Author Topic: Baseball...  (Read 787 times)

Doug1222

• nospam
  • Keep on keeping on.
    • View Profile
Baseball...
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
Hi, everybody! I haven't been around a whole bunch because I'm actually doing pretty good. I was just sitting here a little sad and thought of you.

The end of baseball season always makes me sad. My brother was the biggest St. Louis Cardinal fan in the entire world. He was such a huge fan that a group of his friends (and teammates) came by his visitation just to put a signed baseball in his casket. That was one of the points that made my mom break down and cry. One of his best friends came by and asked her,"Is it ok if we put this in with Meat? We don't want him going away without it."

They called him "Meat".

She told him,"Make sure you guys sign the book." He said,"That's ok...he knows we were here."

Anyway, with the season winding down and the Cardinals fighting for a playoff spot, I got sad. I'm sitting here with a tear in my eye as I write this.

Baseball always makes me sad. My brother's birthday is in a couple weeks. On top of baseball, that makes this the saddest time of the year for me. He was 22 when he was killed. He would've been 44 this year. That means he's been gone longer than he was here.

Wow.
 :love9:

There's a song by Cole Swindell (a country singer) that might be helpful to some people. It's helping me today just by bringing out emotions I buried. Here's a snippet.

"You should be here, standing with your arm around me here.
Cutting up, cracking a cold beer, saying cheers, hey y'all it's sure been a good year.
It's one of those moments, that's got your name written all over it.
And you know that if I had just one wish it'd be that you didn't have to miss this
You should be here."
~~Cole Swindell

Everybody take care. Now I can smile.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:39:12 PM by Doug1222 »

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »

Thanks for sharing that awesome and heartfelt baseball story with us. The memories sure do come to the surface around their special dates. Steven was blessed to have you for his brother. I read the love in your words every time you share of him.

I'll be thinking of your precious brother, Steven Craig the 15th of October.

Sending you a big hug and my love,

((((((((Doug))))))))

Terry
"One thing I've learned on this journey (it's been a year and a few days since my husband, Tom, died of cancer), is that in the beginning, there is a lot of the one-step-forward-two-steps-back shuffle." - RobinBlue - Spouse Loss

Doug1222

• nospam
  • Keep on keeping on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
Thanks, Terry.
 :love4:

ScottW

• nospam
  • This is a picture of my sister, Jori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
Hey Doug.  Great story, thanks for sharing.  How do you think your brother feels about my Cubbies winning it all?!

:)

Take care, my man.  Glad to hear that you are feeling well (I know that it's all relative).

Doug1222

• nospam
  • Keep on keeping on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
I'm sure he's waiting for opening day to make another run at it.

Go Cards!
 :laughing6:
Thanks for saying hi.