Author Topic: Another Birthday! Another party here!  (Read 4481 times)

jo

• View Profile
Another Birthday! Another party here!
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:54:32 AM »
Each year, I come back to this place (although it's really changed since a year ago) to honor our son. He was born 32 years ago today, but never got to be older than 17. He died on the way to have his senior pictures taken, when the car he was driving and a propane truck collided on a blind country intersection.

So - because he loved parties - I come back here on his birthday to invite you all to a "board party." Here's what we'll do this year (and I sincerely apologize to those whose infants didn't have time to have favorites): Like the song, "My Favorite Things", list some of the favorite things of your child.

Here are Jay D's.  Star Trek, legos, acting, singing, dressing oddly, being quiet, being observant, friends, macaroni and cheese, being humorous, among many others.

He was always our "quiet" child. He could occupy himself for hours on end, even if his brother and sister were jabbering continuously.  I remember one time in the car, everybody except him was talking simultaneously. Suddenly, we all heard his quiet voice say, "There are 32 shades of green out there." Of course we all looked at him as though we'd been jolted.

Another time on a very long car trip when he was about 12, everybody wanted to stop to eat. I read a sign outloud that said, "Stuart, 21 miles." From the back of the car came his quiet voice: "Please don't say 'stew' to a hungry man."

He began gathering friends when he was only 3 years old. Anytime we went somewhere, there were always kids that would say, "Hi, Jay D." and come up to talk to him. I don't think he ever turned friendship down, nor do I believe he ever forgot any of his friends.

We all still miss him so much.

Jane

Johanna

• nospam
  • Micheal at Wonderland
    • View Profile
    • Micheal's Memorial Website
Re: Another Birthday! Another party here!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
Happy Birthday Jay D!

Thank you for the invitation to his birthday party Jo.  Here are some of my son Micheal's favourite things:

Meat loaf (go figure - he always said if he were offered a last meal, he would choose my meatloaf and mashed potatoes...), singing, horses, making people laugh, helping people, Nintendo 64/X Box, babies & children, and me.

We miss his sense of humour so much...

Love and hugs,
Johanna, Micheal's mom

Who, then, can so softly bind up the wound of another as he,
who has felt the same wound himself?
Thomas Jefferson

Marianne

• nospam
  • Alek's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
Happy Birthday to Jay D!  He sounds like a great kid!

Alek could eat chicken tenders and fries for every meal.  Once, he went out west with his Grandma and Grandpa - he ate Chicken Tenders and fries for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 10 days straight!  He loved to play the guitar, skate board, snow board.  When he was small, he just loved to play with his action "figgers".  I still have an entire box filled with them.  He was always careful with all of his things and loved to collect things - like blue birds of happiness, guitar picks, movie sets, beanie babies (he was saving over 50 of them for his kids)...

He is my favorite thing.  Then, Now and Always!
Marianne (Alek's Mom Forever)

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
Happy Heavenly Birthday Jay D!

Jane - thank you for inviting us to the party!

My nephew Christopher loved music, especially RAP / HIP HOP, he loved video games and movies, volleyball, baseball, hockey, football.. he loved family and friends.. his favorite meals were PBJ with chips in the sandwhich.. and pizza, bread sticks with sauce.. he didn't like cake so had a big cookie on his birthday.. Chris loved the Boston Red Sox and wrote a rap/rhyme about being their number 1 fan...

He also loved board games, darts and backgammon.. hanging out with friends and learning to drive. Chris especially loved American History and wanted to be an 8th grade history teacher some day. He would have been great.. such a great smile and charisma..

luv and hugs,
Karen
proud aunt of Christopher

Maureen, Traci's Mom

• me and Traci at her Graduation party
    • View Profile
    • Traci's memory of page
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Happy Birthday to Jay D!

My daughter Traci loved to dance!  We both loved the movie Grease.  She loved little kids and wanted to be an elementary teacher.  She was in a performing baton group for many years and loved to be in front of an audience.  She loved to have fun and had many friends.  Traci loved chicken fried steak, and strawberries.

Thanks for letting me share a little bit of my daughter Traci.

Hugs,

Maureen, Traci's Mom

Traci's Graduation picture 2004

CRCmom

• nospam
  • My precious child.
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Memorial Website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 04:45:43 AM »
Happy Birthday Jay D. 

Thanks for the invitation to his party.  I hope all our kids are celebrating with him in heaven. 

My son Christian was almost 16 when he died.  He loved to laugh, play Dark Age of Camelot (on the computer) especially with his brothers, he loved to go out to eat, play golf with his cousin Mac.  One time the two of them were at there grandmas and they ran a golf cart into the mud by accident, they ran back to her house only to find that she had left the stove on with a wooden spoon in a pan so they felt like heros stopping a fire.  He loved his dogs, his family, his friends.  He was a gentle soul and very kind to others. 

Christian you are definitely one of my FAVORITE things.  I miss you so much.
LOVE AND GRACE ON THE JOURNEY,
PAULA

Donnys Dad

• nospam
  • Donny At Football Hall of Fame, Another Great Trip
    • View Profile
    • Donny's Memorial Website
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:17:54 AM »
Happy Birthday Jay D and Jo I am so glad you have those happy memories.

Donny loved working, we always called him the Energizer Bunny.  Was a walking Sports Encyclopedia and loved to take me on trips to football games and NASCAR races.  When he was about 9 he stepped on a pencil and we had to take him to the Emergency Room.  The Doctor asked him what was his favorite food.  To my wife's dimay he said, "Spaghettio's".  He brought us so much laughter for 30 short years.
I Miss You So Much Buddy, My Best Friend, My Tiger

Don, Donny's Proud Dad

SueH

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »
Happy Birthday Jay D!!!!

Sue *Sara's* Mom
"yep yep yep"