Author Topic: Hi Everyone!  (Read 2814 times)

Dena

• nospam
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone!
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
Hi everyone!  It saddens me to see so many new names here.  I haven't been on in a while as my life has been filled with changes lately. I changed jobs and I now work in a factory.  I also decided that my weight was slowly doing me in, so I joined Weight Watchers and dropped 98 lbs in a year (yes, I feel much better and still have a little way to go), and I just registered to return to college (my employer pays towards it) to finish up my Bachelors degree and prepare for a Masters in Social Work. I was actively in college at the time Josh died, going for a degree in Psychology.  When he died, I said to myself "If I can't help myself  - how would I be able to help others?" So I dropped out. know that one day, I would return and finish what I had started.  My desire to to be able to help families who have lost a child and I know Josh would be my biggest supporter in that.  Ironically, I am doing my degree online this time with the help of a professor/mentor.  It turns out he was a grief therapist for Hospice AND when I mentioned Tom's name to him, his eyes lit right up and he named his books and said he is fantastic! So I let him know that I used to Admin this site and found that talking and posting here was very helpful. I signed up for Child Development first, knowing that eventually, I will face Death and Dying and Grief courses.  It concerns me a bit, but I know I will get through them and hopefully, I will be in a position to tell a grieving parent one day "I know what you are going through - I too, have lost a child".  That is the one thing I noticed quickly about our crisis counselor.  She had no idea of what we were feeling because she had never experienced that loss. 

If there is one thing I can say to all of the new parents here, it would be to take time for YOU.  Your grief is unique and will require every ounce of you.  Walk slowly and don't let anyone give you a timeline. In time, your grief will "soften". This is a new journey you are on and there are no maps to guide you.  Lean on each other and know that you are never alone.  On August 7th of this year, it will be 16 years since I last heard my son's voice or his laughter, yet in my heart, I hear him everyday.

Much love to all of you,
Dena, Josh's Mom

blindsided

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
Hey Dena,

It is good to hear from you…  Hope all is well with the family and so proud of you on your weight loss and pursuing your dreams.  I still stop by now and again.  It is hard to believe we have been on this journey for so long and you were such a rock and help in my early years.  Coming up on 12 years July 21.

Take care and sending you a big hug,
Jeanne
Philip's mom forever

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

Hi Dena,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. Lots of positive changes! :icon_flower:

I always think of your precious Josh and can still see his beautiful smile. :love9:

It's always nice to hear from you!

Love,
Terry

Adams Brokenhearted Mama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
It was very good to read your post Dena.
Kudos to you for all of your efforts and positive changes.
I remember when it was Josh's 10 year heavenly anniversary and now it's your 16th ...where did the time go? My Adam's will be 9 years this September.
Still a struggle to accept and to live without him.
XO Paula
XO Love to all my sisters & brothers-in-grief XO
Wishing you all peaceful moments, signs from your Angels & many blessings