Author Topic: Daughter and grandkids moved away. ..so very sad  (Read 6704 times)

scooter1960

• View Profile
Daughter and grandkids moved away. ..so very sad
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
I am hoping to get some advice or just support.My daughter and 2 granddaughters moved 6 hours away and is breaking my heart. I am extremely close to my daughter and granddaughters.I have 2 sons with kids that still live near me and am greatful for that but I have been very close with my daughter and her kids.I babysat them while she worked and was always involved with helping out they were a huge part of my life and now I feel so empty as if there's been a death. They moved 3 months ago and I have visited them once and they've visited me once but every time we say goodbye it's like they just moved and hurts so deeply.They are moving back next summer but for now my life feels so sad. I'm so used to them being a part of my everyday life and now they aren't here and it feels so empty. My mother said that I'm going through a loss and that I'm grieving for that loss and boy is she right. My daughter can't wait to move back cuz this is her home and all her friends and most of her family is here so the fact that she's coming back helps but I miss them so. She moved to be with her boyfriend who is a super person and he's looking for a job in his profession near here.I just feel lost without them. My husband is very supportive but men seem to just go with the flow. I've always been a stay at home mom and the one who is always the babysitter and there for them when they need someone to pick up the kids from school or whatever is needed for their kids while they are at work or whatever and my kids are always greatful and show great respect for me and that's been a huge role in my life and I love it. My daughter and I have grown to be not just mom and daughter but best friends is how she puts it and her 2 daughters and I are very close so it's been a loss on both sides. I try to stay busy but there's still a void,it gets easier some days and others it's just very hard.

scooter1960

• View Profile
Re: Daughter and grandkids moved away. ..so very sad
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
Please overlook the spelling of "greatful" it's my phones auto check and it seems to need an auto check. .lol

suecoo66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
My only daughter and child moved to Turkey over 2 yrs ago and I'm heartbroken. It doesn't help we live over an hour away from everyone so I don't have the option to pop in on someone when I would like to.
It's so hard.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

Hi Scooter,

Welcome to Webhealing.

I've personally never experienced the empty nest that you write about. I have three children but they are now in heaven. I do, however have friends who have gone through a difficult time when their kids went off to college or moved far from them. They keep in touch through Skype as often as they can and that really helps. You'll have to find what works for you and your family.

Let us know how you're doing and share what has worked for you. It helps others, too!

Hugs,
Terry

Veronica1992

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:17 AM »
When the time passes, you will feel better. You just need to get used to it. In addition, you will see your daughter and grandchildren. Think about how it will be nice to get together for the holidays, share news and pleasant events. Do not be sad :)

cecilmeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
Please overlook the spelling of "greatful" it's my phones auto check and it seems to need an auto check. .lol
Hello. Are you doing any better? My wife and I are in the same situation