Author Topic: Drug overdose  (Read 747 times)

rl000711

• View Profile
Drug overdose
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
My brother, 27, recently OD'd and the doctors have said he has an anoxic brain injury (lack of oxygen to the brain) so many of his brain cells have died and brain tissue does not regenerate... The doctors don't think he'll ever wake up because the damage is too severe and we're going to be transferring him to hospice care in a few days and wait for him to go... My mind is blown because only a few days before this happened, I had a dream about him dying and it felt so real. I woke up and still felt the feelings from it and it was on my mind for a few days after..
I'm 22 and I'm struggling with being OK with this.. Sometimes I am able to think about the positives (he can go to Heaven now and be away from drug abuse) but then I think about how young he is and how he was such a good guy..it's really unfair, he deserves so many more years..
He is my full brother and we were pretty close growing up. We lived on a dead end road out in the country so it was always just me, him and our two cousins so we all would always play games together and I have so many amazing memories of him.. I always told people he was the funniest guy I've EVER known.. I'm just not sure if I'll ever be able to go back to my normal routine without all the thoughts of how much he deserves to be living life which just make me sad for having a life.. I don't know.
Anyway, this is my first post so I apologize for the rambling I'm still trying to process everything that's going on.. I would really appreciate any words of wisdom on moving on with life.
Thank you.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Drug overdose
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »

rl0007,

I'm sorry to read about your brother. It's difficult at any age to come to grips with such a tragic event as your brother's.
I don't think we're ever OK with any part of it as we struggle with so many different emotions when grieving and even before.

Do you have support within your immediate family? Especially with him being in Hospice. It's been a couple of weeks since your post and I'm not aware of your present situation.

Welcome to Webhealing. I'm here for you if you want to share more about your brother and again, I'm so sorry.
"One thing I've learned on this journey (it's been a year and a few days since my husband, Tom, died of cancer), is that in the beginning, there is a lot of the one-step-forward-two-steps-back shuffle." - RobinBlue - Spouse Loss