Author Topic: Good Grief by Lolly Winston FICTION, SPOUSE LOSS  (Read 8483 times)

Donna

• View Profile
Good Grief by Lolly Winston FICTION, SPOUSE LOSS
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:23:44 PM »

Click here to purchase "Good Grief" at Amazon.com [nofollow]

WARNING:  This is a fiction book, probably better for those further along in their grief journey.  Humorous at times, it will make you remember some of the really bad moments when you said or did things in your grief, but you are able to actually laugh at yourself now.  I have not lost a spouse, but a child, however could partially identify with the feelings and stories portrayed because they were grief related.  Some of us may have actually showed up for work in pink bunny slippers or similiar attire because we didn't care anymore. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:30:03 AM by Tom »

Lonnie

Re: Good Grief by Lolly Winston FICTION, SPOUSE LOSS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:02:56 AM »
Hi Donna: After reading your review, I went to Amazon.com and read some excerpts from the book. You are right, she has a wonderful way of expressing herself. She says what we've all been thinking in a slightly sarcastic, humorous, but loveable way! Anyone who is grieving can relate to her frame of mind.  I liked the excerpt so much that I ordered the book. I was really sad when the preview chapter ended. I'll post more after reading it. Thanks for the recommendation! Lonnie

Lonnie

Re: Good Grief by Lolly Winston FICTION, SPOUSE LOSS
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:43:18 PM »
Well, I finished this book, and I hated to put it down when it was done. (It felt like I was losing the friends I made.) Such wonderful characters!!!! At times I laughed out loud-a lot! I was on a plane reading a chapter, and I laughed so loud that my husband wanted to know what it was about. I found myself reading passages from the book to my mother and him. At other times, the tears welled up in my eyes, relating to the overwhelming pain of loss. I liked the first half of the book more than the second.  The first part dealt with the raw emotions of grief, and how it incapacitates you. The next half was about moving on and dealing with issues like a mother-in-law's Alzheimers, a troubled teen, a new career venture, and a new love interest. But it didn't "candy coat" any of it. This is apparently this author's first book. I can't wait to get her next one. She put into words the feelings we've all experienced, or watched a loved one go through after a loss. This is a book that will touch your heart!