Author Topic: Holiday Tips/Ideas/Articles  (Read 18096 times)

MyLou

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Tips/Ideas/Articles
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
((((((((((( Terry )))))))))))))))

You don't need to thank me I know you hold a lot of pain like us.

Yes, I would love to share but it looks difficult to upload your pictures to the website. 

I wrote Lou a Christmas Card last year and of course read it to him.  I carry a copy in my wallet.  I went to the cemetery to put a wreath down too.

This year I am def going to do the candles, card, wreath and flowers. 

I  can't believe this is the 2nd Christmas without him.

I don't know when my tears will get softer. It hurts so bad.

Always,

Lisa
"Soulmates Forever"

I miss you every second of everyday My Love

I know I will see you again

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »

Hi Lisa,

Have you ever read the board "Tutorials" and How-To's for every part of the board? I'm posting the section on pictures for you. It is so easy. Open an account at Photobucket which just takes a minute. Upload your pictures on there. At the top where all of the icons are under B for bold and I for italics and so on is a blue globe. Click in that and it will show two urls side by side and your photo info will be pasted right in the middle of the two.
Now, when you get the code for your picture and you'll have three to choose from on Photoobucket, just place the address it lists in between the two urls, like so and choose the IMAGE CODE: [url=http://picturesfromlisasalbumphotobucket]]picturesfromlisasalbumphotobucket]

Now, when you get the code for your picture and you'll have three to choose from on Photoobucket, just place the address it lists in between the two urls, like so and choose the IMAGE CODE: picturesfromlisasalbumphotobucket and that's it!

Here is the link for posting pictures. I just copied and pasted the section you need to post a picture (the first one that is in BOLD type) but do look over the Tutorials when you get a chance.
http://webhealing.com/forums/index.php/topic,6963.0.html

The card sounds nice, Lisa. Time does go by and we're left in disbelief at how they can be gone that long. I 'do' understand. It will become bearable one day. I promise. I can't promise that the pain goes away but the intense and overwhelming pain does become bearable. We learn to live with it as it is the result of a great love that was taken from us. It is the price of that love.

Hugs and Love,
Terry

HOW TO ADD A PICTURE

How to apply pictures that automatically appear as your signature on each post:

On the toolbar click on  tab   to open your profile.
Click on the Forum Profile Information that is located on the left off your profile.
You will find the area to post your URL here on the bottom under Signature.
You need to upload your picture to a hosting site first, like www.photobucket.com
Pictures saved on your computer will not work here.

Getting Photo’s to post off Photobucket:
•   First, go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for an account (it’s free).
•   Pick where your photo is FROM on the far right. (Choose: my computer)
•   Click on UPLOAD or Choose Files button and your files will appear.
•   Find your picture click on it then click ‘Open’.
•   You will see your photo now on photobucket page.
•   Double click on the photo and the codes will appear.  Copy the URL that is the IMG code.
•   You need to now go back to your profile    then to Forum Profile Information.
•   At the bottom where it says Signature:  paste the IMG code there.  You can still paste the URL in the box even if you have a poem or saying in there.
•   Click on the Change profile button.
•   You should now have a picture at the bottom of your post.
•   The picture should appear on the bottom of your signature area when you open your profile    now.

Getting Photo’s to post off of the internet:

Go to the website where the picture is.
Right click on the picture and choose ‘properties’.
A pop up will appear and copy the Location address.
•   You need to now go back to your profile    then to Forum Profile Information.
•   At the bottom where it says Signature:  paste the URL there.  You can still paste the URL in the box even if you have a poem or saying in there.
•   Add the bbCode around the address which is
Code:
at the end)
Should look similar to:
Code:

•   Click on the Change profile button.
•   You should now have a picture at the bottom of your post.
•   The picture should appear on the bottom of your signature area when you open your profile   now.

How to apply pictures only once on a specific post from my personal saved files as a signature:
You do not need a URL for this one time post.  You may access your pictures out of your personal photo’s saved in your computer.
After you write your post, before you send it, go to the bottom left and look for Additional Options.
Click on that and you will see Attach.  On the right is the Browse button,  and go to your file.  
Click on your picture that is in your file in that ‘Upload box’ pop up.
Click on ‘Open’ and you will now see the passage way typed in that area.
Now hit SAVE and your picture should be there.
The picture will appear in the signature area where one can click on the .jpg link to view it.

How to apply pictures only once on a specific post in the body of my post:
You will need an URL for this type of picture.
When you have opened a window to post, you may insert a picture anywhere within your message.  When you are ready to insert your picture:
Click on 2nd window on the tool bar just above the ‘similes’ (It looks like a picture in a white frame).  You will then see this appear:  
Code:

You paste your URL in the center of it to look similar to:  
Code:

Once you are done with the post, click on PREVIEW before sending to make sure your code does not have spaces in address.  If your picture appears, it is ok to send

How to apply a picture in an email to another member:
You will need an URL for this type of picture.
When you have the New Message window open, you may insert a picture anywhere within your message.  When you are ready to insert your picture:
Click on 2nd window on the tool bar just above the ‘similes’ (It looks like a picture in a white frame).  You will then see this appear  
Code:

You paste your URL in the center of it should look similar to:
Code:

Once you are done with the email, click on PREVIEW before sending to make sure your code does not have spaces in address.  If your picture appears, it is ok to send.

How to apply a picture under your Username:
You will need to enter your profile  under Forum Profile Information you have Personalized Picture.
Click on I have my own: and add your URL.
Click on Change profile button on bottom.

FAQ regarding Photo Posting:

Q. What is a URL?
A.  It is the actual web address for the photo.  It looks like http://www.yoururl.com/mypicture.jpg
It starts with the http:// and ends with a .jpg when it is a picture.

Q. How do I copy the URL off of the website?
A. Go to the website where the picture is.
Right click on the picture and choose ‘properties’.
A pop up will appear and copy the Location address.

Q. I finally got the pictures to post but every time I do they are GIGANTIC.  How do I make them smaller?
A.  They need to be resized using a photo editing software program prior to posting.

Q.  Can I have more than one picture in the signature area?
A.  Yes.  Try to post the pictures that are resized smaller and keep the larger one for your personal file.

Q.  I changed the photo in my signature area and the picture now doesn't show up in the signature box anymore, just a link.  What did I do wrong?
A.  Make sure your link that you pasted in has the whole web address. Use the codes examples shown earlier.

Q.  I have problems with trying to attach a picture with my replies. Most of the time the message I get is that my file is too large (even though it is less than the stated 128kb), Often I get the message "your upload folder is full, contact administrator." Would you be able to help me with this? I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
A.  Just send Tom and email, he will be able to look into if it is a software glitch.

Q.  I pasted the URL but still don't see a picture.  What is wrong?
A.  Make sure it is posted in the Signature area not the web URL area.  See if you have the
Code:

around your address with no spaces in the whole address.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:17:35 AM by Terry »
"I'm thankful I have my writing to turn to.  And reading and my pets.  It is at times like these, I remind myself to think of gratitude and things I am thankful for." -Wally (Wally49er/Spouse Loss)

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
Tips for Surviving Grief & the Holidays

Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and other seasonal holidays are stressful for nearly everyone. But they can be particularly difficult if you’re grieving the death of a loved one.

The pain, sadness and loneliness that often follow the loss of a friend, family member or animal companion can feel unbearable when everyone around you is celebrating. This is especially true if it’s the first holiday without the loved one.

Grieving in general is a struggle but during the holidays, when our emotions are already on high alert, trying to figure out what to do can be very confusing, especially if you are trying to keep everything as it was before the person died. Traditional tasks such as cooking, tree decorating, gift-buying and entertaining can add to the intensity of one’s grief, too.

Grief is a normal human reaction to the loss of someone important in our lives. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. Every person grieves in their own way and at their own pace. Grief can affect people physically, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually.

Most importantly: No one needs to grieve alone!

Be mindful of the energy that grieving and the holidays take. Both are hard work and exhausting. You can take care of yourself by spending your energy wisely, getting enough rest, and being careful not to overbook yourself with activities.  
    If certain family traditions—such as carving the turkey or leading the family in song—make you uncomfortable this year, don’t do them. You can always pick them up later.
    When you are grieving, your memory may not be up to par, or you may be having trouble concentrating. That’s normal. For holiday tasks such as cooking, shopping, cleaning and organizing, make lists and rely on them.  
    To avoid the stress of shopping, buy gift cards for everyone this year, or shop from catalogs or Internet sites. If mail order gifts cost more than you would normally spend, consider the difference a gift to yourself to preserve peace of mind.
    If your loss was an animal companion, ignore potential comments such as, “Get over it already! Enjoy yourself? It was just an animal.” Some people have never experienced a close bond with a pet and are unable to understand what you’re going through. Thank the person for their concern, and continue to grieve in your own way.  Seek out family members or friends who understand the pain of your loss.
    Pay attention to yourself. Listen when that little voice tells you that you’re tired and need to take a break from holiday preparation.

If you are feeling pressured to participate in more than you’re comfortable with, try saying “No thank you.” You don’t owe anyone an explanation. Be kind, but firm. Do what feels right to you.

If you are up for taking part in festivities, enjoy them in moderation and to your comfort level. Let the host know ahead of time that it’s hard for you to be around cheerful people right now, that you may need to leave early or cry unexpectedly.

If you are grieving too deeply and celebrating is not an option, remember the 3Cs: choice, communication and compromise. Give yourself permission to choose what specific things you want to do, and who you want to be with. Communicate your thoughts and feelings about those choices with loved ones, especially those also affected by the loss. Finally, be open to compromising with family and friends on all issues.  

Instead of trying to push back memories of the person you are grieving this holiday, ask friends and family members to share recollections with you in photographs, stories and mementos.

Find ways to include the loved one in your celebrations.

Some examples:

1) Nightly, light a holiday-scented memorial candle near a framed photo or photo collage. The symbol of light in darkness reminds us that there is hope.

2)  Put a place setting at the dinner table where the loved one always sat. Putting a single flower on the plate and leaving an empty glass will signify presence of spirit.

3) Make a special ornament or decoration that includes a memento or photo of your loved one. If children are grieving too, have them create artwork to display.

4) When alone in a safe place, relax with holiday tea or other favorite beverage, and talk out loud to your loved one, expressing your innermost thoughts and feelings. When finished, offer a prayer or a toast.  

Above all, trust that you will make it through the holidays this year. Even with the differences, you will find the experience bittersweet. Trust that while the season will be tinged with many emotions, you will be able to celebrate more fully in the future.  

There also are ways to help someone else who is grieving. Holidays are about love, and there’s no better way to show your love at this time than to just be there for the friend or family member on their terms; let them grieve in their own way and on their own time.

You can help by encouraging them to talk about their grief and share memories of the loved one who died. Also, refer to their loved one by name; it’s comforting to the grieving individual to hear. Listen to their story. Hold their hand. Sit with them as they cry. Offer help with holiday chores or daily activities. Respect their decision to not attend celebrations, and their need to be alone. Be supportive, and encourage them to find support outside of their social circle.

Written by: Marilyn Chapla

"I'm thankful I have my writing to turn to.  And reading and my pets.  It is at times like these, I remind myself to think of gratitude and things I am thankful for." -Wally (Wally49er/Spouse Loss)

Autumn Leaves

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I really like the idea of the grief letter to family members so you don't have to verbalize your feelings if you are unable to do so. I think family members experience grief memories differently because they weren't such an intimate part of the relationship, the pairing of two souls. Life is no longer and can never again be what it was. I've lost my mother, grandmother, sibling but it was so much different when I lost my husband because he was part of my life, my routine.
It's been six years now but I talk to someone about something and I realize they don't have that memory, that the only person who knows exactly what I'm talking about isn't there anymore. I talk to people who will say "I can't believe he's been gone that long" or "So how long has it been" when I know because I've had to live without him every day of the six years and almost two months.
I've started a journal for our daughter so I can share some of these memories with her, tnings that we experienced together, how he marveled at his beloved infant daughter, how he was tickled that he has a daughter rather than a son, his love of music and his hijinks in high school and afterwards (even though he frequently got mad at her for her high school hijinks, he did the same things), things that she should know about her Papa, memories that will disappear if I don't write them down and shere them.
Anyway, holidays won't be the same but new memories and traditions can be implemented. I still have a few tree ornaments but each year purchase a few new ornaments, meaningful to me in some way so I have new memories when I put these ornaments on my tree alongside my old family ornaments.
RJ

stampingwidow

• nospam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
The book Decembered Grief has helped me this Christmas.  Younger friends have helped a lot.  One family did my Christmas decorating, which was a job I was not ready for.  Their children made it a delight.  Another couple brought me a gift & baked goods.  I really dreaded this Christmas!  So far it has been okay.  Sure there are tears at times, but thanks to the group, I realize that they are to be expected.  It is all right to cry.  I have participated in something's & not in others.

It is your choice!  I have found that it is possible to have some joy in this season, if you let yourself.  Christmas can help you heal.  Be accepting of others efforts to be of help.  Sometimes they can actually help.  I am enjoying the tree even though I thought I did not want it this year.  Some good intentions backfire!  My son is making a huge effort to have Christmas at my mothers home(which he is moving into.). He does not realize that it will make me miss my parents & my husband.  Part of my gift to him & his family is letting them do this for me.  I need to realize he is still grieving too.  All any of us can do is do the best we can, remind our selves that it is only a day or two.  Try to get what joy you can from it but do not be surprised if it hurts.