Author Topic: Update  (Read 5543 times)

MelissaCharliesMom

• View Profile
Update
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
I should probably update everyone as to whats been happening since I left. We are still going through court proceedings. The DMV hearing for the man who killed my son was held in Nov. one day before what would have been Charlies 13 Birthday. We all went wearing pictures of him around our necks my family and friends...all of us. The man wouldnt even look at us. He had no one there with him except his brother. There were a few tense moments when we (myself, my mom and my brother in law) basically had to restrain my husband for fear he was going to get his hands on the guy. Other then that it was over within an hour. We were told we would have a decision regarding suspension of this mans license within 90 days (its been almost 3 years now so whats another 90 days I guess is how the sourt looks at it) Anyway I spoke with the judge who presided over the hearing 2 weeks ago and he assured me we would have his decision by the end of this month. Still havent heard!
The civil suuit is finally moving forward there is a pretrial hearing scheduled for Feb 20 and my lawyer will come away with either a settlement offer or a trial date.
This entire thing has taken so incredibly long and I am just trying to hold myself together to get through the entire court battle. I am disgusted by the system, the State of NY pretty much everything.
Anyway thats what has been happening..boy have I missed you all.

Johanna

• nospam
  • Micheal at Wonderland
    • View Profile
    • Micheal's Memorial Website
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
Although I am pleased for you that things are moving, I am sorry they are moving so slowly.  What is there for a judge to decide really?  It appears as plain as the nose on my face!

I wish you the best of luck with your civil suit.  I didn't have the energy to sue the company responsible for Micheal's death.  The board of Labour has laid 2 charges (which in essence means they are guilty), but I just don't know if I can take the pressure of a lawsuit...

I truly hope it all works in your favour, and that the trial judge hurries up - and makes the right decision.

Love and hugs,
Johanna, Micheal's mom

Who, then, can so softly bind up the wound of another as he,
who has felt the same wound himself?
Thomas Jefferson

Dottie (Tammie's Mom)

• Tammie (My Precious Daughter) 8-9-65/9-14-05
    • View Profile
    • Project Tammie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:34 AM »
Sorry it is taking so long for the SYSTEN to work It is so emotionally draining.

I agree the SYSTEM in moast states SUCKS.

Dottie Tammie's Mom

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »
Melissa

So sorry things are moving so slowly and that you are going through all of this. Yes, as we have learned, it takes fighting for our loved ones rights to get anything done in NYS. You had a petition going a while ago didn't you? What ever happened with that?

Thinking of you and Charlie,
Karen

proud aunt of Christopher

MelissaCharliesMom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
Hi Karen! The petition continues. We have sent copies to Charles Winners office and have also forwarded a copy on to the Governors Office. Our attorney has been in contact with the State Assembly and we hope to go to Albany for a presentation sometime in March or April.Hope all is going well with you and yours!

shelly Tristans mom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:34 AM »
Thanks for the update Melissa.  I have wondered how things were going with you and your family.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for you and your loved ones in this horrible situation.

I too am almost always dissappointed in how our legal system works.  Sometimes it does work and people are most always surprised at that outcome.

The laws are created to protect the criminals..  Who is protecting the victims?????

Sorry,  I am not in a very good mood today.

Know that you, Charlie and the rest of your family are in my prayers today.

(((((((Hugs))))))))))
Shelly, Tristan's Mom
Shelly, Tristan's Mom

CRCmom

• nospam
  • My precious child.
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Memorial Website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »
This must be all so difficult for you!!!  I would imagine you just want it to be over.  I'm sorry you have to do all this.

Hugs
LOVE AND GRACE ON THE JOURNEY,
PAULA

Donnys Dad

• nospam
  • Donny At Football Hall of Fame, Another Great Trip
    • View Profile
    • Donny's Memorial Website
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
Melissa so sorry you have to go thru all this.  Our justice system in this country is such a mess, written by and for the lawyers.  As a retired Chief of Police I know how frustrating this can be.

I must also give your husband credit for being able to restrain himself, not so sure I could
I Miss You So Much Buddy, My Best Friend, My Tiger

Don, Donny's Proud Dad

Debh

• Forever Loved, Forever Missed, Never Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
Melissa sorry you have to go through this and which I could be positive about the justice system but I can't.

This is all so hard and difficult, I will be thinking of you.

Love
Deb

Debh

• Forever Loved, Forever Missed, Never Forgotten
    • View Profile
Don
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
Don I didn't realize you were Chief of Police, my grandfather was Chief of Police for years and then my uncle took his place, things have changed so much since then, in so many ways I wish our justice system would return to how it was 25 years ago, it wasn't so easy to break the law and get away with it back then and we didn't have so many attorneys after money and not justice. I bet you were a great Chief of Police like my grandpa and uncle, sure felt safe then, couldn't get away from anything either just becaue they were family.

Wish so many things were different today. Too many wrongs and our kids and us parents have to live or die with them. Well I could go on here but won't it won't change a darn thing today will it.

Love
Deb