Author Topic: Gina's Birthday  (Read 61 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Gina's Birthday
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Happy Heavenly Birthday, Gina!

Mark,

I hope your day was filled with wonderful memories of your precious Gina.

Hugs and love to you,
Terry
"One thing I've learned on this journey (it's been a year and a few days since my husband, Tom, died of cancer), is that in the beginning, there is a lot of the one-step-forward-two-steps-back shuffle." - RobinBlue - Spouse Loss

JustMark

• View Profile
Re: Gina's Birthday
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
Thank you Terry. yesterday I did have a pleasant surprise in that it called to mind one of her most memorable birthdays for me. I remembered her other birthdays and there was one birthday after I was diagnosed with my back and hip that I closed my construction company and money was non existent for us. It was her very first birthday I celebrated with her on September 12th 2007 and my fledgling construction company was starting to take off and 5 men working for me. . We were rehabbing house in Baltimore and It was a very happy occasion.  Gina liked helping with some of the construction that wasn't too physically demanding like painting, drywall taping and spackling. I acted like I didn't know or had forgotten her birthday. We were on our way out to the job sight. I was driving the truck and she was driving the car as she would occasionally pick up two of the guys as they were a one car family and their wives would need to use their car. I told her I had to leave the house a little early to hit the hardware store on the way out to the jobsite to pick more joint compound and drywall. One of the guys would drive to the house in the morning to help with load up of tools and equipment and ride with me to the site. Anyway I actually raced to the closest grocer to pick up a cake, candles, sodas I also hit the dunkin donuts to make sure I took out some fresh coffee for everyone so I picked up one of their boxes of joe and a container of dunkin munchkins and high tailed it to the heart of Baltimore. I also hit a local eatery around the corner from the jobsite and made arrangements for lunch for everyone to be dropped off around noon. Anyway we got to the jobsite and the cooler was a two man carry so Xavier, the guy with me and I stuck the cooler in the house real fast and threw the sodas in it with ice. and we started setting up for a small party and got every thing I bought inside and left most of the tools and equipment on the truck like we were still doing our normal unloading waiting for the guys to show up. Gina got there earlier then I expected so the two that road in with her and the others that pulled up began unloading the equipment like normal. I started talking to Gina off to the side about a billing issue I encountered at the hardware store that morning so she couldn't see the guys quickly finishing up the set up of things and keeping balloons out of sight. About 5 minutes passed and guys were finished and Gina was by the truck facing the street with her back towards the house. I was facing the house when Gina and I were talking and two of the guys quietly sneaked  into the bed of the truck with buckets of confetti.  The guys were standing with the buckets and I still had Gina's undivided attention. I leaned over like one of the guys were motioning to get my attention to get started on the work for the day. I lifted my left hand and pointed a finger up like I was signaling to give me one minute. I looked at Gina and said wait let me get the guys going and we can pick the conversation back up and started walking towards the house and as soon as Gina turned around it was confetti all over the place and most of it on Gina. Two of the guys had those aerosol horns blasting and they had also quickly put a homemade "Happy Birthday Gina" sign over the door of the house. She had such a surprised look on her face as she went into the half gutted house she saw the balloons and cake with candles and we all sang happy birthday. She couldn't believe I pulled of the surprise and we really didn't get much done that day so we knocked off after lunch. It was a good hard working crew and they deserved a break anyway. The funniest part is after things settled down somewhat before lunch and everyone was sitting around talking. We all got a very good laugh with Gina. I was so convincing when I discussed the billing issue earlier I had to explain to her there really wasn't a billing issue I just used it to stall for time so the guys could finish setting up as Gina wanted to finish discussing it.   

Lacemaker

• View Profile
Re: Gina's Birthday
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »
JustMark, Been thinking a lot about you lately knowing you are facing difficult days. Am so glad the Lord brought that special birthday of Gina's to remember. Those memories help us to make it through those days that we think are going to be unbearable. Just know I'm here to listen if you need a listening ear in the days and weeks to come.