Author Topic: Ambien-related suicide  (Read 1227 times)

LaurieO

• View Profile
Ambien-related suicide
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
My brilliant husband, with no history of psychiatric problems, started taking Ambien on 10/31/14 for routine sleep problems and drowned himself in our swimming pool on 11/21/14. There was no note, no hint, no nothing. I had gone to work that morning and left him with a to-do list, which my then-16-year-old son and I found on the counter with many of the items ticked off. He must have had a psychotic episode - I have no other way of understanding this. He was a rock - the go-to person. And now he's dead. I'm bereft, financially stressed, and about to add "empty-nester" to my "widow" category, as my son heads off to college. There's so much more... I was a murder suspect, I'm having trouble selling our house because it's "the dead house" .... I am a strong woman, but I am so tested and my dear son has no way of understanding what I'm going through.

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Ambien-related suicide
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

Hi Laurie,

I'm so sorry to read of your husband's death. I can't understand why Ambien is still on the market. Between the hundreds of thousands of lawsuits on Sanofi-Aventis to court cases with the over-use of the *Ambien Defense* it's amazing that they still have enough money to continue to supply this product which is the number one sleep aid, or used to be.

My Dad was taking it for a couple of weeks (and this was long before his Alzheimer's Disease was diagnosed and he has since died) I got a call from the guard house around 3 AM telling me that my Dad was trying to leave the property and he didn't recognize the guard (which he knew for years) and the guard stated that he thought my Dad was sleeping. I ran up there to get him and sure enough, Dad was out of it. When he awoke in the morning we talked about his attempt to flee and he had absolutely no memory of it. Needless to say, Dad never took another Ambien.
Everyone that I know that has taken it has had terrible side affects; the main side effect being memory loss.

I am so sorry you and your son are having to live without your husband and his father. How has your son been doing?

There have been many reports of psychotic episodes while taking Ambien and like I shared earlier, I can't imagine how this drug is still on the market. I know of at least 10 people who have taken it over the years with awful incidents occurring. Now, I'm just one person. The unknown percentages have to be staggering.

Post on the Spouse Loss board if you would like to share about your husband and how you're doing. This board hasn't been active for a long time. And the members over on Spouse Loss are very supportive.

How are things going with the house? Update as you have information. The police always look at the spouse or significant other first because it's usually who has committed the crime. It sounds awful but it's true. It's hard not to take it personal since it's happening to you personally. I understand that. I was in a similar situation so I understand being and feeling attacked. You sure have been through a lot.

Sending lots of hugs your way.

(((((((LaurieO))))))) :love9:

Love,
Terry
"I'm thankful I have my writing to turn to.  And reading and my pets.  It is at times like these, I remind myself to think of gratitude and things I am thankful for." -Wally (Wally49er/Spouse Loss)

susanlistens

• View Profile
Re: Ambien-related suicide
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
I am so sorry about your loss.  My son's father took his own life this year.  He did not leave a will or a trust so that my son could inherit his house so it had to go into probate.  I had been divorced for over 15 years but I grieve just as much for the love of my son and what he is going through right now.

There is so much to be said but I wanted to respond to the selling of the house.

At the start of the sale, the suicide stigma affected the results because there were no offers except for a couple of low-ball offers from investors.  We understood that investors will always make a low offer so we decided that our ideal buyer would be a family that a)  loved the house  b)  was not affected by the suicide stigma at all

One thing we also understood was to be up front about the suicide and not try to hide it or be ashamed of it.  We realized that some people would not want to deal with it at all, while some people would be curious, and some people would not be affected at all because they see value in the house.

However, we knew that all we needed was one good buyer.  We accepted the fact that the suicide was going to affect the selling price of the home.  Something we learned after a month of selling.

It took us two months to sell the house.  We started at 580K... then dropped it to 560K... and then at 540K we had a full price offer with a 20% down payment.  Escrow closed about two weeks ago.

I, of course, get nothing from the proceeds of the sale but I am happy that my son has money for college which is what his father wanted. 

I started a blog (ihearyou.life) to tell our story in the hopes that others might find value from it.