very sorry people can be so ignorant.

Love
Deb